Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

I've never had the chance to try one of the Sovtek Migs. I always seem them on Ebay as fixer-uppers but can't take the plunge.

As for Joe I don't listen to his music but I'm not sure why he attracts so much mockery.

In a world of really horrific semi-sarcastic somethingcore guitarists who make a lot of money never really bothering to learn the instrument, it's a shame that guys who can actually play like Yngwie or Joe seem to receive the bulk of the criticism because, as "guitarist's guitarists" we hold them to (arbitrary) higher standards.

I haven't really dug into Joe's stuff; just cursory peeks now and then and he's good.

In regards to the kerfuffle here, here's what I have to say:

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion about this or that or whom; everyone.

The thing is, it's very difficult for said opinions to be taken seriously when the maker of said opinion has exhibited zero proof
    of their gear/experience (opinions on gear/tone) or guitar playing skill level (opinions on players).

(And sorry, high post counts are not substitutes for experience nor for skill level)

So in other words, if you can't play a blues lick to save your life, you can certainly have a negative opinion on Joe B... but no one's going to take it seriously.

If you're on a guitar forum and you've never posted a clip/vid of your playing, and you're bagging on some dude's playing... no one's going to take you seriously.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    As for Joe I don't listen to his music but I'm not sure why he attracts so much mockery.

In a world of really horrific semi-sarcastic somethingcore guitarists who make a lot of money never really bothering to learn the instrument, it's a shame that guys who can actually play like Yngwie or Joe seem to receive the bulk of the criticism because, as "guitarist's guitarists" we hold them to (arbitrary) higher standards.
    I get the Yngwie mockery. It's because he's a disrespectful, rude, wife-beating arse.

Joe... He just strikes me as somebody that had no friends when he was a kid so he became friends with a guitar. He's socially awkward but seems to be a nice guy and he's a hell of a player.

that seems pretty accurate. he grew up not far from where i live and have stories about a quiet fat kid. his dad owned a music store and joe started early and put lots of time in. ive met him a few times, first time he was a jerk but hes always been decent since then. i play and listen to blues, he has crazy good chops and i enjoy listening but only for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    that seems pretty accurate. he grew up not far from where i live and have stories about a quiet fat kid. his dad owned a music store and joe started early and put lots of time in. ive met him a few times, first time he was a jerk but hes always been decent since then. i play and listen to blues, he has crazy good chops and i enjoy listening but only for so long.
    Everybody has an off day.

A lot of people say that Rachel Ray is a real witch, but I know a guy who went to her office to fix her computer. He was sent there by the tech company she employs to maintain things for her office. She took him out to lunch and was excessively nice to him, considering all he did was fix her PC. LOL

i wish he would have broke it more

i dont know if it was an off day or he was more of a jerk back then. it was a long time ago as he was getting his first taste of national fame and he was in his 20's. i talked to his band and it seemed like he could be like that a fair amount. seems like hes more confident with everything and has lost at least much of the chip on his shoulder

+1 for Joe being a great guy. Joe Bonamassa and Warren Zevon are the two nicest famous people that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I met Joe in Colorado, and no one else knew who he was. I just talked to him about the weather, and didn't let on that I knew who he was. He was very down to Earth and friendly. He reminded me of Warren, because they both enjoyed talking to people as they drank a glass od Seven-Up. Michael Parks and Dan Fogelberg were equally nice people. In fact, every famous person that I've ever met were very pleasant, because I never fawned over them or asked them for their autograph. It was cool enough for me just to meet them. They can't help the fact that they're famous. They just worked very hard at their chosen field, and did their job very, very well. I don't understand the hate. Plus, Joe doesn't charge $60 for a tee shirt like every else is these days. Some people just hate because apparently it's fun to hate.

Unseen

The more insecure you are, the more the inner jerk has free reign.....
    Once you reach a certain age, or realise what it is you got...and what you do not have, the more down to earth people become!

Quote Originally Posted by ajay taylor View Post
    +1 for Joe being a great guy. Joe Bonamassa and Warren Zevon are the two nicest famous people that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I met Joe in Colorado, and no one else knew who he was. I just talked to him about the weather, and didn't let on that I knew who he was. He was very down to Earth and friendly. He reminded me of Warren, because they both enjoyed talking to people as they drank a glass od Seven-Up. Michael Parks and Dan Fogelberg were equally nice people. In fact, every famous person that I've ever met were very pleasant, because I never fawned over them or asked them for their autograph. It was cool enough for me just to meet them. They can't help the fact that they're famous. They just worked very hard at their chosen field, and did their job very, very well. I don't understand the hate. Plus, Joe doesn't charge $60 for a tee shirt like every else is these days. Some people just hate because apparently it's fun to hate.
    He is a talented guy I just dont like his music. Does that make me a hater? Do I have to like every guitarist in the world? I never slam anyone's playing but if I don't particularly like their music can't I voice an opinion? I don't like Black Metal does that mean I am hating on every Black Metal guitarist? Get off your high horse and realize some people just might not like your hero, it doesn't make us haters. We all just like different types and styles of music.

Go on YouTube, and Search "The Captain Meets.....Bernie Marsden". Bernie owns the famous '59 called "The Beast". You could freeze a frame and print out a beautiful Dirty Lemon. It is one of the most famous '59's.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flannel View Post
    His playing comes across as anemic, he is pretentious, and he's not nearly as great as every other emial I receive makes him out to be.

I'm sure that your account of him is accurate, but I just can't get behind his forced "rock god" status.
    I've been reading some of these accounts about Joe Bonamassa's lack of inventive skill or his ability to sing or how over rated he is as a guitarist. I've read nothing and seen nothing and heard nothing from all those who criticize what they themselves probably cannot/have not done. If you lack the seasoning to truly perform and earn a living from it, be wise enough and humble enough to concede Joe Bonamassa has done all of that and more. When Eric Clapton walked on stage at Albert Hall to play an impromptu set with Joe B. there was nothing short of pure artistry in the air. Bonamassa gave Clapton his undivided support and respect while the two men flowed together like they'd been playing together for a life time.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

He's a great player. But yeah, I much prefer the early small club show recordings to the big glitzy opera house one's he's been doing recently..that's where you really get to hear him jam & tear things up. The thing with the blues crowd is that the general feeling is the only way to 'keep it real' is by playing the same songs, licks & progressions everyone else has played since the 1920's over and over again ...& he does'nt do that. In fact, on the Bloodline CD that he did in the early 90's (in the credit's he was "Smokin' Joe Bonnamassa" and I'd never heard of him) his playing is absolutely NOTHING like it is now (very jazz-blues & unique..).
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    I had to laugh when I saw this.

Playing and tone-wise Clapton castrated himself 45 years ago
    Then where did Riding with the King, Unplugged and Journeyman come from?

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flannel View Post
    His playing comes across as anemic, he is pretentious, and he's not nearly as great as every other emial I receive makes him out to be.

I'm sure that your account of him is accurate, but I just can't get behind his forced "rock god" status.
    I heard him playing with Robert Cray it was like listening to Jimi Hendrix and Michael Nesmith.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leevc5 View Post
    I have to step up and defend Eric too. His playing and tone is better than ever IMO. Most guitarists his age no longer play much but at the last crossroads festival he smoked everybody there. It was like he was playing with the Dominoes in 71. His tone was excellent, although it looked like he was using a high gain Dumble for leads. Most singers his age can no longer hit the notes and ask their guitar players to tune down, but he still sings in the original keys, and sings well. Getting cleaned up really extended his career and he just keeps on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by leevc5 View Post
    I dont know. Where did they come from?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook