Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Listen to my Bird sing: my Gibson Firebird.

Default Listen to my Bird sing: my Gibson Firebird.

An idea I was kicking around. It started as a couple of chords I could practice my major scales with and ended up being this. I don't have any lyrics for it, tommorow I have a rehearsal with the rest of the trio and I'm sure this is going to morph into a different arrangement.

Most of this is my Firebird's neck pickup. I really like the sound, it's kind of like a heavier sounding strat.

Funkfingers

Default Re: Listen to my Bird sing: my Gibson Firebird.

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    it's kind of like a heavier sounding strat.
    Imagine, if you will, a 'Bird with three mini 'buckers and either a five-way lever selector switch or the Peter Frampton three pickup wiring. If Gibson is not currently making something like that, Fret King very probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Imagine, if you will, a 'Bird with three mini 'buckers and either a five-way lever selector switch or the Peter Frampton 3HB Les Paul wiring. If Gibson is not currently making something like that, Fret King very probably is.

Features

• Mahogany body
    • 9-ply neck-through construction
    • Rosewood fretboard
    • 3 mini-humbuckers with pickup switching system designed by Skunk Baxter
    • Chrome Lyre tailpiece with Steinberger tuners
    • Switching system allows for any pickup combination along with coil tap
    • Includes hardshell case

Funkfingers

I am not a fan of the Męstro Vibrola.

My other worry is the high output mini HBs. How hot are the pickups in your Firebird? Part of the Gibson-Meets-Strat sounds that you like comes from a relatively low output pickup with a narrow string sensing window.

Of course, the Skunkbird has coil splits but one coil of a hot 'Birdbucker is not the same as a vintage output pickup. It might be even closer to a Fender. (Probably, precisely what Baxter had in mind!) If you feel torn between getting a second Firebird or an American Stratocaster, the Skunkbird might be your solution.

All you need is cash.

I am not a fan of the Męstro Vibrola.

My other worry is the high output mini HBs. How hot are the pickups in your Firebird? Part of the Gibson-Meets-Strat sounds that you like comes from a relatively low output pickup with a narrow string sensing window.

Of course, the Skunkbird has coil splits but one coil of a hot 'Birdbucker is not the same as a vintage output pickup. It might be even closer to a Fender. (Probably, precisely what Baxter had in mind!) If you feel torn between getting a second Firebird or an American Stratocaster, the Skunkbird might be your solution.

All you need is cash.
    The pickups in my firebird weigh in, in terms of DC resistance, at 6k and 7k...

Funkfingers

IMO, there is something desirable about the sound of pickups like the ones you have that souped-up, coil-splittable, "voiced like a full-sized '57 Classic" pickups cannot match.

The three pickup idea is a good one but I would configure the controls differently.

What I think does not matter. The only real test is for you to take yo' hands and ears to a Gibson dealer and try a Skunkbird.

Another way to get a cross between Gibson and Fender characteristics would be a three pickup Cabronista Tele or Strat. You are perfectly capable of assembling such a guitar using Warmoth (or similar) parts. If you prefer a Gibson scale length, order a Scale Converter neck.

IMO, there is something desirable about the sound of pickups like the ones you have that souped-up, coil-splittable, "voiced like a full-sized '57 Classic" pickups cannot match.

The three pickup idea is a good one but I would configure the controls differently.

What I think does not matter. The only real test is for you to take yo' hands and ears to a Gibson dealer and try a Skunkbird.

Another way to get a cross between Gibson and Fender characteristics would be a three pickup Cabronista Tele or Strat. You are perfectly capable of assembling such a guitar using Warmoth (or similar) parts. If you prefer a Gibson scale length, order a Scale Converter neck.
    I'm partial to the firebird shape. I suppose a 3 pickup model with vintage style pickups would do, provided it had 3 way wiring or something similar.

Funkfingers

Tokai.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

That sounds really good dude. Congrats on the new geet. Based on the way that one sounds, I'd probably get a Firebird if I could gel with Gibsons.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Tokai.
    I found one but it was some alder guitar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    That sounds really good dude. Congrats on the new geet. Based on the way that one sounds, I'd probably get a Firebird if I could gel with Gibsons.
    The shape is very polarizing. Either you grab it and love it or grab it and set it back down.

I'm sure the "standard" model would be easier to pick up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk