Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

Funkfingers

Default Re: Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

The Fender Jaguar Bass has passive pickups and coil interconnection switching, followed by cut/boost EQ.

Many brands include an active EQ bypass switch or push-pull pot. The idea is that, in the event of a battery failure, it is possible to continue to play in the passive mode.

Some more advanced circuitry leaves you with one passive treble roll off pot. Many leave you with no EQ whatsoever.

The FJB appears to be able to operate in Jazz Bass style VVT controls mode. In theory, with the pre-amp set to off, you should be able to remove the 9v battery with no ill effects. The pre-amp slider switch should then act like a kill switch.

Thanks--that's what I was hoping to hear about the FJB (that it can go straight Jazz Bass VVT).

My Mustang is getting lonely: I need another animal.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Hot for J bridge
    '99 fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Funkfingers

How about the elusive Rick 4002?

I'm not really ergonomically thrilled with Ricks. (Have had mine since it was new and would never sell it, but it doesn't get much playing time.)
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Hot for J bridge
    '99 fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Funkfingers

Keep 'em coming, dg27.

With any luck this thread will die and I shall never have to repeat any of my answers again.

Funkfingers

Damn! Projectitis!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00387.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	67025

Name:	DSC00389.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	67026

Active EQ series pickups, hard-wired to EMG Buss board. (I am increasingly choosing to install SD/Basslines bass guitar pickups in this manner.) Unless I invest in one of those Warwick stacked Vol/Bal stacked pots, all remaining control electronics will be EMG Solderless.

Funkfingers

Quote Originally Posted by Quakingmyth View Post
    I have the 2 dip switch version of these in my Warwick Corvette, have been thinking of replacing them by a system of Aguilar OBP-3 preamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakingmyth View Post
    Just got back from the music-store, the Tech advices not to invest in a onboard Eq and Pickups, and try out an external Eq pedal like Sansamp.
    I agree with your bass tech.

After extensive "guts out" testing with various onboard active EQ devices, I have decided that the EMG Passive Tone control is the most appropriate for this combination of bass guitar and pickups.

If I change my mind, the Solderless portion of my hybrid wiring harness means that modification is a five minute spanner and screwdriver job.

Funkfingers

UPDATE

Six months on and I am still enjoying the Warwick Corvette. The pickups lend it a superb modern bass guitar sound.

Unfortunately, this modern sound is precisely why I am removing the SD Active EQ pickups from this.Attachment 59352

I hate to admit it but EMG-JV pickups sound and, more importantly, feel more "Fender".

I acquired a pre-owned -JV pair with the intention of installing them in a pre-owned Squier VM Jazz Bass. Reader, I preferred the sound of the Squier over the American Standard Real Thing.

Cool Re: Seymour Duncan Active EQ Pickups Info

Hi, I know I'm reviving an older thread but I recently bought an APB-1 with the three dip switches and my question is this. What volume pot is better, 100K or 10K or 50K or 25K (50K & 25K more in line with EMG active values)? Anyone here experiment with even different values or using parallel resistance across the volume pot to achieve a desired sound?
    Thank you for your consideration.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by My Name Is The "1" View Post
    Hi, I know I'm reviving an older thread but I recently bought an APB-1 with the three dip switches and my question is this. What volume pot is better, 100K or 10K or 50K or 25K (50K & 25K more in line with EMG active values)? Anyone here experiment with even different values or using parallel resistance across the volume pot to achieve a desired sound?
    Thank you for your consideration.
    Use the same pots as you would for EMG

I put SD AJJ-1 actives into my bass, which came with 100k pots as part of the set...

About to complete a dual P pup bass using the original APB-1's with the three switches. I know this thread is almost zombified but I have a question. I want to install using a Klaus Noll parametric EQ. Do you think it would be overkill? Are these pups alone using a passive EQ tonally versatile?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by My Name Is The "1" View Post
    About to complete a dual P pup bass using the original APB-1's with the three switches. I know this thread is almost zombified but I have a question. I want to install using a Klaus Noll parametric EQ. Do you think it would be overkill? Are these pups alone using a passive EQ tonally versatile?
    Thanks
    IMO, if the Klaus Noll parametric EQ is compatable with the Active EQ pickups, it surely wouldn't hurt. The Switches only effect upper midrange and high freq's.

Name:	APB-1b.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	97911

I surely love those old pickups and the new ones without the switch's are awesome too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dUg-11.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	97912