Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishman Fluence Modern Humbucker -any updates, it's been a couple of years

Tone Member

Default Re: Fishman Fluence Modern Humbucker -any updates, it's been a couple of years

Also, the Sound on Sound review is a big selling point for me. It's non-youtube sound clips with methodological sound-comparisons. I really prefer the fishman tone against the BKP and feel it's a near draw/slight-win with the other set. The fact that they perform so well in this controlled setting is exciting.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...an-fluence.htm

Direct link to sound clips

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar1...ence-media.htm

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Fishman Fluence Modern Humbucker -any updates, it's been a couple of years

got an update today that the Devin Townsend set will be toward the end of the month.

in the mean time, I have a 6-string Stephen Carpenter set on the way.

Tone Member

Excited to hear your impressions. You thinking Townsend Neck, Modern-alnico Bridge?

Toneologist

As I bask in the delightful tones of the classics I can't help but dream a little. The Fluence is a PCB not a coil so it does not have the same restrictions. Why not take step on the wild side and leave the old coil configuration behind. I don't Know anything about pickup design but I took a shot at it any how. Here is my Fluence Allman Bros tribute pickup:
    Name:  fluence_20160509130501.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  45.9 KB

Here is how they'll sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPZxfS1jys
    Last edited by leevc5; 05-09-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Tone Member

That's a pretty specific request. I'd love for them to sell aftermarket voices that could be downloaded and installed. For example, on the strat set, I'd love the option to purchase a 60's voice and swap it out with the Texas Hot. I'm sure others would love to go with 60's/TX-heat for their voices as well. I don't know how much comes down to the coil shape and how versatile you can get with re-arranging the magnetic fields but it could be really cool to play with all kinds of voices and support the continued efforts/revenues.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by tonaholic View Post
    You thinking Townsend Neck, Modern-alnico Bridge?

???

I think I missed something

Tone Member

Well, just throwing out that since you're really digging the the modern alnico in the bridge: the townsend could be a fun compliment at the neck depending on how well the metal voice matches up with the modern bridge. I'm not a big fan of having identical pickups in both bridge/neck and it sounds like the DT model is a single model?

EDIT: Whoops! My mistake! They have a perfectly matched Alnico/Ceramic set. Awesome-sauce. Looking forward to the review!

EDIT2: Maybe Frank can clarify this but in this interview; Devin says that there is an active voice, a passive voice and a single coil voice while Fishman's site only describes them as Voice1 Metal / Voice2 Single-Coil.

First off, I'm surprised they could coax a really good single coil tone out of it given that I thought the winding still had to be physically similar to the desired voice before the pre-amp shaping? Anyway, I was thinking the Moderns would be perfect for my Custom24 but these might be even better! Now I have to figure out if the switching is even feasible without significant mods?

Last edited by tonaholic; 05-09-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Funkfingers

Quote Originally Posted by leevc5 View Post
    Here is my Fluence Allman Bros tribute pickup:
    Name:  fluence_20160509130501.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  45.9 KB
    Are we to assume that the cyan and red areas in the drawing are your proposed Fishman PCB "coil" outlines? I shall leave Frank Falbo to explain why that might not be the best idea.

As for the Duane and Dickey humbucker voicings, you have to remember that, on Statesboro Blues, Duane plays a lot of slide whereas Dickey plays none. It would help to know which recording of the song you are using as your reference. It would be pretty easy to deduce which guitar Betts played. Duane could have used any one of four or five different guitars - some of them sporting a P90.

Toneologist

" I shall leave Frank Falbo to explain why that might not be the best idea."

You don't think I was serious about that mess I drew up. I know about as much about Fluence pickups as my dog knows about Feynman propagators.

Funkfingers

Shh! It's fun to get Frank to explain complex pickup design stuff to us idiots.

Mojo's Minions

Well, just throwing out that since you're really digging the the modern alnico in the bridge: the townsend could be a fun compliment at the neck depending on how well the metal voice matches up with the modern bridge. I'm not a big fan of having identical pickups in both bridge/neck and it sounds like the DT model is a single model?

EDIT: Whoops! My mistake! They have a perfectly matched Alnico/Ceramic set. Awesome-sauce. Looking forward to the review!

EDIT2: Maybe Frank can clarify this but in this interview; Devin says that there is an active voice, a passive voice and a single coil voice while Fishman's site only describes them as Voice1 Metal / Voice2 Single-Coil.

First off, I'm surprised they could coax a really good single coil tone out of it given that I thought the winding still had to be physically similar to the desired voice before the pre-amp shaping? Anyway, I was thinking the Moderns would be perfect for my Custom24 but these might be even better! Now I have to figure out if the switching is even feasible without significant mods?

Yeah, my Fishman peeps have been telling me for some time that the Townsend set should be a good match for my personal preference.

I think that Townsend means that they are "voiced" to sound like those characteristics in each position. While trying to decide on a few wiring options, they went over how Townsend wires his up a little different for his personal use. And it seems that's a cool option, in that if you know which "voice" if your go-to preference, it can be hard-wired. So Townsend has a 3-way switch to get 3 options out of a single pickup...where as convention wiring might take 2 switch for 4 options and that might be too much to fiddle with in a live setting where quick changes are needed.

But who knows, I might find a favorite option across multiple sets for neck or bridge options and end up with a pseudo hybrid set. Or maybe my ideal set is yet to come in some of the other ideas they are working on for future release. We'll see.

Tone Member

To my understanding, voice 2 of the moderns is "like" a JB/59. What is voice 2 of the classics most "like?"

Funkfingers

The publicity describes Voice 2 of the bridge position Classic as "hot-rodded" without providing any precise clues as to how hot. The neck position Classic Voice 2 has a distinct honk to it, similar to some covered but not double wax-potted humbuckers. I prefer this option.

Tone Member

Maybe Frank can chime in: The DT set has me curious about it for my CST24 as that guitar is kind of all about versatility. I def want it to be my modern guitar. It sounds like the choice would be driven by pole-piece design vs blade design and I'm not very familiar with the differences.

I am ordering the Tele set as a trial. to start. The plan is: if it goes well, I'll throw the Strat set in my Strat, the Classics in my DGT and either the Modern or Townsend set in my PRS.

So do the blades in the Moderns split well? Would wiring the DT set a certain way produce better cleans?

Edit: I was thinking about wiring the DT set: Maybe it's possible to set the tone knob to push/pull the Active/Passive HB modes and the volume push/pull acts like a single coil blower switch? I think that could be a great wiring set up for performance if it's technically feasible.
    Last edited by tonaholic; 05-10-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Mojo's Minions

The DT set has me curious about it for my CST24 as that guitar is kind of all about versatility. I def want it to be my modern guitar. It sounds like the choice would be driven by pole-piece design vs blade design and I'm not very familiar with the differences.

So do the blades in the Moderns split well? Would wiring the DT set a certain way produce better cleans?

Edit: I was thinking about wiring the DT set: Maybe it's possible to set the tone knob to push/pull the Active/Passive HB modes and the volume push/pull acts like a single coil blower switch? I think that could be a great wiring set up for performance if it's technically feasible.
    The Townsend has 1 screw coil and 1 blade coil. The Modern has both blades. I covered the "split" tones in my tests/review of the Classic and Modern sets... however, I think that how "well" can be subjective, as one person might like the split modern ceramic but might not like the split classic (or vice versa or any other combination).

From what I've been told about the Townsend, it does split, but just to the outside coil, where the Classic and Modern sets allow the option to use either coil...or even a 3-way switch that go between each coil in the same humbucker.

It's an active, not passive pickup. There are a few different "vocabularies" that have come out in some of the descriptions floating around. The only thing "passive" that I've heard or seen is how "passive" can be used to describe/compare the voicing(s). But based on my experience and what I've been told about the Townsend set from Fishman, you should be able to wire it up like you are describing....as I've discussed in how mine are wire to one switch for the "voice" and another switch for the "split". It sees a switch as a switch, for the most part...be it a push/pull or a toggle.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    The Townsend has 1 screw coil and 1 blade coil. The Modern has both blades. I covered the "split" tones in my tests/review of the Classic and Modern sets... however, I think that how "well" can be subjective, as one person might like the split modern ceramic but might not like the split classic (or vice versa or any other combination).

From what I've been told about the Townsend, it does split, but just to the outside coil, where the Classic and Modern sets allow the option to use either coil...or even a 3-way switch that go between each coil in the same humbucker.

It's an active, not passive pickup. There are a few different "vocabularies" that have come out in some of the descriptions floating around. The only thing "passive" that I've heard or seen is how "passive" can be used to describe/compare the voicing(s). But based on my experience and what I've been told about the Townsend set from Fishman, you should be able to wire it up like you are describing....as I've discussed in how mine are wire to one switch for the "voice" and another switch for the "split". It sees a switch as a switch, for the most part...be it a push/pull or a toggle.
    Thanks for the info about the hybrid design. I'm very excited to hear your impressions. Do you know when your set should appear?

I should have been a little more specific regarding the passive/active comment. I do understand that its voicings in reference here and not physically changing modes between true active and true passive.

I would be very curious to hear a final word on the DT having 3 voice options without leveraging true coil split, as he implies in the video I shared.

It would be the first Fluence model with 3 district voices and a very intriguing development.

Mojo's Minions

Thanks for the info about the hybrid design. I'm very excited to hear your impressions. Do you know when your set should appear?

I should have been a little more specific regarding the passive/active comment. I do understand that its voicings in reference here and not physically changing modes between true active and true passive.

I would be very curious to hear a final word on the DT having 3 voice options without leveraging true coil split, as he implies in the video I shared.

It would be the first Fluence model with 3 district voices and a very intriguing development.
    I was led to believe the 6-string Carpenter set should ship pretty quick. Last I heard about the Townsend set is that it's still a few weeks before shipping.

I think you all have me sold on the Fluence pickup. I think the two voice option and coil tapping really gives a lot of versatility. Now I have a question for you what would be a good neck humbucker for my telecaster? I play like Clapton, Led Zep, Cream, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd...stuff like that so I need a pickup with some balls. I looked and listened to many of the Fluence Telecaster pickup demos and to be honest it souds to cheesy to me I mean that's just me it probably sounds great to people who are in to what old time telecasters should sound like but not like a telecaster with a humbucker neck pickup if you see what I mean.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by stancaster View Post
    I think you all have me sold on the Fluence pickup. I think the two voice option and coil tapping really gives a lot of versatility. Now I have a question for you what would be a good neck humbucker for my telecaster? I play like Clapton, Led Zep, Cream, Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd...stuff like that so I need a pickup with some balls. I looked and listened to many of the Fluence Telecaster pickup demos and to be honest it souds to cheesy to me I mean that's just me it probably sounds great to people who are in to what old time telecasters should sound like but not like a telecaster with a humbucker neck pickup if you see what I mean.
    Yeah, if you look through my comments history here in this thread, you'll see I was once feeling the same way from youtube demos. The comments from users, FF and the Sound on Sound demo really convinced me to take a chance on the Tele set. I'll post clips once they're installed but it'll be a while. Probably ~2 months. Luckily, I'll be recording direct from my AXE-FX II so the quality should be indicative of real world performance sans youtube compression.

Interesting idea about a tele set with a neck humbucker. I know the Gristle set is sold as a single unit for a number of reasons including controls, the plate etc. I bet the workaround would be to buy a Classic-Neck and wire it into the Gristle tone where the neck would traditionally connect. I don't think you can buy the Tele parts individually. If a fluence neck bucker for a tele is a must and you're committed to trying it, it's probably the only way. If I were in those shoes, I'd probably just try the tele set first before doing the bucker mod.

Yeah, if you look through my comments history here in this thread, you'll see I was once feeling the same way from youtube demos. The comments from users, FF and the Sound on Sound demo really convinced me to take a chance on the Tele set. I'll post clips once they're installed but it'll be a while. Probably ~2 months. Luckily, I'll be recording direct from my AXE-FX II so the quality should be indicative of real world performance sans youtube compression.

Interesting idea about a tele set with a neck humbucker. I know the Gristle set is sold as a single unit for a number of reasons including controls, the plate etc. I bet the workaround would be to buy a Classic-Neck and wire it into the Gristle tone where the neck would traditionally connect. I don't think you can buy the Tele parts individually. If a fluence neck bucker for a tele is a must and you're committed to trying it, it's probably the only way. If I were in those shoes, I'd probably just try the tele set first before doing the bucker mod.
    Sorry, but I think the Telecaster set they have is more for like Buck Owens and stuff like that ya know a lot of twang. I do't mean to be insulting or disrespectful in any way but it is a completely different telecaster set up and sound. The classic Telecaster was and is great for a broad range of music and one of the premiere guitars of all times but it is a different animal from the telecaster with a Humbucker neck set up. I think what I'm looking for is a high output Fluence humbucker that I can install and use with my existing bridge pickup. Thanks for the advice though.