Thread: Recommendations for PRS SE 24 custom

Default Recommendations for PRS SE 24 custom

The pickups in my PRS are far to bright and chimey for me. They sound good on single coil mode but the humbuckers aren't good for me. I've tried all the basic fixes, rolling the volume off, playing with the tone, messing with EQ, lower the height and raising it. It seems to have bright and dull which is weird for a PRS guitar. It has a 1/4 flame maple top, the body is mahogany and so is the neck, and it has a rosewood fret board. I was thinking about maybe Pearly Gates, 59 custom, or Jazz. This guitar is mostly used for cleans but if I do add distortion it's only for moderate punk type of sounds nothing with a lot of gain. Any recommendations or ideas would be really nice. Thank you!

Super Toneologist

Default Re: Recommendations for PRS SE 24 custom

I liked the sh11 in mine when i had it. The regular custom & sh14 were too bright sounding. The neck i liked the 59n, but not completely for my style, could have used a bit more grit.

CC bridge and PG neck will do it for ya

What's the amp your playing through?

Tone Member

If you are looking for a budget option,check out Iron Gear in the UK . A set of pups is around $78 shipped. They give a good bang for the buck. I have re pupped 2 SEs . One with a set of Tesla sharks which are a pretty good Alnico II Slash type copy and another with a Tesla Shark bridge and an Alnico 4 Blues Engine neck. Both owners were very very happy with the improvement. Just something for you to consider .

I have two PRS SE guitars. The original Korean pickups can be improved with a magnet swap. UOA5 in the bridge pickup and Alnico 2 in the neck pickup should make a big improvement. They did in mine.

But magnets can only do so much and a complete pickup swap will turn those guitars into professional instruments.

I have Pearly Gates in one and Slash APH-2's in the other.

Of those two sets, I prefer the PG's and that's the set I'd suggest for your guitar.

They'll make an enormous improvement in your sound.

You can sell your original pickups for about $45 for the pair on Reverb. That's what I did.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-06-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    What's the amp your playing through?
    Crate GFX-1200

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    I have two PRS SE guitars. The original Korean pickups can be improved with a magnet swap. UOA5 in the bridge pickup and Alnico 2 in the neck pickup should make a big improvement. They did in mine.

But magnets can only do so much and a complete pickup swap will turn those guitars into professional instruments.

I have Pearly Gates in one and Slash APH-2's in the other.

Of those two sets, I prefer the PG's and that's the set I'd suggest for your guitar.

They'll make an enormous improvement in your sound.

You can sell your original pickups for about $45 for the pair on Reverb. That's what I did.
    I can get a set with a custom 5 and jazz for 150. Do you think I should spend the extra 50 on the pearly gates instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Calsip View Post
    I can get a set with a custom 5 and jazz for 150. Do you think I should spend the extra 50 on the pearly gates instead?
    Yes. If I were you, I would go for the Pearly Gates set.

Especially if you feel that what you have now is too bright.

I've never cared for the Custom 5 because it's always struck me as being to bright and lacking in mids.

You know, Seymour didn't design that one. It was a forum member who stuck an alnico 5 magnet in a Custom or Custom Custom and then, afterwards, the mod caught on with the Forum and the Custom 5 became part of the Duncan line.

I would think that Seymour would have already tried the A5 magnet in the Custom and didn't care for it and didn't release it.

Anyways, the PG's sound fantastic in my own PRS.

That's the set I would recommend. Especially if you're a player who uses his pick well and can do pinch harmonics and also squeeze those notes out.

Billy Gibbons does that so well.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 10-07-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    Yes. If I were you, I would go for the Pearly Gates set.

Especially if you feel that what you have now is too bright.

I've never cared for the Custom 5 because it's always struck me as being to bright and lacking in mids.

You know, Seymour didn't design that one. It was a forum member who stuck an alnico 5 magnet in a Custom or Custom Custom and then, afterwards, the mod caught on with the Forum and the Custom 5 became part of the Duncan line.

I would think that Seymour would have already tried the A5 magnet in the Custom and didn't care for it and didn't release it.

Anyways, the PG's sound fantastic in my own PRS.

That's the set I would recommend. Especially if you're a player who uses his pick well and can do pinch harmonics and also squeeze those notes out.

Billy Gibbons does that so well.
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a JB/Jazz in my custom 24. I love the JB, it sounds awesome in there for rock and metal. I don't like the jazz as much, it lacks the bottom end that the '59 or alnico II pro have to my ears. I'm swapping it out shortly for an alnico II pro, my favorite neck pickup.

Last edited by Jeries; 06-17-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeries View Post
    I have a JB/Jazz in my custom 24. I love the JB, it sounds awesome in there for rock and metal. I don't like the jazz as much, it lacks the bottom end that the '59 or alnico II pro have to my ears. I'm swapping it out shortly for an alnico II pro, my favorite neck pickup.

I ended up with the A2P and C2. The A2 is amazing in the neck. I think you will love it. Very good clean and distorted. I use it for math rock now lol

Have you considered a Full Shred set?