Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 117

Thread: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

  1. #81
    Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,423

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    That was a cool video. I was surprised at the 1:40 mark, they showed Derek Trucks name, but no one else's. So, did they think we wouldn't know who he is?

  2. #82
    Ultimate Tone Member Detroitblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Troy, Michigan
    Posts
    470

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Except they shared the stage for Bonamassa's Royal Albert Hall concert. Yea, I'm pretty sure people who are in the industry know and respect him. Can't blame the guy for being talented enough as both a musician and a businessman. He has a great promoter that not only gets his name out there, he/she has polished Joe's image from being a jeans and long-hair hippie player to a suit and slick hair refined gentleman. But to us he's a really guitar junky like the rest of us that if we had his money to buy whatever gear we wanted, when we wanted like he does, we would. I don't read about him spending his money on big houses like Darryl Hall or fancy cars like how Clapton is well known for his Ferrari collection. We get jealous because we'd love to have just a couple of what he has. How many of us can buy a vintage, near mint Fender Stratocaster and run it though a vintage Fender amp from the same year, for nearly every year Fender existed and not be a bit jealous!

    Heck, Johnny 5 brags about owning a Telecaster from nearly every year since they were created.

    I find it rather refreshing that Joe B. actually has taste for tone, not boutique amps. He mentions Lab 5 amp that we can get for a couple hundred bucks? I'm sure his shoes cost more than that. Then a run of the mill production amp like the '67 Deluxe Reverb as a great amp to have? I nearly bought one because he mentioned it. I am guilty for buying a Marshall DSL40C because of a giveaway promotion video he did playing through one.
    Last edited by Detroitblues; 10-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.

  3. #83
    Super Toneologist
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    in a box X_x
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Can someone point me towards some of his more popular or good stuff? I have youtube'd him before & got his live performances which were cool but i'd like to check out more stuff that i,ve not come across randomly.

  4. #84
    Mojo's Minions everdrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TEXAS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    I suggest downloading spotify and listening to all his albums, thats what I did and it is pretty awesome stuff! check out black country communion.

  5. #85
    Super Toneologist
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    in a box X_x
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Last time i checked Spotify was US only & wouldn't open on the pc. I wonder if there's an android version thats global. I'll check out that album on youtube now

  6. #86
    Mojo's Minions everdrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TEXAS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    cool, it is a band with Joe as the guitarist, I like most their stuff that is not ballads

    of Joe's solo stuff I like Dust Bowl and the Ballad

  7. #87
    Ultimate Tone Slacker SFW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,767

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Personally, I think Joe is a really good blues rock guitarist. I've seen him twice, and both times he delivered great performances. Personally, I like his tone. I haven't liked every release he has put out. The Black Rock album just doesn't move me. I do have to say that I have tremendous respect for him. He has managed to carve out a career as a musician in a genera that doesn't usually command much attention.
    2000 Charvel Journeyman (JB)
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2017 Charvel San Dimas (JB/59)

  8. #88
    Mojo's Minions jmh151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    I don't hate him, like others have said, I just don't like the industry's "forced guitar god" status of him.

    I find his playing uninspiring, but I feel the same way about Steve Vai.

    Joe B. is a blues guitarist who, when he was being discovered, couldn't sing, and needed his voice to mature. That's what killed his career and why he's not a household name like SRV, Clapton, BB King, Albert King, etc... You have to be a performer and sing if you're going to be a Blues star.

    He's been around enough and paid his dues

  9. #89
    Mojo's Minions everdrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TEXAS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    I wish he would get some grit in his voice like kenny wayne sheppard did at like age 18

  10. #90
    Toneologist Nacho8807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flint, MI USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    882

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Joe Bonamassa is to the blues what Steve Vai is to shred, and Zakk Wylde is to metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

    Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

  11. #91
    Toneologist Nacho8807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flint, MI USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    882

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    I wish he would get some grit in his voice like kenny wayne sheppard did at like age 18
    KWS doesn't sing. He has a singer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

    Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

  12. #92
    Mojo's Minions Edgecrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    American lost in Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,663

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Nacho8807 View Post
    Joe Bonamassa is to the blues what Steve Vai is to shred, and Zakk Wylde is to metal.
    Vastly over rated poser?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

    "Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

  13. #93
    Toneologist Nacho8807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Flint, MI USA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    882

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Vastly over rated poser?
    So you agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

    Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

  14. #94
    Mojo's Minions everdrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TEXAS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Nacho8807 View Post
    KWS doesn't sing. He has a singer.
    good call, my bad. just listening to spotify, but I checked out some youtube just now the vocals do a lot of good for his stuff.

