Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the point in big 100 watt heads?

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Default Re: What's the point in big 100 watt heads?

Quote Originally Posted by some_dude View Post
    This gig was a 30w Orange/4x12, 50w Electra Dyne and 300w Traynor/4x10. Mic'd vocals and kick. DI'd keys. Guitars/bass were not mic'd/DI'd.

The 30w Orange was running wide open. The 50w Electra Dyne (technically a 100w amp in 50w mode) had headroom to spare (the acoustic guitar is plugged into the Electra Dyne). The 300w Traynor was up around 7 on the master volume and well into overdrive.

Livecast iPhone video from the back of the bar.. at around 1:10 they fix the camera angle. We can argue about the quality of the recording but every instrument is audible and the vocals are clear. Part way through the second or third song the soundman crouched across the stage and turned up the Orange because it wasn't loud enough.

This is how most gigs I have ever played have been. Just vocals and maybe a few other items in the PA with guitar and bass balanced against the drums. The drummer is the main factor for stage volume. I would be willing bet it is this way for most of us here.
    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 08-14-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    This is how most gigs I have ever played have been. Just vocals and maybe a few other items in the PA with guitar and bass balanced against the drums. The drummer is the main factor for stage volume. I would be willing bet it is this way for most of us here.
    I'd say approximately 50% of my gigs are some variation on the above, and the other 50% are in bigger venues with better PAs.

Some of those bigger venues have been "loud band, PA is for sound reinforcement". Others have been "quiet band, PA is for sound production".

The trick has been being ready for anything and never having to rely on the venue for sound production or monitoring.
    Last edited by some_dude; 08-14-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Not sure it really matters, but I agr\ee with everything you experienced guys have said , but I still think there is a place for a 100 watt Hiwatt through two 4x12 cabinets, just for Cleans and headroom- nothing can compar to the tone of that set up..I wouldn't think it would need to be turned up to excessive levels to get the crystalline tones only a DR103 can give..of course , it would have to be a bigger venue. This is more for certain styles I suppose?

Anyway, I hate to say a lot of you guys are wussing out because I guess A) The audience doesn't give a flip what you sound like beyond sounding reasonably good so why bother , and B) You don't want to spend the money or haul the gear.

I
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    Not sure it really matters, but I agr\ee with everything you experienced guys have said , but I still think there is a place for a 100 watt Hiwatt through two 4x12 cabinets, just for Cleans and headroom- nothing can compar to the tone of that set up..I wouldn't think it would need to be turned up to excessive levels to get the crystalline tones only a DR103 can give..of course , it would have to be a bigger venue. This is more for certain styles I suppose?

Anyway, I hate to say a lot of you guys are wussing out because I guess A) The audience doesn't give a flip what you sound like beyond sounding reasonably good so why bother , and B) You don't want to spend the money or haul the gear.

I
    I watched a gig on Friday where the guitarist ran a Hiwatt through a 4x12. Hiwatt sounded great... too bad he ruined it with a distortion pedal.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

I've owned a lot of amps over the years. But outside of my DRRI FSR, all the ones that I remember fondly and even miss were in the 50-100 watt range. My current BE100 and Quickrod are awesome... even in the man cave.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

For all practice al musical purposes these days? No reason at all.

They are a point of style.

Speaking as a hard rock / metal player - still not need. 50 watt half stack is way more than enough. I have used a 1x12 100 watt solid state power unit Marshall on stage. Works beyond fine. With a good PA - works better at 25 watts....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Little Pigbacon

Every guitarist needs a 100W tube amp and at least four, twelve-inch speakers. Other configurations are unlikely to work at all.

there is something to be said about four big bottles and big trannys. i have an old dual showman reverb that i seldom use on gigs but every time i plug it in, its impressive. big tight bottom and clear firm highs even at 2 on the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Ever been on a stage next to a maple DW kit, in a venue that has over 1200 audience members? 100W is about right.
    Yep ever played in a Worship setting in a Pentecostal CHURCH and in particular a BLACK Pentecostal church? Try getting over the crowd the Hammond/ Lesley and drums WITHOUT a 100 watt half stack!
    Try 3500 + here with 700 or so slamming the stage! Running an old Carvin X100B hot rod mod head on a 4/12 here.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4453782
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-15-2017 at 05:22 AM.

Man, I can't stand a show where the stage volume is so loud. It makes it instantly unbearable for me. We always put everything through the PA- it makes it so much easier to mix out front, and keeps the sound even for everyone in the audience.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Man, I can't stand a show where the stage volume is so loud. It makes it instantly unbearable for me. We always put everything through the PA- it makes it so much easier to mix out front, and keeps the sound even for everyone in the audience.
    Me too. Not to mention singers begin to struggle, the bass player can't keep track of the kick drum, and the guitarist thinks he's never loud enough.
    Low-ish stage volume any day over Rock 'n Roll Suicide.
    Last edited by Diego; 08-15-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar

I've played gigs where I had a 100 watt head and was being blown out by a guy with a 20 watt combo. Not because I couldn't have crushed him into oblivion... but because I'm not a jacka$$. I chose to just lay back and not compete at the audience's expense. The fact is, 100 watt amps have girth and headroom that smaller amps don't. So given a 100-watter that sounds good at reasonable volumes (most of mine have), it's a win in my book.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    I've played gigs where I had a 100 watt head and was being blown out by a guy with a 20 watt combo. Not because I couldn't have crushed him into oblivion... but because I'm not a jacka$$. I chose to just lay back and not compete at the audience's expense. The fact is, 100 watt amps have girth and headroom that smaller amps don't. So given a 100-watter that sounds good at reasonable volumes (most of mine have), it's a win in my book.
    Yup, most small amps can be stupid loud, and many modern big amps can deliver the goods without needing to be stupid loud. As I mentioned in an earlier post because of the logarithmic nature of wattage needed to produce a given volume, there is a not a huge difference between the loudness that can be produced by small amps and big amps.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    there is something to be said about four big bottles and big trannys.
    This an amp, right? Not in some sleazy alley on a Saturday night....

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I like a balance of stage / PA volume. But yeah - too loud is too loud. NO ONE likes it. I like to hear all the parts on stage. When your amp is louder than the monitors....fail.

The problem since loud stage volumes became unpopular is some of the best tones from the electric guitar come from the power amp distorting. A classic 6L6 Fender or a classic EL34 Marshall is going to be loud in that case. Today there are options: attenuators, power scaling, low watt/big bottle amps, digital amps, re-amping, PPIMV, certain pedals...ect.. There is no good excuse for over the top stage volume today, regardless of PA facilities, at least from the guitar amp. Balancing Hard hitting Drummers on the other hand.....

I have to admit, I do like the thump in the chest a half stack can give. And 2x15 with 4x10 700watt bass stacks.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Ever been on a stage next to a maple DW kit, in a venue that has over 1200 audience members? 100W is about right.
    I think forum bro Wah Wah was a touring session musician playing through a mic'd up 15w fender amp.

100w is sometimes acceptable, but always overkill.

I saw Megadeth back in 2005, Gigantour, as I recall. There were four Marshall stacks on each side of the drums. Now, I know bands are known for setting up a wall of fake amps. That night, it was not the case. They were all running, just fine. It was almost enough to cause incontinence.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I like a balance of stage / PA volume. But yeah - too loud is too loud. NO ONE likes it. I like to hear all the parts on stage. When your amp is louder than the monitors....fail.
    What monitors??
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp