Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

Default Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

I, as well as others, have hunted far and wide for definitive info on these older pickups. I have a couple sets of them but have long since lost the paperwork that came with them that specifically described the effect of the dip switches on them. There is info on the two switch models here on the SD website, but the three switch models has remained something of a mystery. While cruising around on EvilBay, I saw someone selling a three switch set with scans of the original paperwork so I grabbed them and am posting them here for posterity. Hope this helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeymourDuncanActiveEQ-PJ.jpg 
Views:	2869 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	53748

Name:	SeymourDuncanActiveEQ01.jpg 
Views:	1364 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	53749

Name:	SeymourDuncanActiveEQ02.jpg 
Views:	2614 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	53750

Funkfingers

Default Re: Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

You swine, you. I'm bidding on those. I collect them.

Swine or not, you'll get no competition from me. I have more sets of these than I have basses to put them in. I may be offering a set up for sale at some point, not sure yet.

They are great pups, I just thought the info would be good to have out there.

Funkfingers

The auction is over. I won the items for the starting price. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the Seller's PayPal registration. (Almost certainly, a misspelt e-mail address.) It could be a while until I receive my pickups.

Oh man, that would suck! To get through the anxiety of the whole bidding process, get to the end, win the thing you really wanted at the lowest possible price, and then not be able to complete the sale because of a technicality.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Funkfingers

No anxiety. No other bids. (I don't think that many British punters know about the old Active EQ series pickups let alone what a bargain the auction starting price was.)

Funkfingers

UPDATE
    PayPal issue resolved. (One dot too many in Seller's registered payment address.) Pickups on their way to me. Just need to decide on which bass to install them.

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar

Let us see when you decide on which bass!
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO

Funkfingers

Pickups arrived. Parcel included two spare triple DIP switch assemblies - never been used!

The epoxy on the underside of the AJB-1 bridge position pickup is kinda lumpy. It is possible to make out the shapes of components through the gloop.

Pics to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Pics to follow.
    Well?

Make with the pics man!
    I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

Funkfingers

UPDATE

I finally have a host instrument for the pickups - an almost new but somewhat scuffed Yamaha TRBX174. It is receiving the same treatment that I usually lavish on my Attitude Plus bass guitars. Namely, a Gotoh 201B bridge and American pickups/electronics.

The same idiot who often sells gear for a fraction of what is worth telephoned me this morning. He named a figure. I accepted it. The stock pickups got a cursory test through my amplifier before being unceremoniously removed.

I have the 2 dip switch version of these in my Warwick Corvette, have been thinking of replacing them by a system of Aguilar OBP-3 preamp and an DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Neck & Bridge set. Would it be an improvment to the sound u think?

P.s. I play a C-standard tunnig in quite slipknotish projekt ...

Funkfingers

Welcome to the forum.

On the 2 switch version of the Active EQ pickups, which two functions do you get?

I tend to think of the switches as varying the tone between vintage and modern. In my opinion, if you are not using the switches very often, you are not getting the most out of the pickups.

It has been my experience that switches on the pickups PLUS multi-band active EQ offers a surfeit of possibilities. I prefer to go one option or the other. With the switch pickups, I tend to have a simple treble roll off tone control. With multi-band active EQ, I use Pro Active or Lightnin' Rods pickups.

I cannot comment on the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups as I have never used them. Ironically, this is the exact model that I recommended to the idiot mentioned in post #11 when he bought back the TRBX174 - now, minus Gotoh bridge but plus a DiMarzio DP146 Will Power split coils pickup.

The switches slightly move the mids, but unfortunatly due to the age or my C-tunnig it`s really hard to notice any difference. To be confident i went to the local shop today and played one of the wicks with modern 3-band EQ, and was just stunned about the difference. Not shure if i should change the Pickups and go for the EQ, regarding the price it would be painfull, but on the other hand it will be very hard to decide what will influence the sound more, the pickups or the EQ.

Not to forget I'm not shure if these Seymour picks will go in line with the active EQ... I report tomorrow wich solution the technic dude suggests.

Funkfingers

My Warwick Streamer five stringer was modified by its previous owner. SD/Basslines Phase soapbar pickups through the stock Warwick control harness.

If you tune down, it might be worthwhile seeking an EQ with frequencies designed for BEADG tuning.

Just got back from the musicstore, finally decided to go for an Markbass Booster EQ pedal, the Tech adviced not to invest in a onboard Eq and Pickups, and try out an external Eq pedal like Sanamp. After having tested some stuff from EBS and Sansamp got an Markbass Booster EQ for 145 EUR although the former price was 215

I think it`s right to try to solve the "problem" easy at first. At least I have 14 days to give it back, and choose the other option of an internal preamp EQ...
    Yes you're right, the five-string disigned EQ should more suit my tunning, thanks !

Funkfingers

This thread seems as good a place as any to post this pic.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	59352

2012 Fender Am Std Jazz Bass, FSR hand-stained ash finish, raised logo SD Active EQ pickups, Parchment pickguard ℅ Chris of Arabia. Currently havering over metal versus plastic control knobs.

To BM and PR, the pad printed logo PJ pair in the OP have still not been installed permanently in any instrument. (The hacked down output cables somewhat restrict my options.)
    Last edited by Funkfingers; 12-10-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Sorry to be late to the party. That bass looks great! 'Course Active EQ's make ANY bass look great!

I need to buckle down and "Build" myself a J body with a P neck and PJ pups.
    I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

I recently got a bass who has these pickups on, i have to re-wire them but it came with a vol pot with a circuit board on it.. i thought these should be wired like passive pickups but just with 100k pots...
    can you help me?

Funkfingers

Welcome to the forum.

Photographs of the controls of your instrument would help to identify what function the PCB performs.

Some Warwick basses have a switch under the Volume pot to bypass the onboard active EQ. Shadow offers a Kill Switch in 25k format. EMG offers a booster device. Some Balance controls are buffered and include a PCB.