Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

Default Re: Joe Bonamassa’s 5 Most Underrated Amps

I might be younger, but I still wouldn't put Johnny in the same boat as Fake Wayne Sheppard.

if yall dont like Joes solo band or "black country communion" band, then what bands do you like in this genre? just curious cause I want to check em out. I have been digging all of Joes heavy blues stuff (not the slow ballads) and am looking for similar stuff to listen to.

It's one thing to say an artist isn't your cup of tea. However, there's a lot of hate here from all lot of guys who haven't left the basement jam area calling the guy out for being terrible in one way or another.

I'm in that same grouping. I've played a few gigs at small venues and didn't make a dime.

People like us don't have room to talk. Enough people like Bonamassa that he can make a living off it. If we're good enough to pass judgement we should be able to do the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GilmourD; 09-27-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    if yall dont like Joes solo band or "black country communion" band, then what bands do you like in this genre? just curious cause I want to check em out. I have been digging all of Joes heavy blues stuff (not the slow ballads) and am looking for similar stuff to listen to.
    I find Warren Hayes to be a hell of a player and inspiring. Can't go wrong with Robert Rudolph and the Family Band. Gary Clark Jr. is an artist that will make you take a step back and say wow.

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    It's one thing to say an artist isn't your cup of tea. However, there's a lot of hate here from all lot of guys who haven't left the basement jam area calling the guy out for being terrible in one way or another.

I'm in that same grouping. I've played a few gigs at small venues and didn't make a dime.

People like us don't have room to talk. Enough people like Bonamassa that he can make a living off it. If we're good enough to pass judgement we should be able to do the same.

Flawed logic. We should like JB because he can fill a room and cash a check? Using that premise we should all be Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga fans. No one is passing judgement, I think everyone has agreed he is talented, people just stating tastes. What is wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Flawed logic. We should like JB because he can fill a room and cash a check? Using that premise we should all be Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga fans. No one is passing judgement, I think everyone has agreed he is talented, people just stating tastes. What is wrong with that?
    That wasn't my point. My point was that it's fine to not enjoy his music, but to negatively criticize from a point of superiority isn't warranted or justified. A lot of the criticism here isn't constructive in any way and some of it is just down right mean, like "Fake Wayne Shepherd" above and other comments. Ya know?

However, touche on the Bieber point. LOL

As far as Gaga, I think she's a talented musician who's decided to sell weirdness and performance art over her musical talents. When she actually sits down at a piano any plays I think she has some nifty stuff going on there.

Nope...

Little Pigbacon

In this kind of value system, do we hold non-players to the same standard? And do we need to know how to bake cookies in order to determine whether we like the cookies we're eating? I don't have an opinion about Joe; I've barely heard him play. But I've seen this argument used a lot both here and… heh-heh… in YouTube comments. I've decided its merits are questionable at best. It's less a universal truth than it is a rhetorical strategy intended to shut people up.

Little Pigbacon

That wasn't my point. My point was that it's fine to not enjoy his music, but to negatively criticize from a point of superiority isn't warranted or justified. A lot of the criticism here isn't constructive in any way and some of it is just down right mean, like "Fake Wayne Shepherd" above and other comments. Ya know?
    Yep.

As far as Gaga, I think she's a talented musician who's decided to sell weirdness and performance art over her musical talents. When she actually sits down at a piano any plays I think she has some nifty stuff going on there.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    In this kind of value system, do we hold non-players to the same standard? And do we need to know how to bake cookies in order to determine whether we like the cookies we're eating? I don't have an opinion about Joe; I've barely heard him play. But I've seen this argument used a lot both here and… heh-heh… in YouTube comments. I've decided its merits are questionable at best. It's less a universal truth than it is a rhetorical strategy intended to shut people up.
    In my case, it wasn't so much a rhetorical to shut people up but rather to make people examine way they're being angry and mean about a guy the don't even know.

For instance, I simply don't get KISS. Just can wrap my head around them. But I'm not going to say anything about them being talentless hacks or undeserving of their gear or that they're pretentious about music or there gear.

I have other issues with them (like Simmons' comments on suicide) that Bonamassa hasn't publicly shot himself is the foot over. Bonamassa likes expensive gear and he's got opinions one that, just like all of our opinions.

It's not like he's the living embodiment of a bowl of dicks that Kanye West is, but that's a whole lot less about the music and more about him stopping a concert because the guy in and wheelchair didn't stand up and him saying that his job is more dangerous than that of a soldier in Afghanistan.

Nope...

Little Pigbacon

I think poor, misguided Kanye is a devoted conspiracy theorist.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

I find Joe's playing uninspiring. I don't see what's wrong with that observation. On the other hand, Guthrie Govan wows me with pretty much every lick, riff, or run he does.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    I find Joe's playing uninspiring. I don't see what's wrong with that observation. On the other hand, Guthrie Govan wows me with pretty much every lick, riff, or run he does.
    And, in my opinion, that's fine to feel that way and state it as such. You weren't being derogatory.

Nope...

the living embodiment of a bowl of dicks that Kanye West is
    I just got a mental image of Kim Kardashian eating breakfast and giggled a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    I just got a mental image of Kim Kardashian eating breakfast and giggled a bit.
    LOL

Nope...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Big Flannel's Avatar

And, in my opinion, that's fine to feel that way and state it as such. You weren't being derogatory.

If it is fine for people to feel that way, why would you rebuke us for voicing our opinions. I think everybody here has been pretty polite.
    Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Flannel View Post
    If it is fine for people to feel that way, why would you rebuke us for voicing our opinions. I think everybody here has been pretty polite.
    Well, I didn't say EVERYBODY was doing it. LOL Just that there were some that were unnecessarily mean and their criticism wasn't constructive.

Nope...

thatnks for the suggested other bands! I dig Joe B's stuff but have "over-listened" to it. so I am glad yall pointed out some great artists, cheers

p.s. I have to admit I am digging the Guthri Govvan suggestion a lot

Quote Originally Posted by everdrone View Post
    thatnks for the suggested other bands! I dig Joe B's stuff but have "over-listened" to it. so I am glad yall pointed out some great artists, cheers

p.s. I have to admit I am digging the Guthri Govvan suggestion a lot
    Honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest. I've fallen into a very deep hole of Van Halen and I don't know when I'm coming out. LOL

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar

If you like Guthrie, please for the love of music check out the Aristocrats. They're beyond incredible.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar

I don't give a **** about Joe Bonamassa and honestly, I'm sick of getting force fed that he's the shiny, new, sunglasses-in-the-house guitar god.

When I play, I play beat up guitars through an amp nobody remembers and no amount of GC/MF circulars or online interviews is going to get me to pay a billion dollars for a bunch of NEW crap I won't use. I can play garbage on my own stuff for free.