Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which one sounds best for this tone?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weber Blue Dog

1 7.69%
  • Celestion Greenback Reissue

10 76.92%
  • Celestion Vintage 30

2 15.38%

Thread: Speaker Shootout - Blue Dog, Greenback, V30 - Classic Hard Rock Tone

Talking Speaker Shootout - Blue Dog, Greenback, V30 - Classic Hard Rock Tone

I did similar distorted riffage with these 3 speakers. There are no effects or pedals at all. The greenback is a reissue. I am not actually sure if the v30 is totally broken in yet.
    What's your opinion?
    Keep in mind that this is a mucho low-budget operation

Ceramic Blue Dog - Greenback RI - Vintage 30 clips
    Last edited by Stevo; 04-10-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Default Re: Speaker Shootout - Blue Dog, Greenback, V30 - Classic Hard Rock Tone

i much preferred the blue dog........seemed more lively and open......then the greenback because it was smooth and articulate........dont know whether the V30 is broken in or not, but it just didnt have the SOUND for my tastes

thanks for the comparison stevo.......great playing as always
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Default Re: Speaker Shootout - Blue Dog, Greenback, V30 - Classic Hard Rock Tone

The difference of the alnico and ceramic magnets in speakers is very similar to the difference between them in pu's. The lower parts are looser with the alnico blue dog and tighter with the other two. I just didn't care for the vintage 30. Which reassures me because I just replaced a vintage 30 I had paired with a Celestion blue (in a 2x 12 cab) with a ceramic Weber blue dog. The alnico blue and the ceramic blue dog make a good combo. ( clips to be posted hopefully later this week)

I gotta say I liked the greenback best, It sounded smooth and articulate( like Flank said) I found the Blue dog to be a little to harsh and bright for my
    taste. As for the V30?? Maybe it does need some breaking in, Cuz' it
    sounded a bit lifeless compaired to the other two? Good idea for clips!!

Unseen

Greenback...most life there

I like the Greenback as well. It just seemed more articulate, had a certain presence the others lacked.

Greenback followed by Blue Dog and Vintage 30 last...

Lewguitar

I liked the Greenback in this application.

The Blue Dog sounded mufffled...which I think it does, compared to a real Celestion Alnico Blue or Silver Bulldog. But it's still an excellant speaker.

The Vintage 30 sounded a little thin in the mids to me.

I liked the Greenback...more mids, more crunch.

Lew

purely sound wise, i like the greenback then the blue dog then the vintage 30. i think the 30 needs to be worn in, cause it seemed to have potencial. i just liked the greenback better soundwise than the blue dog..

thanks for the comparison.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Holy crap! The Greenback RI sounded soooo nice. It was so smooth. I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference in tone with speakers, but man, all three of those have their own unique sound. The V30's sounded really bottom-heavy. The Blue Dog was real gritsy and harder-edged sounding.
    Greenback's got my vote!
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

For this certain rip-off of Michael Schenker I thought the greenback was best.

For clean tones, the V30 is a definite contender.

For 60s sounds, like the Kinks, the blue dog rules

I used the same eq for all, therefore adjusting it for the first speaker, the blue dog. So there are a few variables to think about.

All of these are in my 412 cabinet and they sound pretty good together, but I think I will be using 2 blue dogs and 2 greenbacks in the end.

Junior Member Old seventies dude's Avatar

Looking for Classic Rock tone without including a jensen is like looking for Elvis on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Old seventies dude
    Looking for Classic Rock tone without including a jensen is like looking for Elvis on the moon.
    Yeah cuz all of the smart people know that he's on Mars...

Bullet Proof Toneologist kevlar3000's Avatar

I like the GBs, they just have a sparkle the others don't.

Hmmm, the Weber BD was totally what you'd hear on those early hard rock vinyls off
    Skynyrd and such. But...the Celestion GB was more lively, aggresive, and raw - more EVH like tone. The Greenback seems like the perfect speaker for this job, followed closely by the Blue Dog, and lastly the V30, which in my opinion not only needs to break in a little more - is more suitable in heavy gain situations when bottom end is essential. Go GB's!

Thanks guys

Guitarist - the Blue Dog and Greenback sound pretty good together, in a live situation. Also, I wont bag on the v30 until I know it's broken in Lots of people like these things so it's got to sound better than it does now.

I am pretty sure that my cabinet will end up with 2 GBs and 2 Blue Dogs