Thread: HSS RWRP and DC Resistance

Default HSS RWRP and DC Resistance

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an exact answer.

I'm about to put new pups in an HSS strat.

The neck pup is 6.2k and the middle rwrp is 6.5k.

From what I understand it is better to put the rwrp in the neck position. Will swapping the neck and middle cause issues because the DC resistance will be the wrong way around or will it not be noticeable?

tonewood instigator

Default Re: HSS RWRP and DC Resistance

In my experience, unless you are doing some trickery with the wiring, it's best to put the RWRP in the middle. That way the 2 and 4 positions will be noiseless. If you put it in the neck only the 4 position will be noiseless, unless you plan on doing neck and bridge in parallel instead of bridge and middle.

Thanks Chistopher...but as the bridge is a humbucker, won't middle and bridge will be noiseless anyway?

One other thing, I will be puttnig in a coil split for the bucker. Not sure if that make a difference.
    Last edited by snootles; 02-13-2018 at 05:58 AM.

The middle and bridge won't be noiseless, unless the humbucker is split to the right coil. If you are worried about the balance between the neck & middle, they are .3 apart, which I know I can't hear. Maybe others can. But you can balance those with pickup height.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

ok, so just to clarify, should the rwrp be in the neck position?

Which humbucker coil should be split to for noise cancelling?

tonewood instigator

RWRP should be in the middle and you should split to slugs on the humbucker.

If they are Duncan pickups then Christopher has it backwards. His repeating the incorrect information doesn't make it any more correct.

No matter the brand, use whichever single coil that is attracted to the coil you want to use on the humbucker. To see if they attract put the single coil face to face with the humbucker coil you want to use. If the pickups are Duncan then the standard single will be attracted to the slug coil and the RW/RP will be attracted to the screw coil. This is because Duncan slug coils are and Duncan RW/RP singles are both north. Duncan screw coils and non-RW/RP Duncan single coils are both south.
    Last edited by gregory; 02-13-2018 at 09:34 AM.
    Pickups don't "take" gain.
    This message was not sent using Tapatalk.

Ben1962

And here we go LOL

The only possible exceptions are the Texas Antiquities, and I'm not even sure the polarity is reversed. It could be that they only have the wire colors reversed.

I just double checked an uninstalled Duncan RW/RP against a brand new Duncan humbucker.

Here we go, indeed:

I seriously have to question Christopher's experience. The only "trickery with the wiring" in order to combine an RW/RP single and a humbucker slug coil and make them hum-cancelling is to run them out of phase. The trickery to combining an RW/RP single and a humbucker slug coil and getting them to be hum-cancelling and in phase is to flip the magnet in the humbucker and reverse the wiring of *either* the single *or* each of the two coils of the humbucker (assuming you still want to connect the tied pair to ground in order to split the humbucker so the slug coil is active).
    Last edited by gregory; 02-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    His repeating the incorrect information doesn't make it any more correct.

I seriously have to question Christopher's experience. The only "trickery with the wiring" in order to combine an RW/RP single and a humbucker slug coil and make them hum-cancelling is to run them out of phase. The trickery to combining an RW/RP single and a humbucker slug coil and getting them to be hum-cancelling and in phase is to flip the magnet in the humbucker and reverse the wiring of either the single or each of the two coils in the humbucker (assuming you still want to connect the tied pair to ground in order to split so the slug coil is active).
    I was wrong, get over yourself!

Yes you were wrong. I didn't know I was under myself. Even if I was, why would that matter?

The point is disseminating correct information and you haven't done that. It doesn't help that the admin liked the post where you repeated yourself.

That out of the way, you deserve credit and respect for being able to admit that you were wrong.
    Last edited by gregory; 02-13-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Regarding the matter of DCR, it is the inductance that actually matters. With any luck you can measure that with your meter.

But based solely on the 300 ohm difference and assuming (theoretically) that everything else was exactly the same, I agree with Mincer's sentiment that it will likely not be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    The only possible exceptions are the Texas Antiquities, and I'm not even sure the polarity is reversed. It could be that they only have the wire colors reversed.
    the magnetic polarity of the th is opposite of normal duncans but thats the only one that i know of

Good to know, thanks!

I should have tempered that post so that it reads more like yours.

Questionologist

Humbucker (not split) combined with single will still have some noise, just not as much as a single by itself.

Don't bother with figuring out which attracts to which, just grab one of these (my regular free Schatten product endorsement annoying to veterans of this board -- just think of it as a recurring feature here, like the McRib...) and you'll wonder how you did without it:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ty_Tester.html
    Generic signature line.