Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Peavey Windsor

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Default Re: Peavey Windsor

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    Yes, agree. And I have nothing against Marshals. They set the standard and I love them to death, but I believe that they are overpriced because of the hype. My point is that there is other stuff that is at least just as good and it comes at a fraction of the price. I disagree that the Windsor is "good for the money" which would have made it a POS. My take on it is that it is just as good as Marshalls.

What I am seeing is that POS solid state amps are being sold for $200, 300 and more.. And here we are talking of an excellent take on JCM 800 with four EL34 for $200? And some people are still not happy?
    I'd take 2 EL34s, plase. Cheaper to replace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

No problemo, use just two in the middle of the four. True for the JCM 800 and the Windsor.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivanchenko View Post
    Yes, agree. And I have nothing against Marshals. They set the standard and I love them to death, but I believe that they are overpriced because of the hype. My point is that there is other stuff that is at least just as good and it comes at a fraction of the price. I disagree that the Windsor is "good for the money" which would have made it a POS. My take on it is that it is just as good as Marshalls.

What I am seeing is that POS solid state amps are being sold for $200, 300 and more.. And here we are talking of an excellent take on JCM 800 with four EL34 for $200? And some people are still not happy?
    For the money the Peavey is an excellent buy and sounds great for hard rock/ classic metal (even thrash and metalcore).
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Disagree. Money is relative, just like fools, are.

The Windsor is very much a "good for the money amp" If you compare side by side the transformers out of a windsor to those in a jcm800 you can easily feel they weight about half as much and for good reason. The way the pots mount to the board and the thin flimsiness of the board will make servicing in the future a problem. Its likely due to the cheapness of just the board if once or twice you have a power tube fail and take out the screen resistors (which is not uncommon) it will damage the traces on the board and you WILL have to replace it. Will it be a problem this year or next? Probably not but JCM800's are going on 30 years most still with their original iron and boards you wont see this from the peavey's

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there is a big reason why the windsor hits the price point it does. There is no way around that it is built to an overall lower build quality. It might get into the same neighborhood tonally but it definitely inst there in quality. What peavey was banking on was that most players would run them at low volumes and at mild gigs at the local vfw and never really put them through the paces on the road. JCM800's have proven their road worthyness how many people have chosen to tour with Windsors?

But go ahead and keep calling everyone else fools.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Hey, guys. We're talking about amps here. Don't start talking about each other.
    Nope...

Ultimate Tone Member Wormhelmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    The Windsor is very much a "good for the money amp" If you compare side by side the transformers out of a windsor to those in a jcm800 you can easily feel they weight about half as much and for good reason. The way the pots mount to the board and the thin flimsiness of the board will make servicing in the future a problem. Its likely due to the cheapness of just the board if once or twice you have a power tube fail and take out the screen resistors (which is not uncommon) it will damage the traces on the board and you WILL have to replace it. Will it be a problem this year or next? Probably not but JCM800's are going on 30 years most still with their original iron and boards you wont see this from the peavey's

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there is a big reason why the windsor hits the price point it does. There is no way around that it is built to an overall lower build quality. It might get into the same neighborhood tonally but it definitely inst there in quality. What peavey was banking on was that most players would run them at low volumes and at mild gigs at the local vfw and never really put them through the paces on the road. JCM800's have proven their road worthyness how many people have chosen to tour with Windsors?

But go ahead and keep calling everyone else fools.
    That seems rather contradictory considering you have to turn them up a great deal to get that tone. I would take a guess that Peavey knows this about their own amps too. How is it you know what Peavey was banking on with the Windsor? Do you have insider info? I'm just taking guesses about them as I'm only a member of their forums, but no contacts at the company and hadn't read any releases about marketing for low volume gigs and use. I find that info interesting considering the contradiction in use.

Jackson Soloist/EMG 81,85
    Ibanez Artist/GL Screamin Demon BR, Ibanez N
    Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul/EMG 81,85

Mostly Metal, Mostly Heavy, 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wormhelmet View Post
    That seems rather contradictory considering you have to turn them up a great deal to get that tone. I would take a guess that Peavey knows this about their own amps too. How is it you know what Peavey was banking on with the Windsor? Do you have insider info? I'm just taking guesses about them as I'm only a member of their forums, but no contacts at the company and hadn't read any releases about marketing for low volume gigs and use. I find that info interesting considering the contradiction in use.

There are no contradictons. I dont have to have insider info to see what the build quality of an amp sitting in front of me is.

Peavey and their uses know who their main market is. They dont go after touring musicans. Have some used peavey gear? sure but this isnt their target demographic. There is no way that if you compare the build quality of a windsor with touring level gear that they are even in the same ball park. The board inside my Mesa MKIV is 3/8ths of a inch thick with huge traces. The board inside the windsor is barely and 1/8th of an inch with fine wire traces. The pots are part of the board and arent replaceable. Hell they are sealed so they arent even easy to clean if they get dirt inside. You dont have to be engineer to see how peavey got the windsor to the price point they did. The transformers in a JCM800 cost almost as much as an entire windsor and if you hold them in your hands you see why. The build quality of the windsor is good enough for to last for peaveys warranty which is what they want. Sure you can crank it up for a couple years but over time heat and dust would take its toll.

Nothing is free. Cheap amps are cheap for a reason.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

I'm not buying that Peavey marketed it as a disposable product, even though you could buy a bunch for the same price as a vintage Marshall, but think what you want. I think this video makes a nice point

Your info on target demographic is all guesswork. It doesn't help sell your point.

They market to the crowd with less disposable income. That part is true, but are you saying that people with less disposable income shouldn't go out and play gigs loud with their Peavey's? That doesn't seem like the target demographic for 100 watt head buyers.
    Last edited by Wormhelmet; 06-17-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Has peavey ever marketed to pro touring muscians? Is this amp marketed towards them? More importantly is the build quality on par with it?

BTW your video doesnt work

That part is true, but are you saying that people with less disposable income shouldn't go out and play gigs loud with their Peavey's?
    Nope iam saying that in the short run the amps will be fine. But that in the long run they wont last.

If you are insinuating that the build quality for the peavey is good enough for 30 years of loud touring gigs then things like Mesa/Boogies are insanely over built.

Has peavey ever marketed to pro touring muscians? Is this amp marketed towards them? More importantly is the build quality on par with it?

Yes, Peavey has marketed to pro touring musicians a great number of years, and the video works fine for me.

You dont think the classic 30, Classic 50, 6505, 5150, etc are taken touring? I used a triumph 60 watt over a decade and played out plenty of gigs with it. Still running strong when I sold it.

Shaunofthedeadologist Johnny the Kid's Avatar

I would say that the majority of their line is not for a touring musician. The 6505's and such are. But the Windsor and other such amps are perfect for a kid in high school or college who wants a decent tube amp for some local gigs. In my experience, it wasn't a "road head" persay, but I had no problem taking it to my high school and playing or even when we went to Florida senior year and I played guitar for the show choir band.

But yes, there are plenty of other good options. Even a POD Pro will only set you back a little bit more than the Peavey would have new.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Yes, Peavey has marketed to pro touring musicians a great number of years, and the video works fine for me.

You dont think the classic 30, Classic 50, 6505, 5150, etc are taken touring? I used a triumph 60 watt over a decade and played out plenty of gigs with it. Still running strong when I sold it.
    taken and designed for are 2 different things... I can take a ferrari off roading but is it designed for it? Grats you got 10 years out a triumph with "plenty" of gigs doesnt mean that it was the aim when it was designed.

And never mind that the triumph was when peaveys were made stateside and not offshore like the new ones are.

But we are talking about the windsor now arent we so what does this have to do with the classic 30? btw ive personally blown up 3 of those things. If bar hopping kills a C30 then it sure isnt pro touring level gear.
    Last edited by Edgecrusher; 06-16-2015 at 09:08 AM.

I don't know about majority of gear, but amp heads like the Mace, Ultra, Butcher, JSX, XXX, 5150, 6505, 3120 I think were all meant for touring musicians.

I think this all comes down to opinion anyway as that is all i've seen here including my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    In my experience, it wasn't a "road head" persay, but I had no problem taking it to my high school and playing or even when we went to Florida senior year and I played guitar for the show choir band.
    Sorry but there is a vast difference between a piece of gear that can handle a being hauled to choir practice and one that can handle being a piece of back line kit. Can they do it? sure but not for as long and when problems happen they will be larger.

Basically you agreed with me. Oh its perfect for a college kid. So then no its not pro level gear and the build quality is lower

I don't know about majority of gear, but amp heads like the Mace, Ultra, Butcher, JSX, XXX, 5150, 6505, 3120 I think were all meant for touring musicians.

I think this all comes down to opinion anyway as that is all i've seen here including my own.
    But you are still trying to muddy the water and not address that the build quality is visibly not as high as a JCM800. All this is smoke and mirrors to distract from that point. Or please show me anything to the contrary that the windsor (NOT some other peavey) amp has the same build quality. Please?

When I used to work for a shop that had a rental department it originally rented Yorkville stuff. That stuff did not take a beating very well. At some point we switched over to Peavey stuff for rentals and for the next two years that I was still with that shop not a single thing was critically damaged.

Now this was back between 2002 and 2006, but back then Peavey stuff was built like tanks. We always joked that you could use the stuff as weaponry and protection and it would still work afterwards. The PA stuff always sounded good. Guitar amps... Well, that's always a personal matter.
    Nope...

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Now this was back between 2002 and 2006, but back then Peavey stuff was built like tanks.
    Do they make anything stateside now? I know after the undercover boss thing I would definitely think twice before I gave them any of my money.

But you are still trying to muddy the water and not address that the build quality is visibly not as high as a JCM800. All this is smoke and mirrors to distract from that point. Or please show me anything to the contrary that the windsor (NOT some other peavey) amp has the same build quality. Please?
    Not trying to muddy any waters but all you have said is just opinion and guesswork. If you don't like Peavey and have certain standards for build quality in your own purchases fine, but I don't have the same opinions of the products as you. I think buying a second one for cheap would still be a better solution than touring with one expensive amp and relying on just that. Marshalls are not immune from issues.