Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double thick alnico magnets

Toneologist

Default Double thick alnico magnets

Well...as I can't buy double thick alnico magnets I'm going to try an experiment. I taped two rough cast UOA5's together forcing north pole against north pole and south against south. Did the same thing with a couple of rough cast A2's. Not sure how it will work out, but I'm going to stick them in a Distortion Mayhem set...hopefully tonight if my "daddy duties" don't bog me down too late. If they work out ok I'll order some A4's and A3's for more experimentation.

Questionologist

Default Re: Double thick alnico magnets

I've got some double thick (1/4") A5's and A2's if you want to buy. PM me or something.
    Generic signature line.

Ultimate Tone Member InbredJunk's Avatar

I've heard that the rough cast double thick alnico mags were used in the 50's era gibson pickups. Humbuckers and p90 pups alike.

Toneologist

Too many chores tonight. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow night. Plus...I just got a new amp to pummel!

I tried two alnicos together in a HB, to fill the space of a double thick ceramic. They had a weak sound, seemed like most of their energy was directed at each other and not the strings.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by InbredJunk View Post
    I've heard that the rough cast double thick alnico mags were used in the 50's era gibson pickups. Humbuckers and p90 pups alike.
    Not likely doublethick.....but the roughcast or sandcast used often are slightly overdimensioned.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I tried two alnicos together in a HB, to fill the space of a double thick ceramic. They had a weak sound, seemed like most of their energy was directed at each other and not the strings.
    That's what I'm thinking too, other than most magnetic flux being wasted on repelling the two mags, I think this will cause mag degaussing over time. Really not a mag wizard myself, but I think we need few in this forum. Lotsa ppl doing layman stuff, that I feel is really counter productive.

I would think that it would make more sense to stick them together, north to south as then the magnet would behave as just a thicker version of the two separate ones. Would it not? Hmm, now I may just have to try it for myself. Maybe in that JB that I was going to put the double thick ceramic in.

Quote Originally Posted by InbredJunk View Post
    In the 50s double thick alnicos were actually used in Gretsch Filtertrons. That's one reason that they don't feel weak for the amount of wire on the bobbin. There were actually two sizes Gibson used and were called short and long magnets. Additionally, Tim Shaw used larger than standard magnets when he designed the "Shaw" Humbucker that was Gibson's first attempt at recreating a PAF.
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I would think that it would make more sense to stick them together, north to south as then the magnet would behave as just a thicker version of the two separate ones. Would it not? Hmm, now I may just have to try it for myself. Maybe in that JB that I was going to put the double thick ceramic in.
    I don't thick that ll work either. If u stick them together, it will simply complete the magnetic circuit or whatever u call it, making even lesser magnetic flux available around the strings to detect movement

~EDITED FOR CLARITY~

Forcing the same poles of 2 magnets together merely deforms the magnetic fields of each and will NOT increase the overall strength of the magnets.

However, placing 2 magnets in attracting positions (depending on how you do it...see next page for explanatory diagram) can allow the combined magnets to act as a larger singular magnet and the overall strength WILL increase.

Details worth mentioning:

1) Doubling the magnetic material does NOT result in doubling the overall strength.
    2) Diminishing returns: Every magnet you "stack" yields less and less additional increase in strength.
    3) Stacking magnets changes the overall dimensions of the effective "magnet" and the resulting magnetic field with have slightly different characteristics.

NOTE: In the case of pickup bar magnets, "stacking" 2 magnets on top of each other will NOT increase the strength of the overall field. See the next page for my explanatory diagram.
    Last edited by masta' c; 09-16-2014 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks man this really cleared most of my doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I would think that it would make more sense to stick them together, north to south as then the magnet would behave as just a thicker version of the two separate ones.
    That's what I'm referring to, two magnets together attracted not repelling, that's where you get a weak PU. Their strength is directed at pulling towards each other.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Toneologist

Great info here, folks. After checking out the link from masta'c I reoriented my magnets so they attract instead of repel.

Quote Originally Posted by toneseeker74 View Post
    Great info here, folks. After checking out the link from masta'c I reoriented my magnets so they attract instead of repel.
    Let us know how it sounds. From what I see on the link posted by mastaC, doubling the magnets in this way appears to increase the field line density. While not doubling it in strength, it does increase it. Don't forget, magnetism is connected to electricity: electromagnetism.

A basic diagram showing how a magnetic field is affected when the dimensions of the magnet are changed:

Note that pickup bar magnets have the poles oriented along the longer sides of the bar, which is different than what you will see in most diagrams:

Last edited by masta' c; 09-16-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Magnets Attracting:

Magnets Repelling:

Last edited by masta' c; 09-16-2014 at 02:39 AM.

King Midas to Cheap Guitars dominus's Avatar

I have a pair of A9s here. Hmmm.

"Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 15,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Toneologist

Love it, Dominus!

Tonight I decided that I would try stacking two A5's together and I did so on cheap neck single coil in my strat copy that I just recently removed the ceramic from. I figured since I had already glued the one A5 in place, it would be easy enough to just align another A5 in the same north/south direction and just let the natural magnetism stick them together. I've detailed it in another post called "single coil modding". I'm going to give it a few days to let the field settle. So far, it sounds ok, not as bassy as the standard cheap ceramic in the middle, with a bit less output, but is has a very sweet tone. Running both the neck and middle together produces a very useable tone. The neck by itself is a little quiet, but kicking in some clean boost solves that problem.