Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1348

Thread: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

  1. #21
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    playability.
    The concept of eDrums is very sound and the technology has caught up, for the most part. The main problem, aside from the sounds the drum brain is capable of making, is the feel of the drums themselves. The lower-end eDrums are bad enough to make a person not want to play drums at all. They're essentially on par with Guitar Hero drums (and I know how to mod those to have them work as eDrums too).

    The top Alesis models came with "realhead" drum pads instead of the rubber hockey pucks. These were a big step up as far as feel quality but were waaaaay off the mark Roland put down with their mesh heads.

    Come to find out that you can take the old mylar heads off the Alesis ones and install mesh heads on them, which dramatically increase the liveliness of the drum to make it feel more like a real drum, and lower the sound output of the stick thwacking up against a piece of metal-backed plastic. I priced those out and was ready to take the $120 plunge to get a set of Remos or a set of small-business pre-made heads when I found a youtube that went a step further...

    Dog-proof screen door mesh and a thick string to sew it with. Take the old mylar heads off and slice the head part from the ring, then sew a couple of layers of the mesh on. Fiddle with the underpadding in the drum a bit and put it back on like normal, and viola a mesh head on par with the Roland ones I've played, only it's $20 for enough mesh to do all the drums and $3 for enough mason line instead of paying $400-$600 per mesh drum from Roland.

    It's really the difference in taking 5 year old, crusty 11s off and replacing them with slick 9s. Once you get used to the new velocities you feel like a god of bending and solos.
    That's awesome man. I really miss playing drums.

  2. #22
    Senior Member ThunderLizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    64

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    yikes. Sometimes a cursed guitar just needs some TLC to make it feel better about the world and stop being so accursed lol. But on the bright side, if it's a nice piece/pieces of mahogany, that could end up looking really pretty with just a clear coat, or oil or shellac or something.
    I really feel bad for the guitar since it always played and sounded great. The wood underneath is pretty enough to be top notch furniture quality so I'm thinking a nice thin clear coat with maybe the neck just oiled will be a good choice.
    For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

    For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

  3. #23
    I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,682

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Well, if you tripped across a set of Grover Pearl tuners for a sweet sweet price while hanging w/ Bass Medic and Startdeluxer, like these…..




    And had a killer but cheap Les Paul Black Beauty copy, I'd say there is only one thing to do.

    Last edited by Aceman; 06-01-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  4. #24
    Toneologist Oinkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yorktown VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    BTW that is my only SD equipped guitar , STK-1 set. They sound good but are not P 90s , sort of P 90ish more or less without the hum. Have to say for a cheaper type guitar the work on it is pretty decent and the XJ frets are spot on. In 5 years or so put some stainless steel frets on it if it gets played enough.

  5. #25
    I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,682

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Mother &^%&^%


    Can't find the bridge and stop bar! I'll be going chrome in the end….but at the moment, would have been nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  6. #26
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Well, if you tripped across a set of Grover Pearl tuners for a sweet sweet price while hanging w/ Bass Medic and Startdeluxer, like these…..




    And had a killer but cheap Les Paul Black Beauty copy, I'd say there is only one thing to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Mother &^%&^%


    Can't find the bridge and stop bar! I'll be going chrome in the end….but at the moment, would have been nice.
    that's a nice lookin axe duder. why do you not have a super distortion in the bridge?

  7. #27
    PowerMetalRaph kramersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,599

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    I have been touching up my carving i did. This is the start of something big i know that much. I dont know how many more hobbies my wife can handle haha.




    Not bad for a first attempt.

    And here is my custom carved jack for my project, Its almost finished i just need to do another coat of shielding paint on the back and touch up the black.

  8. #28
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,818

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    My les Paul burst 'clone'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1100.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	54636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1097.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	54637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1115.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	54638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1199.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	54639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1211.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	54640  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0030.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	54641  

  9. #29
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by kramersteen View Post
    I have been touching up my carving i did. This is the start of something big i know that much. I dont know how many more hobbies my wife can handle haha.




    Not bad for a first attempt.

    And here is my custom carved jack for my project, Its almost finished i just need to do another coat of shielding paint on the back and touch up the black.
    good stuff man. the carving reminds me a little of Iron Maiden's eddie.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    My les Paul burst 'clone'
    damn, nicely done! Doesn't really look like it's on your workbench anymore though eh?

  10. #30
    PowerMetalRaph kramersteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone
    Age
    34
    Posts
    15,599

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    ^^^ aiii thanks man eddie is great so that works for me. I cant wait to do a fully carved custom guitar.

  11. #31
    Tone Member stringbender11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    PNW - where it rains..a lot!
    Posts
    180

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Some cool projects on here. I don't have any pics at the moment but am about finish a Strat parts guitar.

    Ingredients are: US made pea soup green body, all-parts rosewood neck, Fender staggered tuners, Seymour Duncan bridge HB, G&L single coils in the mid & neck positions, highway 1 bridge w/bent steel saddles, highway 1 neck plate & screws, & various other US parts to complete the package.

    Should make a killer Strat once its done. I did the basic assembly but have my favorite tech doing the fine tuning.

  12. #32
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Age
    26
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    My les Paul burst 'clone'
    THAT is beautiful!! Well done!
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

  13. #33
    I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,682

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    that's a nice lookin axe duder. why do you not have a super distortion in the bridge?
    Because my Super D. is in the bridge of my 73 Les Paul. That's a Tone Zone. There WILL be a SuperD in there….
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  14. #34
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,818

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chocklit_Thunda View Post
    THAT is beautiful!! Well done!
    Thanks man!

    I've been hanging out over at the Luthiers Corner on MLP, so I've been going all corksniffer on wood, binding, inlays and various plastics

  15. #35
    Toneologist Oinkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yorktown VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Current project is this Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy It came with Emg 81/85 set , not my thing really. Ebony board 24 3/4 scale 24 crowded frets which you were unable to reach, Took a planer to it and hacked off wood on the heel. Thinking about putting mini humbuckers in it , definitely going to recess route the Floyd. Those pups came out of my last complete rebuild an Epi Dot Deluxe and they just are not good, supposed to be classic 57s not remotely close.

  16. #36
    Toneologist Kais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    I built a replica of a strat that I really liked: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...-Strat-Project

    but I wasn't happy with the color body, so I'm in the process and getting another one, and unloading the previous body. check that link for all the pics and stuff!
    Last edited by Kais; 06-02-2014 at 10:31 AM.

  17. #37
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,624

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    I realized I have a 4th project on hold. My Les Paul needs a little work...

    First and foremost it needs a refret. I had it leveled a few years ago, but the tech screwed up something because it's fretting out again. Planning to have it refretted with 6150SS and have it plek'd. Second I need to completely rewire it as I stole the pots for longcat's LP. I have a pair of zebra 4-conductor '59s, four 500K push-pulls, and .015/.022 orange drops, so I'm going to try Jimmy Page wiring 50s style.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  18. #38
    The Drama Dude CTN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,984

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by Oinkus View Post
    Current project is this Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy It came with Emg 81/85 set , not my thing really. Ebony board 24 3/4 scale 24 crowded frets which you were unable to reach, Took a planer to it and hacked off wood on the heel. Thinking about putting mini humbuckers in it , definitely going to recess route the Floyd. Those pups came out of my last complete rebuild an Epi Dot Deluxe and they just are not good, supposed to be classic 57s not remotely close.
    Nice work on the heel. You gonna refinish that bit of it and blend it with the neck?

    Quote Originally Posted by qaiso View Post
    I built a replica of a strat that I really liked: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...-Strat-Project

    but I wasn't happy with the color body, so I'm in the process and getting another one, and unloading the previous body. check that link for all the pics and stuff!
    I've been following your progress! Looking forward to seeing what happens with it, although when it was "complete", it did look reeeeeeeeeal nice!

    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    I realized I have a 4th project on hold. My Les Paul needs a little work...

    First and foremost it needs a refret. I had it leveled a few years ago, but the tech screwed up something because it's fretting out again. Planning to have it refretted with 6150SS and have it plek'd. Second I need to completely rewire it as I stole the pots for longcat's LP. I have a pair of zebra 4-conductor '59s, four 500K push-pulls, and .015/.022 orange drops, so I'm going to try Jimmy Page wiring 50s style.
    that's purty man. what's with that red bit on the lower bout by the controls? Is a cherryburst that faded everywhere else but there?

  19. #39
    Toneologist Oinkus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Yorktown VA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    It is sanded to 800 grit and Tung oiled just has a spot of epoxy where I found the dern neck pocket. No matter what anyone says a high end Epi is not close to a Gibson but they can be nice. Its a mahogany body so it just looks grainy it is smooth as silk. I am not much on refinishing paint unless it is on a house something flat square and easy.

  20. #40
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Age
    26
    Posts
    535

    Default Re: Who's working on a build right now? Let's see your stuff!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    Thanks man!

    I've been hanging out over at the Luthiers Corner on MLP, so I've been going all corksniffer on wood, binding, inlays and various plastics
    Definitely worth the corksniffery! I have yet to try a burst myself but if I can get it looking close to what you have here, I'll be happy. I don't have the advantage of being in the US of A or close by so shipping usually kills me. Corksniffing isn't an option for me... I work with what I can get.
    Again congrats! Very nice guitar indeed!
    There's nothing less metal than trying to act metal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •