Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peavey Predator Project

Default Peavey Predator Project

Hey guys,

A while ago, I started restoring an old USA Peavey Predator (1991 script logo model) which I got in a trade for free.
    Now, it is fully restored, so I wanted to share the result here on the forum.

First of all, this was the shape of the guitar when I just acquired it. As you can see, it was pretty beat up ("relic'ed" according to the previous owner)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141206_133547.jpg 
Views:	3055 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	63617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141206_133655.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	63618

So what I did next, was disassembling the whole guitar and see what needed to be done. Turns out there was quite a bit of work to it.
    When I took off the pickguard, I was quite shocked to see that some idiot had been drilling the neck pickup cavity to **** (probably wanted to make a humbucker route)
    Then I looked at the pickguard, which wasn't any better, the wiring was rubbish and the pickguard itself was incredibly cheap/flimsy, so that needed to be redone/replaced as well.
    Here are the pics of the neck pickup cavity and pickguard.

Name:	20150202_184418.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	63619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150202_184357.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	63620

I then further inspected the body, well, what can I say? It definitely needed the neck pickup cavity repaired, a refinish and a new tremolo bridge. (the stock bridge wasn't great at all)
    And thus, I started to prepare the body for its new paintjob. After I was done sanding the whole body down to 600 grit, filling up the neck pickup cavity, and a few dents and scratches, the body was ready to be painted.
    I took it to a professional painter and I decided that I wanted a deep blue sparkle finish, so he painted the guitar exactly as I wanted it to be, it came out really nice!
    In the meantime, while the body was at the painter, I ordered some nice new parts, I ordered a Wilkinson WV6SB Gold tremolo bridge, some nice Grover tuners, which I got incredibly cheap, and a new pickguard and tremolo cover.
    It was also pretty cool to see how much difference there was between both bridges in terms of tremolo block mass.
    After I received the finished guitar body, I made a mock-up of the parts, to see how it would look. (As you can see in the mock-up pic, the pickguard wasn't wired at all, but I got it wired later on ofcourse.)
    Again some pics attached:

Name:	20150222_194100.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	63621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150331_141133.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	63622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150213_113455.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	63623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150220_165615.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	63624

At this point, most of the bodywork had been done, except for one thing, which was my own mistake; I forgot to tell the painter to NOT spray the neck cavity.
    So, I had to scrape out and sand off excess paint, which was a pain in the ass to do, since it needed to be done gently and with precision. But, I finally managed to get the job done.
    After that, I testfitted the neck, and it fitted nice and snug, but not too snug!
    I also removed the micro-tilt system, since I much prefer wooden shims for slight neck corrections. (micro-tilt still visible here)

Name:	20150408_151214.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	63625Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150408_154203.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	63626

Moving on to the neck, which yet again, was relic'ed just like the body. I decided not to repair any lacquer damage, since it's too complicated for me to fix, and too expensive to let it be fixed.
    I just cleaned it up the best I could and replaced the old tuners for the Grover ones. Not much to be mentioned here.

After that it was simply assembling the guitar, putting on new strings, adjust the trussrod/action, and intonate it properly. (Action and intonation done by a local guitar tech/friend of mine)
    All I can say is, that it was a pretty fun and sometimes challenging project, and that I've definitely learned a lot from it. I highly encourage others to fix up a nice cheap guitar!

Hope you enjoyed reading this!

NOTE: Pics of the finished guitar are in the post below! Since the forum allows only up to 10 images per post to be attached.
    My Guitars:

Mayones Setius GTM6 /w JB 8 mod
    ESP LTD Viper 500s
    '91 Peavey Predator (modified)
    Ibanez SR1205 (1995 model)

Default Re: Peavey Predator Project

That must've been reliced by a 10 year old. lol I like relic jobs that are well done, that looks like a clown found a belt sander

Here's the finished guitar! The finish itself was quite hard to capture though!

Name:	20150501_141457.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	63627Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150516_183314.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	63628Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150516_183320.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	63629
    Furthermore, the guitar already came with quite nice pickups, a Fender CS Fat 50's in the neck, a stock Peavey pickup in the middle (actually pretty nice sounding pup), and a DiMarzio MegaDrive bridge.
    However I don't really like the MegaDrive, so if someone could make a nice suggestion of what to put in the bridge position of this thing, that would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by RockWithMark; 05-19-2015 at 02:26 PM.
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Quote Originally Posted by treyhaislip View Post
    That must've been reliced by a 10 year old. lol I like relic jobs that are well done, that looks like a clown found a belt sander
    My thoughts exactly! It was horrendous!
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone

looks great.

Can i have the old bridge? hehe

Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone

I like my dimarzio megadrive. Its a bit awesome. A paf or a fred would work.

Surly the megadrive would be way louder than the Fat 50's?

A job well done there! I'm guessing the wood is Poplar, which has been called a "poor man's alder." If you want another Humbucker I would suggest a JB (love the JB with Alder+Maple Neck) but it may be too bright. I love the Screamin Demon BUT have never used it in Poplar nor with an all Maple Neck/Board.

Quote Originally Posted by kramersteen View Post
    looks great.

Can i have the old bridge? hehe
    Haha, yeah I can send you the bridge for free, if you pay for shipment!
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Quote Originally Posted by kramersteen View Post
    I like my dimarzio megadrive. Its a bit awesome. A paf or a fred would work.

Surly the megadrive would be way louder than the Fat 50's?
    Well I do think the MegaDrive is a great and underrated pup, I'm just not sure if this is the pup for this particular guitar. There is some volume drop between the Fat 50 and MegaDrive, but not all that significant! I also wired the the Fat 50 to a 500K pot, since I didn't really like it with a 250K pot. I like my single coils bright/brighter.
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

A job well done there! I'm guessing the wood is Poplar, which has been called a "poor man's alder." If you want another Humbucker I would suggest a JB (love the JB with Alder+Maple Neck) but it may be too bright. I love the Screamin Demon BUT have never used it in Poplar nor with an all Maple Neck/Board.
    Hey, thank you very much, I appreciate that! And you are correct, the body wood is Poplar, with a thin Alder cap/veneer, the neck is all Maple. I'll have to do some further research on a new pup before dropping some cash on it. I am familiar with the JB, but that one is in my Mahogany bodied Mayones. Not sure how it would work in Poplar :P Thanks again!
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Quote Originally Posted by RockWithMark View Post
    Hey, thank you very much, I appreciate that! And you are correct, the body wood is Poplar, with a thin Alder cap/veneer, the neck is all Maple. I'll have to do some further research on a new pup before dropping some cash on it. I am familiar with the JB, but that one is in my Mahogany bodied Mayones. Not sure how it would work in Poplar :P Thanks again!
    Most welcome! I had a Fender MIM Poplar guitar that sounded incredible with an upgraded Alnico V strat set. I have a love/hate relationship with all Maple necks and thus have the least experience with them. I did have an Alder+All Maple neck with a JB and 2 HotRails that was killer...very aggressive rock tones. Perhaps you may want to try something like an EVH bridge pickup?

Most welcome! I had a Fender MIM Poplar guitar that sounded incredible with an upgraded Alnico V strat set. I have a love/hate relationship with all Maple necks and thus have the least experience with them. I did have an Alder+All Maple neck with a JB and 2 HotRails that was killer...very aggressive rock tones. Perhaps you may want to try something like an EVH bridge pickup?
    The JB is definitely on my list, the EVH pups are a bit too expensive for me. If it's of any help, this guitar is tuned to Eb/Drop C#, so I need a medium to high output pup that can handle drop tunings well in terms of clarity/note definition and power, with a nice growl and bite to it. It should also have a nice singing and expressive clean tone to it. Maybe I'm asking a lot of a single pickup, but I'm sure there is a pup that can come close to that. I play all kinds of styles, from Rock to Black Metal, though I won't be playing Black Metal on this particular guitar. I'll mostly stick to something between Rock and Post-Hardcore. Melodic and dynamic stuff for sure!
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Screamin' Demon?
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Sweet job. I love Predators, (the Peavey's, I mean), and love the blue. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Sweet job. I love Predators, (the Peavey's, I mean), and love the blue. Nice.
    Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it! They're very underrated guitars in my opinion, always nice to see other people liking the old Peavey stuff!
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Peavey was funny. They put the name "Predator" on several different guitars. I have four MIA Predators. None of them look like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Peavey was funny. They put the name "Predator" on several different guitars. I have four MIA Predators. None of them look like yours.
    Wow that is cool and funny at the same time! When I just got this, I sent Peavey an e-mail, if they knew more about this guitar. This is what I got from them:

Hello Mark,

Yes, this " PREDATOR " BLACK shipped from the factory in Meridian MS USA on 03/27/1991

SATIN NATURAL NECK PAINT
    POPLAR BODY
    HARD MAPLE NECK
    MAPLE FINGERBOARD

Thanks,

Aubrey

Peavey Customer Service

EDIT: Could you show me your Predators? I'm very curious to see what's so different :P
    Last edited by RockWithMark; 05-20-2015 at 04:48 AM.
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

Quote Originally Posted by RockWithMark View Post
    The JB is definitely on my list, the EVH pups are a bit too expensive for me. If it's of any help, this guitar is tuned to Eb/Drop C#, so I need a medium to high output pup that can handle drop tunings well in terms of clarity/note definition and power, with a nice growl and bite to it. It should also have a nice singing and expressive clean tone to it. Maybe I'm asking a lot of a single pickup, but I'm sure there is a pup that can come close to that. I play all kinds of styles, from Rock to Black Metal, though I won't be playing Black Metal on this particular guitar. I'll mostly stick to something between Rock and Post-Hardcore. Melodic and dynamic stuff for sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Screamin' Demon?
    I think the JB would sound brillant although I think they would be some volume issues with the Fender Fat 50 (love those pickups!) and the Peavey single coil. I think the Screamin Demon would be awesome, Alnico V which should pair very well with the Fat 50.

I just noticed you are in the Netherlands, I was about to say I've found some EVH pickups reasonably priced around the Craigslists here but you are definitely dealing with a different market than I am.

I think the JB would sound brillant although I think they would be some volume issues with the Fender Fat 50 (love those pickups!) and the Peavey single coil. I think the Screamin Demon would be awesome, Alnico V which should pair very well with the Fat 50.

I just noticed you are in the Netherlands, I was about to say I've found some EVH pickups reasonably priced around the Craigslists here but you are definitely dealing with a different market than I am.
    I think I would prefer the JB over the Screamin' Demon since I have had much more hands on experience with the JB, I also see it recommended over a Demon a lot as well. (Though tone is always a subjective thing) I keep reading that the Demon lacks gain for those really high gain tones.

Then again, you are right about the volume issues between the Fat 50 and a JB. To me, the stock JB also sounds a bit mushy/flabby with lower tunings. So I'm not sure if that is the pickup as well for this guitar, eventhough I love JB's!
    Choosing new pickups is always difficult, since you never exactly know what tone you're going to get!

Yeah we are definitely dealing with a different market, which sucks! :P Oh well, The search continues I guess.
    My Guitars:

ESP LTD Viper 500s

The fender pickups are south start while the .sd pickups are north start
    If you use the alternate south start wiring on the .sd pickup you will be ok

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)