Thread: So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

Tone Member

Default So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

I took my lonestar MIM to a tech because the bridge pickup is noisy when palm muting ( like a hum, some static) but when the single coil is active on the bridge it gets a little quite but don't like the tone. Also on the g string when fretting higher notes it makes this tremolo effect noise.
    So the tech said that there's no nothing we can't do because the guitar wasn't made to play high Gain stuff. The noise issue is the pickups and might be the electronics too. The solution will be swapping out everything and blocking the bridge or get a new guitar.

Also on an article I read that is normal for strats to have fret buzz because of the radius. so high action might solve the issue. No wonder when I play with gain you cant hear the notes ring out with clarity.

I will like to hear anyone's opinion on this issue I had for months lol. And for how much should I sell my strat MIM and what should I get? I find 24.75 scale length comfortable
    Last edited by Willy25; 05-12-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Default Re: So my Fender lonestar is not suit for hard rock and metal?

Well, I'd say, try another tech.
    Too many people play Strats with metal and all sorts of pickup combos. Use what you got. It might need some fretwork, but you can absolutely set up modern Strats with good action and no buzzing.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

The Lone Star model is designed to sound like SRV and ZZ Top. You could force it to work but it's not the right tool for the job you want done.

If you're into hard rock and metal get a Gibson or an LTD.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Your “tech” is an idiot.

That tremolo sound is because the pickups are too close to the strings. The magnets pull on the strings. That’s commonly called “Stratitus.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, I'd say, try another tech.
    Too many people play Strats with metal and all sorts of pickup combos. Use what you got. It might need some fretwork, but you can absolutely set up modern Strats with good action and no buzzing.
    Thanks I'll try another tech. Just looked at some videos where people are playing metal with strats and sounds pretty clean

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    Your “tech” is an idiot.

That tremolo sound is because the pickups are too close to the strings. The magnets pull on the strings. That’s commonly called “Stratitus.”

Really? I can't believe it :/ I thought when you get a profession you have to know most important issues.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    The Lone Star model is designed to sound like SRV and ZZ Top. You could force it to work but it's not the right tool for the job you want done.

If you're into hard rock and metal get a Gibson or an LTD.
    I'll probably try another guitar or just work on this one and make it more versatile

Ultimate Tone Member

https://youtu.be/0v-ldIF0iCo

This guy makes a $30 Strat copy sound passable. A MIM Strat should have no problems.

Tone Member

sounds like you need a better tech. Uli Roth, Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen and many others show that you can rock hard on a Strat that has low output pickups. A great setup is critical though.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

Name:  8F663654-B8BF-435E-8B72-84DB8B5DD1CB.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  66.6 KB

As long as you’re Strat is setup correctly you should be able to play just about anything with it & you might wanna consider swapping pickups before you go swapping guitars???

The action was set so low on this one when I bought it I had to bring it up to be able to play it comfortably! Even with the strings super low it rang out clearly all over the board & it’s probably still the easiest/best playing guitar I own? (Included in my collection are many high dollar USA Gibson’s & Fender’s!!!) So I think I’m going to have to agree with my colleagues & suggest you find another tech?

Even if you decide to keep the vintage single coils you should be able to get some grit out of it in the bridge. However there’s always going to be some 60 cycle hum because that’s just what single coils do....
    Last edited by Nostalgic Distortion; 05-13-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

OH THE GLAZE!

If you can't make the action work without buzzing, it needs a fret level. It has nothing to do with which radius it has. That guy is dumb.

About the guitar itself issue. I found that the main issue for me with strats was that I didn't like the trem or single coils adding jangles to the sound and went with a hardtail with humbuckers. Although it doesn't affect the bridge pickup as much and you can get a good rock sound depending on ur pickup. If you like the guitar, there's no reason you can't set it up for the range of sounds you like. Strats are extremely versatile.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-13-2019 at 11:32 AM.

A guitarist from another band came with the same question, complained about hum and squealing. I installed a emg set and called it a day. Was i overacting?
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willy25 View Post
    Really? I can't believe it :/ I thought when you get a profession you have to know most important issues.
    A lot of people these days call themselves guitar techs or even luthiers. Yet I’m fixing their shoddy work all the time.

Just like with auto mechanics or even doctors, some of them just aren’t that good.

Tone Member

So I guess no tech knows what's going on. I meet 3 of them and even took my Peavey vypyr amp with me to show them that my Jackson doesn't have the same issue. It sounds pretty clean on the red channel.

So what I did to kind off solve the problem. Instead of having the volume/tone knob for the bridge on Max I put it like around 9 or 8 and it sounds better more clean no background noise. also something that helped too put the power sponge to 50% don't understand how that worked. So it Clear up like 80% but I lost some bight to the tone. Not that drastically but it's ok.
    So is it a pot issue when the amp gets a boost?

On the stratitus issue. I lowered the single coil pickups and same issue :/
    Last edited by Willy25; 05-16-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Well issues with frets aside, a nice powerful bridge pup may be nice

Even with doctors, only 1 out of every 10 finished in the top 10% of their class. And with your typical guitar tech, there is usually no schooling, just on-the-job training and dang little of that. Many years ago I decided to learn to work on my own guitars when I found there was no one in my area that I could trust to care for them.
    "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Bro I’ve put all sorts of pickups in all sorts of guitars.

Sometimes the guitar makes the sound. My les Paul is lower output but the guitar resonates a lot and that helps make it sound aggressive. Allows great attack.

My explorer has softer attack but hotter pickups.

I put a set of dimarzios in a fender jaguar once. Some of you might remember and if you do god damn are we old

The dimarzios ROARED and the guitar sounded so good

But I wanted a single coil sound later on and sold the jaguar for $800 and ordered 2 strats. One of them totally sucked. MIJ 60s model from the 90s. Seller lied about the condition and the frets were super worn. Ended up selling that one

The other one was a turquoise strat with maple fretboard and large 70s headstock. It had SD SSL-1s I think they’re called. That one ROCKED

I also put a set of hot rails in a telecaster and after getting new pots that guitar was loud as heck. It didn’t give me the beef I wanted but it started to give me the tone.