Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Z says modeling amps are going to be the next wave...

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Default Re: Dr. Z says modeling amps are going to be the next wave...

Metal/Rock bands are'nt maybe selling out arena's & banging out multi-platinum albums, but there's other reason's for that.

I would'nt say there's a dip in the popularity of the guitar in any way. The underground is thriving, there's literally zillions of bands of every type/genre/description out there, millions of people are making their own guitar music at home, youtube is full of hacks hacking away at their guitars ..eh, there's no way guitar's are going away anytime soon. The 80's were full of dance music & electronic crap too ..so what?
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    The underground is thriving
    …and there you have it. The guitar is finding its niche of enthusiasts, like the shawm, the bagpipe and the concertina. Recruitment to these niches will stagnate, as the instrument feels increasingly alien to the youth culture that brought it to the forefront, and the general tenor of players is going to be less on innovation and more on preservation of a legacy. It is a story seen time and time again for instruments and musical traditions, and one I doubt the guitar and the rock culture (jazz is closer) will be the sole exception.
    Last edited by Sirion; 02-14-2018 at 02:38 AM.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Dr. Z says modeling's the future (but then you might think he would, since he's tied up with Kemper & making his own Dr Z modules/profiles or whatever...)

..and your saying there is no future lol..

The way I look it at it is **** what may or may not be...here and now is where it's at. Just have fun & play your guitar
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    I love the guitar, and I would love to see it revived, but at this point I have my doubts.
    Have faith brother, have faith.

What's mainstream, now more than ever, isn't, at least to me, even music. It makes me think of the song "Spirit of the Radio" by Rush. Machines making music for machines. Or maybe the opening scene from "2001: a Space Odyssey" where a bunch of creatures are influenced by a massive non descript object that they can't even begin to understand.
    Tide pods anyone?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Little Pigbacon

Anyone who thinks guitar isn’t going to make it should just give up now and get it over with. Sell your gear and start playing video games instead. Or Candy Crush on your phone. Start listening to people like Rihanna and Taylor Swift. Never mind that Taylor Swift plays guitar; it’s only because she’s a rich and famous superstar. It’s not something regular people can do.

I never said guitar playing would come to an end.

But I will say that TUBE GUITAR AMPS will come to an end and that it will happen within the lifetime of players 30 or under.

And when it happens, modelers will be so good, so cheap and so easy to use that few will miss tube guitar amps.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post

But I will say that TUBE GUITAR AMPS will come to an end and that it will happen within the lifetime of players 30 or under.

Well, I don't think we are in danger of any technology ending soon- it takes decades for that to happen, and there will always be revivals of old gear and new companies making it. I also welcome new technology going somewhere other than trying to recreate classic guitar sounds. I look forward to new artists doing somethings we haven't heard before.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Everyone thought rock n roll was dead when disco took off in the '70's, then metal imploded in the '80's, then all the grunge/punk rockers died in the 90's, then...

Have no fear
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Tone Member

I can tell you muzzleloading rifles became obsolete with the invention of breech loading rifles with brass cartridges and smokeless powder in the late 19 century. There are still hundreds of thousands of deer hunters here in the US that hunt with muzzleloaders and black powder for the added challenges and nostalgia.

There will always be Tube amps available...always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tone Member

I've never been so glad to be 31.

Little Pigbacon

Well, your believing that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, and my not wanting to believe it doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen. I’m forty-two, and I like tubes because I like tubes. I’m willing to invest in multiple tube amps, parts, tubes, accessories and tech labor for as long as they’re available. Does somebody want to take my money, or should I just buy the one modelling amp that someone thinks I “need”, and be done with it? When every amp is a modelling amp that can do everything, how many amps are amp companies going to be selling?
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 02-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.

I'm a happy Kemper. I also love tube amps. I think lumping the Kemper in with other modelers is a mistake, although the best ones each have their strengths.

Tone Member

Hey there always has to be tube amps or the modelers won’t have anything to copy .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    Hey there always has to be tube amps or the modelers won’t have anything to copy .
    You, sir, are a genius

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Have you ever played through a Spider Valve?

Yeah, but it wasn't that great. I bought one a year or so after they first came out, but it frustrated me because by the time I got my settings down for a few patches, the amps sounded the same. All the amp models sounded similar, as if the only difference is an EQ shift and variance of gain range. 20 days after I got it, the LED window malfunctioned, so I returned it and didn't bother getting another one.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
    If you mean their new "The Amp", that has a single valve preamp and a solid-state power section.
    Well thanks for the clarification, but it doesn't change the point I was making.
    Last edited by SavageRiffer; 02-14-2018 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRiffer View Post
    Yeah, but it wasn't that great. I bought one a year or so after they first came out, but it frustrated me because by the time I got my settings down for a few patches, the amps sounded the same. All the amp models sounded similar, as if the only difference is an EQ shift and variance of gain range. 20 days after I got it, the LED window malfunctioned, so I returned it and didn't bother getting another one.
    Bummer. I got the revised mkII version and it seems to have a decent variety of tones in it.

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    They could certainly go off the gold standard, so to speak. When few people have even heard of a JCM800, what motivation will amp manufactures have to offer a modeller that delivers an authentic JCM800 sound? They could just phone it in with something that sounds vaguely 80’s — like you see in a lot if low-end modelling today. But then, where’s all this progress that’s supposed to be coming?

Ben1962

Because time will never change the Golden Age. There will always be people who long for the good ole days. Got to youtube and see how many young people there are jammin still. And when they get older, they will still Rhodes and Lynch. Even tho their friends could care less