  15. #95
    SDUGF Founder Evan Skopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Goleta, California, USA
    Posts
    7,844

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Joe B does play blues, that's for sure. But he's a lot more than that. He's a chickin pickin' phenom who studied with Danny Gatton as a pre-teen. He's a rock player, as has been mentioned. He can shred like Eric Johnson. He's great on an acoustic. He can play World Music. And he's got a great jazz-jam-funk project called Rock Candy Funk Party. Plus he can be a band leader in each of these genres.

    Not only that, but Joe owns his own label, management and touring company. He gets 100 cents on every dollar he sells. He was never part of the Major Label system. That's why you don't hear him on radio. He's really an innovator in a lot of ways that go far beyond his music virtuosity. Whether you find his music inspiring or not, I think all pro-musicians respect him for what he's done (and many wish they could've done it his way).

    For the second time in two years, he'll be playing a benefit concert in Santa Barbara later this month to raise money for after-school music. And he's not taking a cent.

    Back to the OT, the first time I met him, all he wanted to talk about were his Seymour Duncan Convertible Amps. He's got the gear bug as bad as any of us. Worse, probably. His dad owns a guitar shop in Upstate NY. He's got it in his blood. And believe it or not, he'll take a 'Burst or a Broadcaster or whatnot out on the road with him. Those are tools to him and he uses them to get his tone.

    He's a very accessible guy and he often has meet and greets at his shows. If you get the chance to meet him, I would recommend it. Like meeting Seymour for the first time, you'll be struck by how "normal" he is. Until he gets up on stage and plugs in.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

  16. #96
    Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jax, FL
    Age
    65
    Posts
    19,423

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    He's a very accessible guy and he often has meet and greets at his shows.
    Yup. My friend and I were waiting out front of The Florida Theater for the doors to open to one of his shows, and he came out of a side door and just started shooting the breeze with us. He even signed my friends LP. Completely ordinary down-to-earth kinda guy.

    By the way, I don't get the comments about his singing. I've seen him twice, and have his "Albert Hall" DVD, and I think he sings way better than many. Just my 2-cents.

  17. #97
    Mojo's Minions everdrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TEXAS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Name:  joe_bonamassa_guitar_rig_2010.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  167.4 KB

  18. #98

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Skopp View Post
    Joe B does play blues, that's for sure. But he's a lot more than that. He's a chickin pickin' phenom who studied with Danny Gatton as a pre-teen. He's a rock player, as has been mentioned. He can shred like Eric Johnson. He's great on an acoustic. He can play World Music. And he's got a great jazz-jam-funk project called Rock Candy Funk Party. Plus he can be a band leader in each of these genres.

    Not only that, but Joe owns his own label, management and touring company. He gets 100 cents on every dollar he sells. He was never part of the Major Label system. That's why you don't hear him on radio. He's really an innovator in a lot of ways that go far beyond his music virtuosity. Whether you find his music inspiring or not, I think all pro-musicians respect him for what he's done (and many wish they could've done it his way).

    For the second time in two years, he'll be playing a benefit concert in Santa Barbara later this month to raise money for after-school music. And he's not taking a cent.

    Back to the OT, the first time I met him, all he wanted to talk about were his Seymour Duncan Convertible Amps. He's got the gear bug as bad as any of us. Worse, probably. His dad owns a guitar shop in Upstate NY. He's got it in his blood. And believe it or not, he'll take a 'Burst or a Broadcaster or whatnot out on the road with him. Those are tools to him and he uses them to get his tone.

    He's a very accessible guy and he often has meet and greets at his shows. If you get the chance to meet him, I would recommend it. Like meeting Seymour for the first time, you'll be struck by how "normal" he is. Until he gets up on stage and plugs in.
    I really appreciate this Brother E. I saw this thread last week and started to respond almost identically and then got called away.

    Personally, I think Joe has great pitch and power as a blues/rock singer. I really dig his gutsy timbre and phrasing. I admire that he pursued and disciplined that voice instrument and can front his own gig so well. No small matter.
    His guitar playing is phenomenal in terms of execution. His Dobro/slide delivery is nothing short of excellent to me as a player. I am working on opening my own faucet and technique and he is an inspiration.

    Anybody with that level of personal commitment and discipline to his craft is a role model to me. He is one of those artists who represents what is possible with dedication and focus. His career is active. I wonder how many grok the depth of that as a blues rock 'genre' musician, contemporary or not? He is clearly mindful about his career and any leverage he holds, something which many artists before him wish they had been.

    Finally I appreciate Joe Bonamassa's as an artist because he shows that you can do it your own way on your own terms as a way of life. A reality many of us are striving for, whatever our passion is.

    Cheers, RG

  19. #99
    SDUGF Riffologist Supremö B2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,931

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    She's the best part of this thread, so far.
    I saw Garbage 2 years ago at the Palladium in Hollywood... awesome show.

  20. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    SEA.,WA.
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

    JUST GIVE THE SD 100watt Try.......hmmmmmmm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •