Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    If you like Guthrie, please for the love of music check out the Aristocrats. They're beyond incredible.
    thanks, perfect suggestion for me! I dig this, I added to my spotify playlist, cheers

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    I can play garbage on my own stuff for free.

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    She's the best part of this thread, so far.

Little Pigbacon

Fun fact: The guy on the drums produced Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    if yall dont like Joes solo band or "black country communion" band, then what bands do you like in this genre? just curious cause I want to check em out. I have been digging all of Joes heavy blues stuff (not the slow ballads) and am looking for similar stuff to listen to.
    Go back in time a bit, and hear the Deep Purple albums 'Burn', 'Stormbringer', and 'Come Taste the Band' (with Tommy Bolin), and you'll hear that style of music done right. BCC was too derivative to me- certainly nothing that hadn't been done before. And I like Mr. Hughes- listen to him on the Black Sabbath album 'Seventh Star', 'Eighth Star' and Tony Iommi's 'Fused'. But I think he is at his best when he has a guitarist that has their own thing going on.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

great guitar player, but he's just not my bag.

IMO, theres a total lack of class displayed in this thread . ( yeah, I been lurking).First of all, Seymour invites you into his house very graciously, and what do you do?? You diss his friend? Let me ask you this..would you do that directly , lets say, in a party, at Seymours house..well thats sort of what this is..would you all walk up and talk trash then about Joe B.?
    I wouldn't, and not even if I didn't dig him, except I do dig Joe B. and his music a lot! I think he is great!!...Most music lovers agree thank gosh.
    Thankfully its a small group of malcontents here that does not represent the general public.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 09-27-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    IMO, theres a total lack of class displayed in this thread . ( yeah, I been lurking).First of all, Seymour invites you into his house very graciously, and what do you do?? You diss his friend? Let me ask you this..would you do that directly , lets say, in a party, at Seymours house..well thats sort of what this is..would you all walk up and talk trash then about Joe B.?
    I wouldn't, and not even if I didn't dig him, except I do dig Joe B. and his music a lot! I think he is great!!...Most music lovers agree thank gosh.
    Thankfully its a small group of malcontents here that does not represent the general public.
    The majority of people in this thread agreed he is a talented guy. Most have given his music thoughtful consideration and have decided he is not their cup of tea. For the most part this has been a civil discussion about music, exchanging views and preferences, until now. The "Seymour's House" party scenerio you speak of is weak. This is a discussion board for musicians. What we are doing is having a discussion. No one is being disrespectful to Seymour or the company. Additionally I haven't seen harsh or pointed words in this thread until now. Bottom line is Seymour is probably friends with most of the great guitarists living and dead. Being his friend does not exempt a guitarist being critiqued or discussed here or anywhere else.
    Last edited by Securb; 09-27-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Get back in your cell Otis!
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Ah I forgot it is Saturday, Jim Beam Maple night.

Considering the abundant harsh and cocky discussions I ve witnessed in this forum I don't think this thread is even close to the worst. If it helps I will take back the Wayne Sheppard mocker on behalf of the few admirers who were hurt here. And people we were talking about his amps. Personally I value JB as good player. I wouldn't lie I'm more inspired by his big sound than his playing. His playing is way better than some, just that after a while listening to him continuously u find things start to become mundane. And that's just me, and I've been plenty times wrong. And I'm certainly not being way too serious thinking that way

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Yes Deputy Fife.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Unseen

I do not listen to very many modern players, I am just not into it!
    Lots of them are fantastic on their instruments, do amazing stuff, and have a vast base of knowledge.
    Good tones and fun cool soundscapes!
    As time has moved, I have become alot more tolerant to alot of stuff, and why it is important to have different tastes.

I do not listen to them much, because it is not really my thing, but I am not going to dislike them for that!
    For one I think it is cool that people still wanna play guitar, maybe it is just a matter of time before some more will refine their playing and be more personal in their playing?!

Much is still a tad too polite and correct, to use some worn out terms
    It still takes effort to become good, that has not changed, but it certanly has become abit easier to get material now!
    As for gear.....still way too much emphasis on that one! But it is also great fun and one can learn alot....

Anyways I am curious about the future, so I'll just keep listening now and then, see what is going on, always interesting!

says the guy who rags on people and things in about 90% of his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Ah I forgot it is Saturday, Jim Beam Maple night.
    don't hate I am deep into the Wild Turkey

I picked up some Black country Communion partly because i wanted to see what the current "state of the art" of conventional hard rock was. Some good, some not so good but worth a listen.

I am not a "technical" player by a long, long shot. Bonamassa is light years ahead of me in terms of skill but I get what people are saying about his playing not being inspired.

My own take on him is that he's a technical player, and that we need people who are great technical players to let us know what is possible and to push the envelope. Does he make the girls' booties shake? Maybe not but we still need guys like him who explore the limits of technique, gear, lead guitar as an instrument, and who apply it in real world gigging situations as working musicians.

His "greatest blues player" shtick can come across the wrong way. I doubt he is really that arrogant in person, and let's be honest dude is trying to make a living any way he can - it's tough out there.

My understanding is that he left BCC because they just weren't pulling enough butts in seats to fund their touring apparatus. It was costing him money when he could be on tour doing his own thing.

Point being, I appreciate and admire JB for what he brings to the guitar playing community, and I respect that he's a survivor in a tough time for guys doing what he does. He's in a totally different league from me as a player, and yet I probably wouldn't trade my sloppy, knuckle-dragging licks for his, because I'm good with who i am.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    I picked up some Black country Communion partly because i wanted to see what the current "state of the art" of conventional hard rock was. Some good, some not so good but worth a listen.

I am not a "technical" player by a long, long shot. Bonamassa is light years ahead of me in terms of skill but I get what people are saying about his playing not being inspired.

My own take on him is that he's a technical player, and that we need people who are great technical players to let us know what is possible and to push the envelope. Does he make the girls' booties shake? Maybe not but we still need guys like him who explore the limits of technique, gear, lead guitar as an instrument, and who apply it in real world gigging situations as working musicians.

His "greatest blues player" shtick can come across the wrong way. I doubt he is really that arrogant in person, and let's be honest dude is trying to make a living any way he can - it's tough out there.

My understanding is that he left BCC because they just weren't pulling enough butts in seats to fund their touring apparatus. It was costing him money when he could be on tour doing his own thing.

Point being, I appreciate and admire JB for what he brings to the guitar playing community, and I respect that he's a survivor in a tough time for guys doing what he does. He's in a totally different league from me as a player, and yet I probably wouldn't trade my sloppy, knuckle-dragging licks for his, because I'm good with who i am.
    With Jason Bonham on drums and JB's bluesy hard rock approach to the guitar I was hoping for something a little more Led Zep sounding. I thought it was a bit derivative of the 70's arena rock vibe. With that in mind when is the last time a supergroup hit one out of the park? Not since Cream, LZ or Dirty Mac in my opinion. In most cases the parts are not greater than the whole.

Some of it may be how it was produced. JB's guitar sounds a little squishy in parts, overcompressed or remote. Some of the songs are pretty decent but overall it's hit & miss. A big part of why I checked them out is that I find Glenn Hughes amusing... that dude has lived like 4 lives in the space of one... His voice can either be great, or just ridiculous, depending on how far he lets himself go. I was a big fan of Trapeze. BCC's version of "Medusa" tries hard but falls short, IMHO.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    With that in mind when is the last time a supergroup hit one out of the park?
    Just my opinion, but I would say that Them Crooked Vultures are a home run.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flannel View Post
    If it is fine for people to feel that way, why would you rebuke us for voicing our opinions. I think everybody here has been pretty polite.
    I have not read all the posts, but yeah, I have not seen anything outrageous.
    I meet, talk to, email, and repair amps for A LOT of guitar players. Until a few moths ago, I would say Most of them had no idea who Joe B was.
    There are LOTS of guitar palyers in The World, and lots of styles of playing. Joe appeals to a fairly narrow margin of the music going public.
    When I ask players about him...I hear common critiques:
    He is a mediocre singer.
    Not a great song writer.
    He likes to play A LOT of notes.

A Lot of guys on guitar and amp forums think he is fabulous (though many do not).
    I have seen him twice. The second time I left after about 30 minutes. TO ME...there is not much heart and soul in his playing. He is a very capable player...but music is about A Lot more than that. And yeah...all the notes start to sound like a wank-fest.
    Look at the comments in this video. This is how a lot of people feel about Joe. Some of the same things you read here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztYiIqx8XI