Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Peavey Windsor

Default Re: Peavey Windsor

And as I said previously, most classic sounds came from modded JCM 800s. Some of popular modds were adding additional gain stage (hot rodded JCM800) and converting an LTP PI to cathodyne PI. Both modds were done to get more gain.
    Last edited by vivanchenko; 06-18-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member Wormhelmet's Avatar

In the comparison video i posted on page 3, the peavey sales man is training other sales men by doing a blind side by side test with Windsor and marshall and states that the marshall is on the high input jack and windsor on the low input jack to get them to match up in sound. blind test was 50/50 on who guessed it.

GilmourD helped me fix my links. apparently youtube html tag isn't good with shortened URL, but video tags with full URL worked.

video previously only ok for iDevices in playback but now works for all.
    Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
    Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
    Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    And as I said previously, most classic sounds came from modded JCM 800s. Some of popular modds were adding additional gain stage (hot rodded JCM800) and converting an LTP PI to cathodyne PI. Both modds were done to get more gain.
    Sorry but adding a concertina PI was and is not a popular JCM800 modification. If you are just after more clipping there are much easier ways to add it. One of the biggest issues is the way it clips is different from like a cascaded 12ax7 stage. Without making other changes beyond the PI it will be harsh and wont handle heavy usage as well. (adding tons of extra current isnt something you can do for free) There are issues with impedance, really the power section needs to be designed around it.

The ever popular Jose mod using the zener diodes works better with less work if you are doing a modification and would have largely the same effect of helping get clipping at lower volumes.

Before the internet every guy did their own thing. What lee jackson did was very different from Jose arrendo whose mods was very different from Mike Soldano.

Though i will disagree that most classic sounds came from modded amps... Amps pushed with pedals were far more common in studios than modded amps. Some of the greatest had no mods at all (ie VH I tone)
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Sorry but adding a concertina PI was and is not a popular JCM800 modification. If you are just after more clipping there are much easier ways to add it. One of the biggest issues is the way it clips is different from like a cascaded 12ax7 stage. Without making other changes beyond the PI it will be harsh and wont handle heavy usage as well. (adding tons of extra current isnt something you can do for free) There are issues with impedance, really the power section needs to be designed around it.

The ever popular Jose mod using the zener diodes works better with less work if you are doing a modification and would have largely the same effect of helping get clipping at lower volumes.

Before the internet every guy did their own thing. What lee jackson did was very different from Jose arrendo whose mods was very different from Mike Soldano.

Though i will disagree that most classic sounds came from modded amps... Amps pushed with pedals were far more common in studios than modded amps. Some of the greatest had no mods at all (ie VH I tone)
    Well, VH was a '68 12xxx series 1959, but I see your point. The mods actually came after VHI, but that was really limited to the output transformer being changed out by VHT at one point and later on by others (Friedman, Soldano, Bogner, etc.). It's currently back in stock condition with an original transformer in it again.

Kerry King and Zakk Wylde used stock 2203s. Tom Morello uses a stock 2205.
    Nope...

Yes, OK. Convinced

I read somewhere that someone modded PI. Don't remember where exactly. But, yes, calling that mod "popular" is I bit of an overstretch, to say the least :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Kerry King and Zakk Wylde used stock 2203s.
    Their amps had 6550's in them also... instead of the more revered EL34's

I think if you really dug into it most guys were doing their own thing and there was no real consensus.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

I read somewhere that someone modded PI. Don't remember where exactly. But, yes, calling that mod "popular" is I bit of an overstretch, to say the least :-)
    Oh people have definitely done it, it just wasnt one of the popular ones in the 80's that most people think of.

Its more popular with like princeton and deluxe size amps as it works better with EL84's or 6V6's

Their amps had 6550's in them also... instead of the more revered EL34's

I think if you really dug into it most guys were doing their own thing and there was no real consensus.
    Well, that was when Unicord replaced the EL34s in all the US market amps with 6550s due to durability issues, so that was really a factory/distributor thing, not an end-user modification. UK Marshalls still had EL34s back then.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E9...page&q&f=false
    Nope...

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Edgecrusher - sounds like a good name for a transformer :-)
    Edgecrusher sounds like a kickass thrash album title.

Mind if I borrow it?

I'll name all my albums after members of the forum. "Jolly" will just have a picture of a sad clown.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar

He crushes straightedge kids

Quote Originally Posted by King IzzO))) View Post
    I'm gonna get crushed?

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Well, that was when Unicord replaced the EL34s in all the US market amps with 6550s due to durability issues, so that was really a factory/distributor thing, not an end-user modification. UK Marshalls still had EL34s back then.

https://books.google.com/books?id=E9...page&q&f=false
    Yeah sorry wasnt meaning they were a mod... was trying to highlight that there is no single JCM800 tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    Edgecrusher sounds like a kickass thrash album title.

Mind if I borrow it?

I'll name all my albums after members of the forum. "Jolly" will just have a picture of a sad clown.
    I dont mind... I have this habit of any time i join a forum I steal my screen name from the song i'm listening too at that moment. Fear factories "Edgecrusher" just happened to be playing when I signed up here...

Not a very deep or involved thought process.... I know

Quote Originally Posted by King IzzO))) View Post

I'm gonna get crushed?
    Some day... probably not on this forum... I will tell you guys about playing in punk bands in SE Idaho and northern Utah. Many describe that area as a bit... backwards and outdated... It makes for an odd punk scene... what there was of it anyways.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

I dont mind... I have this habit of any time i join a forum I steal my screen name from the song i'm listening too at that moment. Fear factories "Edgecrusher" just happened to be playing when I signed up here...

Not a very deep or involved thought process.... I know
    Well, I'm not a huge Fear Factory fan, so maybe not then.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

They're nice amps, sound like a generic Marshall crossed with a generic Vox to me. Which is pretty much what Peavey advertised them as, "Generic British Amp".

I don't know anything about electronics engineering or if that's what the schematic looks like but that's what it sounds like. Could easily sell for much more with some other brand on them.

I think those who are critical of them are the ones who believed it's an exact clone of a JCM800 or some modern hi-gain hot rod version or something. Definitely neither of those stock but some of the modded ones can be made to sound just like a hot rodded JCM.
    Last edited by Sleepy; 06-18-2015 at 11:12 PM.