Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alnico II Pro with an A5 Magnet - Neck

Default Re: Alnico II Pro with an A5 Magnet - Neck

Im also a fan of the A8. Higher output and firmer lows with the same softer treble of the A2

Tone Member

I’m still trying to get feedback from others about the neck pickup on the Charvel DKNY 24 HH guitar. It’s an Alnico 2 Pro humbucker but with a double row of hex screws. Essentially a Full Shred neck with an A2. I don’t see the model often but when I play it, it has a real clear yet warm tone with what I feel is a slight single coil snap to it. Very sweet pickup. Has anybody else tried this guitar? I like that neck pickup possibly even more than my sentient.

https://charvel.com/gear/shape/dk/pr...-cm/2969411598

I take that back about A9. I was thinking for neck position. Yes, for bridge position A8 would be the next good thing to try after UOA5.
    Maniac - Blasphemer - Necrobutcher - Hellhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    I had no idea there were the same wind!
    So I could drop my UOA5 magnet in my A2 Pro neck and I'd have something really interesting...

Which I've done, keeps the character of the pickup, but gives a little more high end bite, which I like.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Which I've done, keeps the character of the pickup, but gives a little more high end bite, which I like.
    @blueman335 - curious, have you ever tried a UOA5 in the bridge of an A2P? I like the bridge but want more treble and a little more low end, some more sharpness. The low strings are too spongey for me. Wanted to know if you've tried it and your thoughts.

ive tried it and it does what you are looking for, little more highs, little more lows with a sharper voicing to the high end

Awesome, thanks Jeremy!

Tone Member

I thought an UOA5 has less highs and more mids.

Tone Member

Oh compared to an A2 not a regular A5 never mind,

Quote Originally Posted by theperm View Post
    @blueman335 - curious, have you ever tried a UOA5 in the bridge of an A2P? I like the bridge but want more treble and a little more low end, some more sharpness. The low strings are too spongey for me. Wanted to know if you've tried it and your thoughts.

Yes, works well. I use UOA5's when an A2 is a little too warm or the low end is a little soft. You keep the basic rich sound of an A2 PU, which you would lose with any other magnet besides an UOA5.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Awesome thanks blueman! Btw i've been lurking on the forum for awhile and you were the one who gave me ideas for magnet swaps. The Epi LP in my profile pic came with the two EPi P90 pro's which are great pickups, but the 2 a5s in the neck and the bridge were overly bright (especially the bridge) and i swapped one A5 out of the bridge with an A8 and added an A4 to the neck, and that solved the issue without much fuss. Sounds awesome now. Thanks again!

Hey all so i did the surgery and am happy with the sound but the neck pickup was a little tough to push the magnet out. Everything seemed to go fine except a wire in the corner of the pickup came loose, but i thought it was just the wax that was holding it. Anyway, when I put everything back together and tried it I noticed there was a bit more noise with the gain on my amp than there normally was. Is it possible i disconnected a ground or something? Any easy way to check/fix? Thanks!!

Tone Member

Does it have copper shielding wrapped around it? It has a wire that is soldered to the baseplate and it’s easy to break it when you pry the baseplate from the coils. Simply fix by soldering it.

Hey thanks I didn't actually pry the baseplate off... I just removed the tape loosened the bobbin screws and pushed the magnet out from the side with the wires with a flathead screwdriver. I can check the wire and post pictures tomorrow