Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Active EQ System Bass Pickups APB-1

Default Active EQ System Bass Pickups APB-1

After a couple of evenings surfing the web to try & find a wiring diagram for pickups that came on my bass (The pot's are extremely corroded & the wiring a mess) I found a thread within this group of forum's. One of the posts even came with a scan of the original installation instructions. Unfortunately the images posted were of too low a resolution for me to blow up to read. Is someone on here able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy.

Funkfingers

Default Re: Active EQ System Bass Pickups APB-1

Welcome to the forum.

For a two pickup bass guitar, this schematic diagram will suffice. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...tive_jazz_bass A100k pots all around.

It does not matter whether you have JJ, PJ or PP pickups. The innards of the P and short J are identical, just in different housings.

About the only parts I can make out on the jpg images I found had 1 volume & 1 x tone pot at 10k & 250k respectively. Thanks for the welcome.

P.s. It is only a P bass.

Funkfingers

The only SD active electronics on which you would find 10k and 250k pots are the STC-2P and -3P active EQ for instruments with passive pickups.

Typical pot resistance values for SD/Basslines active pickups are 25k or 100k. Any higher messes up performance.

Schematic for active P. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...c=active_pbass

EDIT - If you choose to add fancy onboard EQ, integrate the relevant parts of the two wiring diagrams. The usual sequence is pickup > vol > EQ > output jack. There is an argument for running pickup > EQ > vol > output jack in an attempt to reduce pre-amp noise.

My experience has been that combining the "switch" pickups and multi-band active EQ is not such a clever idea. The various cut/boost/shift functions often work against each other.
    Last edited by Funkfingers; 03-04-2015 at 02:18 AM.

Name:  SeymourDuncanActiveEQ01.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  45.5 KBName:  SeymourDuncanActiveEQ02.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  31.2 KB

These are the images I was referring to. Like I said it seem's to say 10 & 250k pots. These also describe the action of the switches. I would really appreciate it if someone could link me to a readable copy. Does Seymour Duncan themselves keep copies of these older instructions?

Funkfingers

I own the actual piece of yellow paper scanned in the images above. Punched along one side, cut along the other, hand annotated next to the legend AJB-1 Active E.Q. Jazz bridge. NOTE: SD address - Chapala Street, CA 93101

I also have another version of the yellow wiring instructions leaflet (P/N 390008-618), SD address - 601, Pine Avenue CA 93117.

Comparing these two leaflets, the graphic representations of the function of the three mode switches differ as do the pot values in the wiring schematic diagrams.

Further, I have the equivalent yellow leaflet for Pro-Active and Lightnin' Rods pickups, (P/N 93111-2345), SD address - 5247, Hollister Avenue.

You are correct. The leaflet in the scans illustrates 10k volume pots (PT-020) and 250k tone pots (PT-030). The second and third leaflets illustrate 100k pots throughout.

The question you have to ask yourself is this. Did SD change the specifications somewhere along the way or is one of the diagrams inaccurate? Considering that, of necessity, the number of switches had to be reduced from three to two, it is equally possible that the action of the switches changed from one generation to another.

It is also true that the appearance of the pickup tops changed from raised plastic embossed logo on a textured surface to printed white on smooth.

This invites the question, did the functions of the switches change at the same time as the logo?

My pickup's have a slightly textured surface and the logo is not in white. They also have the three switches. I ordered the pot's based on what I could read from the pages I posted and are going to take another 2 - 3 weeks to arrive here in New Zealand (I ordered them over a week ago). I had to get them from the States as 10k Pot's are a bit harder to source. I knew they were going to take a while to get here so I figured the earlier I order them the better.
    Is there any chance that you could scan & email me the pages you have? I will order some more pot's (100k) & try a few configurations.

Funkfingers

Okay, when I get off-site, I shall scan a few things.

That would be awesome. Thanks for your help.

As usual, I am late to the party, but my active eq's were installed with provided 10K's. Mine are the three switch variety and 10K's were what came in the box.
    I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

Is that just for the volume with a 250k pot for the tone?

Funkfingers

As mentioned in post #7, this detail appears to have changed over time.

Here is the standard SD/Basslines schematic diagram for Active P Bass. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...c=active_pbass Feel free to adapt it with the tone control pot and capacitor values of your choice.

Funkfingers

Okay. I give in. Here is the SD diagram (early version).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you all very much. I really appreciate your help.

I managed to sand back all the rust in my old corroded out pots that came with my bass and the were both 10K. I fitted the 10k volume and 250k tone pots that arrived. My bass is now working and I have volume & tone control. I am going to order another 10k pot and try it out for tone adjustment. Otherwise I am wrapped. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by JeremyC; 03-20-2015 at 03:08 AM.