Page 1 of 67 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1338

Thread: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

  1. #1
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Pretty self explanatory.

    Show off what's on your workbench!

    I'm gonna go restring my MIJ '62RI and change out the graphtech string savers saddles for ye olde bent steelies and perhaps set up the trem to go back to floating mode instead of locked down. Pics to come.

  2. #2
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,506

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    Pretty self explanatory.

    Show off what's on your workbench!

    I'm gonna go restring my MIJ '62RI and change out the graphtech string savers saddles for ye olde bent steelies and perhaps set up the trem to go back to floating mode instead of locked down. Pics to come.
    I have two, maybe 3 that are pending some work.


    #3: I don't have any pictures currently (and I'm out of town for the weekend), but I'm thinking about mag-swapping the Phat Cats in my SG. I generally like them, but the A2 EQ curve makes me stabby every time I play it plugged in. I really need to order some magnets and get to work.

    #2 Need to rewire & swap necks on my Tele:

    Some of you guys may remember this ugly thing from a few years ago. The vibramate is gone, the Bigsby is on my SG, I put a SM-1 in the neck, and I installed a brass Andy Summers style bridge. I recently found that the previous owner wired the switch so wrong that I'm honestly shocked it produced sound at all, so I need to install a new 3-way switch. I also swapped the useless GFS 'locking' tuners for a set of Jackson-branded Gotohs. The last two things I want to do are swap the el-cheapo mystery neck for a rosewood Blacktop Tele neck I just bought off ebay and replace that fugly pickguard with a 3-ply black one.

    #1 Need to rewire my 335:

    I really hate working on semi-hollows, so I've been putting this one off for the better part of 2 years. It sounds great unplugged, but like most A2s I just don't get along with the '57 Classics. I have 4 new 500K pots, a pair of nickel '59s, and .015/.022 orange drops that I'll be wiring 50s style.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,021

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    I have this one here I'm working on.

    http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...-into-firewood

  4. #4
    Super Toneologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    This guitar has been "in the works" for years now. Life changes are hopefully going to allow me to actually finish it up this summer:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	54577

    I designed this body shape years ago when I was in school and have built 3 guitars using it...all set necks & the first two were all Korina. This one, #3, will be all walnut with an ebony board. I've got some EVO wire and the bridge will be a TOM set up in a somewhat unique way.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	54579

    I bought this guitar on a whim one day, with the idea of upgrading it a bit. Well, so far I've taken all the finish off the body (over 1/32" thick!!) & cut down & reshaped the long, upper horn. This guitar will get new frets, a thinner finish & all new hardware. Why? I don't know... The plan as of now is for this to be my "strat" guitar.

  5. #5
    Senior Member ThunderLizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    My beloved but very damaged ML is on the bench right now. The lacquer finish on the neck was getting soft and tacky, the cracks in the body finish plus the fact I could easily see headstock repair all told me it was time to do a refinish. I feel BrianS's pain on thick finishes. The finish on the body of my ML is equally as thick and taking forever to strip. On the bright side the finish is much thinner on the neck.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140510-00019.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	54590
    For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

    For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

  6. #6
    Nerdy Nerd jon the art guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    citrus heights, ca
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    I'm lacing mesh heads onto my Alesis e-drums. Screen door mesh and mason line with a big fat upholstery needle.

    off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

  7. #7
    PowerMetalRaph kramersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,166

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

    For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

    No radius
    25.5 scale
    jumbo ss frets
    mahogany and maple
    reverse headstock



    And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it


    I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........

  8. #8
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    I have two, maybe 3 that are pending some work.


    #3: I don't have any pictures currently (and I'm out of town for the weekend), but I'm thinking about mag-swapping the Phat Cats in my SG. I generally like them, but the A2 EQ curve makes me stabby every time I play it plugged in. I really need to order some magnets and get to work.

    #2 Need to rewire & swap necks on my Tele:

    Some of you guys may remember this ugly thing from a few years ago. The vibramate is gone, the Bigsby is on my SG, I put a SM-1 in the neck, and I installed a brass Andy Summers style bridge. I recently found that the previous owner wired the switch so wrong that I'm honestly shocked it produced sound at all, so I need to install a new 3-way switch. I also swapped the useless GFS 'locking' tuners for a set of Jackson-branded Gotohs. The last two things I want to do are swap the el-cheapo mystery neck for a rosewood Blacktop Tele neck I just bought off ebay and replace that fugly pickguard with a 3-ply black one.

    #1 Need to rewire my 335:

    I really hate working on semi-hollows, so I've been putting this one off for the better part of 2 years. It sounds great unplugged, but like most A2s I just don't get along with the '57 Classics. I have 4 new 500K pots, a pair of nickel '59s, and .015/.022 orange drops that I'll be wiring 50s style.
    Nice! Yeah, working on hollowbodies is the worst thing ever. Even knowing how to do it doesn't make it any easier. Accompanying the work with beer is usually a good way to make it suck less though lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS. View Post
    This guitar has been "in the works" for years now. Life changes are hopefully going to allow me to actually finish it up this summer:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	449 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	54577

    I designed this body shape years ago when I was in school and have built 3 guitars using it...all set necks & the first two were all Korina. This one, #3, will be all walnut with an ebony board. I've got some EVO wire and the bridge will be a TOM set up in a somewhat unique way.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	54579

    I bought this guitar on a whim one day, with the idea of upgrading it a bit. Well, so far I've taken all the finish off the body (over 1/32" thick!!) & cut down & reshaped the long, upper horn. This guitar will get new frets, a thinner finish & all new hardware. Why? I don't know... The plan as of now is for this to be my "strat" guitar.
    I remember that body! Gorgeous piece of wood you have for that top. Is that a flamed walnut top or something else?
    Post a couple of pics of your work on the "strat" guitar too!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLizard View Post
    My beloved but very damaged ML is on the bench right now. The lacquer finish on the neck was getting soft and tacky, the cracks in the body finish plus the fact I could easily see headstock repair all told me it was time to do a refinish. I feel BrianS's pain on thick finishes. The finish on the body of my ML is equally as thick and taking forever to strip. On the bright side the finish is much thinner on the neck.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140510-00019.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	54590
    Hmmm.. Sounds like your guitar is experiencing a lot of temperature and potentially humidity fluctuations as well. It looks nice though. How are you planning on refinishing it?

  9. #9
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    I'm lacing mesh heads onto my Alesis e-drums. Screen door mesh and mason line with a big fat upholstery needle.

    off u see did MRSAge, I m on tapa talk and auto correct is hating on me
    I am intrigued. Why are you doing this?

    Quote Originally Posted by kramersteen View Post
    HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

    For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

    No radius
    25.5 scale
    jumbo ss frets
    mahogany and maple
    reverse headstock



    And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it


    I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........
    Raton. What do you have left to do on the fullmap?

    and what's the plan (Hardware/electronics) for virtus?

  10. #10
    PowerMetalRaph kramersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,166

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    Raton. What do you have left to do on the fullmap?

    and what's the plan (Hardware/electronics) for virtus?
    Fullmap is being finished with wipe on poly atm, Its really killing me i have reached a point where i just want it finished because so much of my time and effort has gone into it and now the final finish is breaking my balls open. Last time i use that minwax poly ****.

    Virtus was planned to use a rg550xh neck simulator preamp but i think i will save them for another build. I have two bkp sinners i will put in instead. Both will use a 3d6 bridge.

  11. #11
    Nerdy Nerd jon the art guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    citrus heights, ca
    Posts
    4,291

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    I am intrigued. Why are you doing this?
    playability.
    The concept of eDrums is very sound and the technology has caught up, for the most part. The main problem, aside from the sounds the drum brain is capable of making, is the feel of the drums themselves. The lower-end eDrums are bad enough to make a person not want to play drums at all. They're essentially on par with Guitar Hero drums (and I know how to mod those to have them work as eDrums too).

    The top Alesis models came with "realhead" drum pads instead of the rubber hockey pucks. These were a big step up as far as feel quality but were waaaaay off the mark Roland put down with their mesh heads.

    Come to find out that you can take the old mylar heads off the Alesis ones and install mesh heads on them, which dramatically increase the liveliness of the drum to make it feel more like a real drum, and lower the sound output of the stick thwacking up against a piece of metal-backed plastic. I priced those out and was ready to take the $120 plunge to get a set of Remos or a set of small-business pre-made heads when I found a youtube that went a step further...

    Dog-proof screen door mesh and a thick string to sew it with. Take the old mylar heads off and slice the head part from the ring, then sew a couple of layers of the mesh on. Fiddle with the underpadding in the drum a bit and put it back on like normal, and viola a mesh head on par with the Roland ones I've played, only it's $20 for enough mesh to do all the drums and $3 for enough mason line instead of paying $400-$600 per mesh drum from Roland.

    It's really the difference in taking 5 year old, crusty 11s off and replacing them with slick 9s. Once you get used to the new velocities you feel like a god of bending and solos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    Music is for life. Without parole.

  12. #12
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Not a build, but here's a whole buncha pictures. Because people like pictures.

    Here's the ol' gal. My first electric ever. I've replaced the pickups a buncha times, replaced the pickguard once. Replaced the electronics LOTS of times. It's all dinged up, much to blueman's horror. Here are some of the dings. Today my mission was to take off the graphtech saddles, replace em with bent steel. I also randomly decided to replace the 250k volume with a 500k, and while I was at it, I gave it a full setup specifically for tremolo madness.

    Here's all the dings and dents for Blueman and DreX, because I DO WHA' I WANT!!! :








    So first thing, off come the old strings, and then off comes the neck (Because it's a vintage style heel-adjust truss rod).



    I had a look at the nut. It looked like crap.

    Closeups (through my magnifying eyeglasses):




    Yeah, they'd need work. Got out the set of files and cleaned out the slots, reshaped a few of them in the Dan Erlewine style, and reshaped the top, sides and back of the nut so the edges were smooth instead of sharp.





    Then I cleaned off the fretboard, rubbed it down with steel wool to polish the frets, cleaned the fretboard again, and oiled it. (no pics of that, sorry).
    Next I got the pickguard off and replaced the volume pot. Here's the new one.


    While I had the bridge off the body to replace the saddles, I had a look at the knife edges. Or lack thereof. They are actually quite ledge-shaped. Poo.


    Anyway, saddles replaced, and body cleaned up.



    Onto the restringing and setup. I discovered that this neck is in fact a 7.25" radius, not 9.5" as I had thought all these years! Holy crap.


    Got her strung up, adjusted the bridge radius, action and intonation.


    One last check that everything was cool at the nut (everything was cool)


    And donezo!
    Last edited by CTN; 05-31-2014 at 03:25 PM.

  13. #13
    Super Toneologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Is that a flamed walnut top or something else?
    Yes. As you can see in the pic, the center of the bookmatched top is lighter colored than the edges. That is "white" wood, or I think some folks might call it sap wood. At any rate, due to the color variation we can't use it to build harps, so I took it home and put to some good use. Not sure if I'll dye it or leave it. It's about a 1/4" thick. The body is also walnut, but a much lighter weight piece. Walnut can vary greatly in its density from tree to tree, and I was happy to find a nice, light, clear grained board for the body. I also found a perfectly quartersawn board that I used for the neck blank. I think I'll have several nice neck blanks from that board!

    Here's a couple pics of the Aria in its current state. I used heat and a chisel to get the finish off (not a fan of chemical stripper). HUGE PITA. I guess you could describe the body as a "bread board"...7 pieces total. Not sure what wood species they used. I think I like it better without that long upper horn it originally had.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	54602

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	54603

  14. #14
    Senior Member ThunderLizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post

    Hmmm.. Sounds like your guitar is experiencing a lot of temperature and potentially humidity fluctuations as well. It looks nice though. How are you planning on refinishing it?
    Actually the finish on that guitar had issues early on. A few months after I had it built for me a bubble about the size of a half dollar formed in the finish on the back of the lower horn. That broke and exposed bare wood. A few years after that I let my brother borrow the guitar for a winter. He let it freeze overnight, was running late for a gig, opened the case while the guitar was frozen solid and CRACK there went the rest of the finish. The beautiful blueburst became a greenburst within 3 weeks and the neck paint started softening and shedding on my hand as I played it. Then a couple of years ago it was sitting on a stand and my daughter and a friend knocked it off snapping the headstock.

    The looks of the mahogany underneath has me thinking the guitar may just be refinished with a clear coat and just be done. Still thinking about a pickup change on it and am intrigued with how a Whole Lotta Humbucker would sound in it.
    For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

    For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

  15. #15
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS. View Post
    Yes. As you can see in the pic, the center of the bookmatched top is lighter colored than the edges. That is "white" wood, or I think some folks might call it sap wood. At any rate, due to the color variation we can't use it to build harps, so I took it home and put to some good use. Not sure if I'll dye it or leave it. It's about a 1/4" thick. The body is also walnut, but a much lighter weight piece. Walnut can vary greatly in its density from tree to tree, and I was happy to find a nice, light, clear grained board for the body. I also found a perfectly quartersawn board that I used for the neck blank. I think I'll have several nice neck blanks from that board!
    You sure got a looker, that's for sure. I feel like it's easier to see the flame on the sapwood so it's more crazy looking in those sections, and where it transitions to the heartwood it looks almost like black limba. beautiful!


    Here's a couple pics of the Aria in its current state. I used heat and a chisel to get the finish off (not a fan of chemical stripper). HUGE PITA. I guess you could describe the body as a "bread board"...7 pieces total. Not sure what wood species they used. I think I like it better without that long upper horn it originally had.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	54602

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	54603
    Gnarly! looks almost like those old Ibanez Roadstars. I totally know what you mean about the heat gun though. suuuuuuuuuuch a huge pain.

    Cheers!

  16. #16
    Super Toneologist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,365

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    ...the heat gun...
    Probably should not admit to this, but I actually used a small butane torch. I'd heat up small sections until they softened enough to get the chisel under them and then "peel" the finish off. It would harden back up as I was doing this, and I'd have paint chips flying everywhere. It was also very easy to overheat and burn the finish, which gave off some pretty strong fumes. I started wearing a respirator after the first couple rounds. Never again...

    I forgot to mention this in my last post: Nice work on those nut slots.

  17. #17
    Tone Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    341

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by kramersteen View Post
    HAHA haven't i taken enough of the forums space?

    For anyone that missed it i am working on my handmade 31 fret prototype,

    No radius
    25.5 scale
    jumbo ss frets
    mahogany and maple
    reverse headstock



    And the virtus 36 fret which is almost finished, Just awaiting funds to complete it


    I also have many other projects awaiting my time and funds........
    Niiice
    Heavy Duty

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions treyhaislip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,092

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Working on a Strat project--mahogany body and neck with rosewood fretboard. Using Gibson ceramic pickups.

    Attachment 54610

  19. #19
    Toneologist Oinkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yorktown VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    ESP/LTP Hybrid II right out of box Day 2 Tape job I sand the necks on my guitars by hand QA issues KNOT! Tung Oil Current Babicz TOM installed a little screwy drilled hole moved due to trying to find hole for ground wire had to fill and redrill bridge is a little bit out of line. Now it is waiting to install all new switch , jack and pots 500k push/push

  20. #20
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLizard View Post
    Actually the finish on that guitar had issues early on. A few months after I had it built for me a bubble about the size of a half dollar formed in the finish on the back of the lower horn. That broke and exposed bare wood. A few years after that I let my brother borrow the guitar for a winter. He let it freeze overnight, was running late for a gig, opened the case while the guitar was frozen solid and CRACK there went the rest of the finish. The beautiful blueburst became a greenburst within 3 weeks and the neck paint started softening and shedding on my hand as I played it. Then a couple of years ago it was sitting on a stand and my daughter and a friend knocked it off snapping the headstock.

    The looks of the mahogany underneath has me thinking the guitar may just be refinished with a clear coat and just be done. Still thinking about a pickup change on it and am intrigued with how a Whole Lotta Humbucker would sound in it.
    yikes. Sometimes a cursed guitar just needs some TLC to make it feel better about the world and stop being so accursed lol. But on the bright side, if it's a nice piece/pieces of mahogany, that could end up looking really pretty with just a clear coat, or oil or shellac or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS. View Post
    Probably should not admit to this, but I actually used a small butane torch. I'd heat up small sections until they softened enough to get the chisel under them and then "peel" the finish off. It would harden back up as I was doing this, and I'd have paint chips flying everywhere. It was also very easy to overheat and burn the finish, which gave off some pretty strong fumes. I started wearing a respirator after the first couple rounds. Never again...

    I forgot to mention this in my last post: Nice work on those nut slots.
    butane torch eh? man you're brave. I would've been scared sh!tless of burning up the body. Even with a heatgun though, it's still such a huge pain. I was using a heatgun and paint scraper to get the thick polyester finish off an old hondo bass some time back. I think it took me like a week to get it all off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oinkus View Post
    ESP/LTP Hybrid II right out of box Day 2 Tape job I sand the necks on my guitars by hand QA issues KNOT! Tung Oil Current Babicz TOM installed a little screwy drilled hole moved due to trying to find hole for ground wire had to fill and redrill bridge is a little bit out of line. Now it is waiting to install all new switch , jack and pots 500k push/push
    nicely done!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •