Thread: ALNICO II PRO SLASH APH-2 PICKUP & Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50s 2012

Default ALNICO II PRO SLASH APH-2 PICKUP & Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50s 2012

Hello,

I would like to know if "SEYMOUR DUNCAN ALNICO II PRO SLASH APH-2 PICKUP" ​works on my ​Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50s 2012.
    This guitar has a board to connect the pickups (Gibson Quick Access). I think it will need some connector to use (3 pin).
    I am sending some pictures.
    Somebody know a place I can buy this connector (model, name)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222742.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	68062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222810.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	68063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222827.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	68064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222913.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	68065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222742.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	68062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222810.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	68063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222827.jpg 
Views:	538 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	68064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151105_222913.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	68065 ?

Thank you,

--
    Theóphilo de Camargo Neto

Default Re: ALNICO II PRO SLASH APH-2 PICKUP & Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50s 2012

It's called a Molox connector, you can find them on Ebay or Reverb. Search Gibson pickup connector on Google and it should pull up under shopping.

I ripped all that nonsense out and went with 50's wiring. I sold my circuit board on Reverb with my pickups and more than paid for my wiring upgrade,

I am old fashioned about Les Pauls though, I think 50s wiring opens up the tonal options on that guitar and makes it sound like it's supposed to sound.
    Last edited by Shooter.556; 11-06-2015 at 07:58 AM.

It will work, but you'd have to either source a new connector, or cut the one off of the old pickup and figure out what colors of the Gibson pickup line up with ours.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter.556 View Post
    I ripped all that nonsense out and went with 50's wiring. I sold my circuit board on Reverb with my pickups and more than paid for my wiring upgrade,

I am old fashioned about Les Pauls though, I think 50s wiring opens up the tonal options on that guitar and sound like it's supposed to sound.
    +1

I'd do this as well.

The problem is to find the right connector. I am trying to find it in Internet.

If you do go that route get 500k pots, I use Bourns, I just like them, they are super smooth but CTS pots are fine too, they make nice pots.
    Put a .015 tone cap in the neck and a .022 in the bridge. I like 600v Orange Drops, the big ones and the 400v Russian PIOS the silver and the green ones are really nice.
    The .015 will get rid of 95% of the mud in the neck and you can dial it from a Clapton woman tone to an almost bell like chime.
    I do this on all my Les Pauls and I usually have to experiment with tone cap brands when I have everything wired in because every pickup is different and everyone's ears are different too.
    Tone caps are an easy swap and you can really dial in a pickup especially if you are a vintage classic rock, southern rock and blues player like me.
    High gain it really doesn't matter but with a good tube amp you can really bring the woody tone going this route. I learned all this from Bonamassa, he has some videos getting 11 different tones from a Les Paul using 50s wiring, tone volume knobs and a pickup selector. I used to build my own harnesses but Toneman which is where I buy mine now and Jonesy Blues also make nice harnesses and honestly after I attribute my time involved in buying parts and sitting down and soldering them I together then installing them, $50 for a premade harness from Toneman that all I gotta do is solder the bridge ground two pickups a switch and a jack and I am done in 2 minutes is money well spent for me. Tone man has my Bourns Pots and a good selection of tone caps that I prefer but the other guys do fine work too.

Good luck and if you need any help feel free to message me..

Quote Originally Posted by theocamargo View Post
    The problem is to find the right connector. I am trying to find it in Internet.
    http://www.mouser.com/Molex/Connecto...FZKLaQodwogAPA

This is who the guys on the Gibson forum suggest you call.

I ripped all that nonsense out and went with 50's wiring.
    Best advice one can give.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Especially since the Slash puckups are single conductor

Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Brandenburg's Avatar

i saw the circuit board in the ops pics and i had 2 thought.. WTF is that .. and my condolences

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

OH MAN.... They sell the connectors now? A few years back I bought an LP that had that board set up in it. NOONE sold the connectors. Called Gibson and said I dont care for the stock pickups so where can I get the connectors to use others and they said, well, most of our pups are avail with those connectors so you can seamlessly and conveniently swap. I had to rip the whole thing out, wire it up normally and put in my Duncans!! I think I tried Mouser back then too... Hope they have them now..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I can understand you want to keep the connectors, it's easily reversible that way and it can remain fairly stock. If you want to do it right though you are going to need a crimping tool as well. These tools are pretty specialized and can cost a bit of $$. For one guitar it may not be worth it. Just solder it all in place. That is still how most guitars are made. Just not ones that come off conveyor belts. You will get much better connectivity as well. Ignore the nonsense about 50s wiring, you don't need PIO caps or cloth wiring for a great sounding guitar.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aballen View Post
    I can understand you want to keep the connectors, it's easily reversible that way and it can remain fairly stock. If you want to do it right though you are going to need a crimping tool as well. These tools are pretty specialized and can cost a bit of $$. For one guitar it may not be worth it. Just solder it all in place. That is still how most guitars are made. Just not ones that come off conveyor belts. You will get much better connectivity as well. Ignore the nonsense about 50s wiring, you don't need PIO caps or cloth wiring for a great sounding guitar.

