Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey Windsor

Default Re: Peavey Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    I always found that it was better when pushed by some kind of overdrive or a box. It definitely had plenty of gain, but could have focused it a bit more.
    Yeah you are probably right. I just did shake down runs straight into the amp but I can see how with a TS up front to tighten it and give it some edge would be good.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Yeah you are probably right. I just did shake down runs straight into the amp but I can see how with a TS up front to tighten it and give it some edge would be good.
    I got a used TS9 to boost it with and couldn't stand it, lol. It seemed to actually thin out the sound. Even the EQ pedal couldn't help get the fatness back without adding a lot of noise and changing the sound. First screamer I ever owned too, so maybe I'm just not used to the sound.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 75lespaul View Post
    I got a used TS9 to boost it with and couldn't stand it, lol. It seemed to actually thin out the sound. Even the EQ pedal couldn't help get the fatness back without adding a lot of noise and changing the sound. First screamer I ever owned too, so maybe I'm just not used to the sound.
    That's probably true. I only used an overdrive a few times. I prefer dirt boxes.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

I love ODs and distortions. My DOD 250 in front of my Plexi clone just makes me smile. My RAT in front of it is tighter than when it's in front of some other amps, too. Ironically, my Pinnacle is in a love-hate relationship with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Amira-Maker

I tried one and was left somewhat disappointed. I would definitely mod it though to get it where I like.

It actually sounds pretty good here though. Possibly because the player is awesome.

I love od's into dirt boxes. Coupled with a clean boost and compressor. Name:  100_4882.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  136.0 KB

I tried one and was left somewhat disappointed. I would definitely mod it though to get it where I like.

It actually sounds pretty good here though. Possibly because the player is awesome.

I was actually about to post this same video. One of the few times I don't think Glenn Fricker is being a complete d-bag.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

I was actually about to post this same video. One of the few times I don't think Glenn Fricker is being a complete d-bag.
    I'm in the "I think this man is an *******, but he's right and the music industry needs more guys like him" camp.
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Ultimate Tone Member HALENisking's Avatar

I

I bought one because I was impressed from videos like the above. In person, I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, hated it. Weird how that stuff works. Maybe there was something wrong with mine.
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

My guitars + better pics

Quote Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
    I'm in the "I think this man is an *******, but he's right and the music industry needs more guys like him" camp.
    He's got an opinion that he thinks is the only right one. He did a video on new vs old bass strings complaining about how players don't change them often enough. While the bright attack is good for metal, it just doesn't fit the bill for other styles.

But other times, yeah he's pretty spot on.
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

He's got an opinion that he thinks is the only right one. He did a video on new vs old bass strings complaining about how players don't change them often enough. While the bright attack is good for metal, it just doesn't fit the bill for other styles.

But other times, yeah he's pretty spot on.
    His "The Fans Deserve Better" video is my favorite.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

I had a windsor for awhile.. I also will say it was a killer amp for the price. And even beyond the price.. Not the be all end all, but solid.. If I played more punk or straight up AC\DC type stuff, it was the cats meow.. I wish to heck they had come out when I was a young player and I coulda scored a tube amp back then.. Now Im older, I was looking for more, but again.. Id def take another one!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I have the combo version. The High Gain input is crap, so instead I crank the Low Gain and always have the boost engaged.

How many of these videos/clips that sound good are using Windsors that don't have garbage tubes in them? Load one up with a set of JJs or even some run-of-the-mill Sovteks and I bet they'd sound pretty good. For some reason, the tubes that Peavey's been shipping in amps for a good while seem to be the bottom-of-the-barrel Chinese tubes, and I say that thinking the Chinese factories are quite capable of making good tubes these days.
    Nope...

Cranked Windsor no pedals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uZjvGwpA0

Some more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aW_22MsTmY
    Very few pedals used in that video. There is nothing wrong with the amp. It can sound just as good as JCM 800. The problem is that some people just don't know how to use it.

Ultimate Tone Member Wormhelmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    Some more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aW_22MsTmY
    Very few pedals used in that video. There is nothing wrong with the amp. It can sound just as good as JCM 800. The problem is that some people just don't know how to use it.
    Whoaa! That was an insane recreation of EVH's sound and playing. Amazing! Didn't realize the Windsor was such a beast amp.
    Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
    Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
    Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

And certainly the Windsor is not a clone of stock JCM800. I would say it is a clone of some modded JCM 800s. Most of classic JCM 800 sounds come from modded amps and it is funny how people are obsessed with "original" stuff today.
    Last edited by vivanchenko; 06-16-2015 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    And certainly the Windsor is not a clone of stock JCM800. I would say it is a clone of some modded JCM 800s. Most classic JCM 800 sounds come from modded amps and it is funny how people are obsessed with "original" stuff today.
    Except in the case of Kerry King, where supposedly his 800 from the 80's was like the perfect head, meaning all the components that have to be within such a percentage in order to be used were actually all dead on (for instance if a resistor had to be 125k, it was 125k not 10% on either side).
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

Yes, agree. And I have nothing against Marshals. They set the standard and I love them to death, but I believe that they are overpriced because of the hype. My point is that there is other stuff that is at least just as good and it comes at a fraction of the price. I disagree that the Windsor is "good for the money" which would have made it a POS. My take on it is that it is just as good as Marshalls.

What I am seeing is that POS solid state amps are being sold for $200, 300 and more.. And here we are talking of an excellent take on JCM 800 with four EL34 for $200? And some people are still not happy?
    Last edited by vivanchenko; 06-16-2015 at 03:28 AM.