Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey Windsor

Default Peavey Windsor

I must start from this - people dismissing the Peavey Windsor are useful idiots. I bought one yesterday for 200 Canadian!!! When I bought it I had a chance to compare it to the JCM 2000 DSL 100W head. Two things surprised me - how close the DSL sounded to my 15W DSL head and that the DSL sucked compared to the Windsor. I heard the Windsor described as "lifeless" and "sterile"... What can I say - you got to love them the useful idiots.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Default Re: Peavey Windsor

I had one up until about two months ago when I sold it because it wasn't getting used.

I'm saddened by it, but hopefully someone else is appreciating it and enjoying the great sounds it made. I loved that thing but it was time to part.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Agree and I understand you. The guy who sold me the amp bought a JVM head right then and there. He wanted *more* gain.

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    Agree and I understand you. The guy who sold me the amp bought a JVM head right then and there. He wanted *more* gain.
    That thing has plenty of gain. Maybe it could use a tighter sound, but there's plenty of ass it can haul. My problem was that it's just not practical for me. I was looking at a new Bugera, but I'm okay for now.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Was it too loud/big?

Was it too loud/big?
    Way too big and loud for me. I lived in a dorm freshman year of college and now I live in an apartment. Either way having a 100 watt into a 4x12 would make me the most popular neighbor ever.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

:-)

And here is the Windsor cranked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uZjvGwpA0 Unbelievable! No pedals.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

That's pretty funny... calling everyone who doesn't use that amp an idiot. What a great way to make friends.

Enjoy your amp.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    That's pretty funny... calling everyone who doesn't use that amp an idiot. What a great way to make friends.

Enjoy your amp.
    His quote was "people dismissing the Peavey Windsor."
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

And here is the Windsor cranked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uZjvGwpA0 Unbelievable! No pedals.
    The tone in that vid is god awful bad. I get it that its on a cell phone, its still really bad.

Its a decent amp for hard rock/early metal. Not enough gain and not nearly tight enough for modern metal. Nothing to cream your jeans about but hey if it blows your skirt up have at it.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    The tone in that vid is god awful bad. I get it that its on a cell phone, its still really bad.

Its a decent amp for hard rock/early metal. Not enough gain and not nearly tight enough for modern metal. Nothing to cream your jeans about but hey if it blows your skirt up have at it.
    I can't even hear it well enough to say whether it's good or not.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    I can't even hear it well enough to say whether it's good or not.
    You're not pickin up what im putting down scoobs, Its a cellphone vid with terrible sound quality but the other guy says the tone is "unbelievable"

Im not telling you to listen through the crappy sound im telling you the sound you hear is crappy cause its a cell phone vid and is hardly "unbelievable"
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

You're not pickin up what im putting down scoobs, Its a cellphone vid with terrible sound quality but the other guy says the tone is "unbelievable"

Im not telling you to listen through the crappy sound im telling you the sound you hear is crappy cause its a cell phone vid and is hardly "unbelievable"
    It's early. I understand now.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

It's early. I understand now.
    No worries i probably didnt say it so clearly either

No worries i probably didnt say it so clearly either
    All good.

Yeah, the Windsor wasn't the greatest amp I've ever played, nor was it the worst thing I've ever played. But the price was factored into my love of the amp and it was a good enough amp for my purposes.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Cool find! I heard that it sounds somewhat like a JCM 800, but I've never actually heard it in person. Will there be clips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

All good.

Yeah, the Windsor wasn't the greatest amp I've ever played, nor was it the worst thing I've ever played. But the price was factored into my love of the amp and it was a good enough amp for my purposes.
    Yeah for the price point it was a killer amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
    Cool find! I heard that it sounds somewhat like a JCM 800, but I've never actually heard it in person. Will there be clips.
    Ive AB'd one against my JMP (didnt use my 800s as they are modded and its unfair) it sounds a lot like it. But at the same time different. Compared to my jmp it was warmer but fuzzier and had less definition particularly when pushed hard. In a band mix the JMP cut way better and didnt get lost and indistinct.

Ive AB'd one against my JMP (didnt use my 800s as they are modded and its unfair) it sounds a lot like it. But at the same time different. Compared to my jmp it was warmer but fuzzier and had less definition particularly when pushed hard. In a band mix the JMP cut way better and didnt get lost and indistinct.
    I always found that it was better when pushed by some kind of overdrive or a box. It definitely had plenty of gain, but could have focused it a bit more.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

Tone is subjective. I tend to judge amps the way I judge a woman's looks: nothing sucks, nobody is ugly, they're either my type or not my type. I'm not going to call anyone a useful idiot (and yes, I DO know what that means) just because they don't like the amp. Having said that, I own one, and I love it for one or two types of sounds like an early AC/DC type of crunch. It doesn't switch channels, imo it has to be LOUD to sound really good, and a decent EQ pedal in the loop can help it greatly. I've never been able to get the "modded" JCM 800 sound out of it that others claim it sounds like, and I definitely know that sound. Mine sounds more like a 60s Marshall that can be boosted with a pedal to get a metal tone if needed. It is a fun amp to own and play with, but with the vast choices and quality of amps out there now, it is a niche type of amp. For anyone playing out, it is an amp I wouldn't recommend if using it by itself with no pedals or modeler unless you're only going to use that one sound. BUT...if you don't want to spend over a grand or more for a vintage Marshall, and want to get into that area, not a bad amp to play around with for generally three bills American for one in great shape with a footswitch. BTW, the footswitch isn't to switch channels, but to engage the boost.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.