Yeah, keep tellin yourself that.. If that was the case, Les Paul players wouldn't be chasing late 50s PAF tone..
    You ever played an R8 or an R9 Gibson Historic with real PAFS and 50s wiring? It's a religious experience that changes a man..
    Anyone can turn all the knobs to 10 and say MAN THIS SOUNDS GREAT! Some of the greatest tones ever recorded thru a Les Paul was with a cranked amp and the guitar volume on 5 and tone on 6 or whatever.
    The in between tones on a Lester with 50's wiring and low output PAFS are what makes that guitar so special... Even Tele players in Nashville copied the Les Paul theory of blending pickups..
    Yeah, it'll sound decent with the board but he's leaving a lot on the table keeping that board in and the 300k pots in there. If that's what he's going to do and crank all the knobs to 10 then, yeah save money.
    If he wants every last drop of tone available from his Lester, the circuit board and factory pots are a handicap..
    Anyone who says differently, quite frankly doesn't know a lot about how Les Pauls work.

well if it was me.. and i owned a LP. the wiring would be like really "custom" and thought out wiring.. nothing against the 50's wiring...mine wold probably be more like a jimmy page wiring with a few changes

yea.. i just like to be different..To me.. a wiring as well as pickups adds or subtracts from a guitar personality equation... ALL great guitars have a personality and/or a soul IMO.. some just call it "MOJO" or "that something special"

I'll agree on some of your points, the board should go. Hard wire everything. I don't think that's a 50s thing though. Cloth wire? Looks cool, but copper wire is copper wire, just use good thick solid copper wire. Good caps, absolutely, a $100 set of vintage PIO caps, meh, just get some nice new PIO caps. There are so many factors that go into your tone, your cable, the amp, how about your fingers, no one ever seems to talk about that. Just spend 10k and you will sound like Jimmy page... Sorry, I'm not going to sell that MOJO.

Yeah, keep tellin yourself that.. If that was the case, Les Paul players wouldn't be chasing late 50s PAF tone..
    You ever played an R8 or an R9 Gibson Historic with real PAFS and 50s wiring? It's a religious experience that changes a man..
    Anyone can turn all the knobs to 10 and say MAN THIS SOUNDS GREAT! Some of the greatest tones ever recorded thru a Les Paul was with a cranked amp and the guitar volume on 5 and tone on 6 or whatever.
    The in between tones on a Lester with 50's wiring and low output PAFS are what makes that guitar so special... Even Tele players in Nashville copied the Les Paul theory of blending pickups..
    Yeah, it'll sound decent with the board but he's leaving a lot on the table keeping that board in and the 300k pots in there. If that's what he's going to do and crank all the knobs to 10 then, yeah save money.
    If he wants every last drop of tone available from his Lester, the circuit board and factory pots are a handicap..
    Anyone who says differently, quite frankly doesn't know a lot about how Les Pauls work.
    Man, that post is missing a "IMO". Lower the subjective glasses some...

And why chase the 50's LP tone, if just buying a Gibson R8/R9 gets you there? Hardly a chase then, innit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aballen View Post
    I'll agree on some of your points, the board should go. Hard wire everything. I don't think that's a 50s thing though. Cloth wire? Looks cool, but copper wire is copper wire, just use good thick solid copper wire. Good caps, absolutely, a $100 set of vintage PIO caps, meh, just get some nice new PIO caps. There are so many factors that go into your tone, your cable, the amp, how about your fingers, no one ever seems to talk about that. Just spend 10k and you will sound like Jimmy page... Sorry, I'm not going to sell that MOJO.

seriously.. people spend 100 on vintage caps? wow.. seems like snake oil to me but w/o no experience with them.. dunno..id probably just use some orange caps.. lol if i used caps anymore

I bought the connectors and I would like to know if someone know the right WIRING DIAGRAMS.

Could you help me ?

In the original pickups has 5 wires and in Alnico II Pro Slash has only 1...

Is that right ?

The Slash pickup has a braided shield, and coming through the middle of that shield is an insulated wire (the hot).
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.