Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I mix a CS 60's Neck and Middle with a SD Antiquity Surfer Bridge?

Default Can I mix a CS 60's Neck and Middle with a SD Antiquity Surfer Bridge?

The CS 60's are ~ 5.8K and the Surfer Bridge is 9.8K. Not sure if that matters -- it's almost twice as much? I've never mixed pick ups before and wonder if this is a better approach vs replacing an entire set?

The main goal is cutting through the mix playing live and obviously if I can improve my sound overall for solos.

Wondering if it is just easier to replace the whole set?

Thank you!

tonewood instigator

Default Re: Can I mix a CS 60's Neck and Middle with a SD Antiquity Surfer Bridge?

I think that would work well and many people prefer to have a bit more beef in the bridge position. You may or may not have phase issues with the 2nd position, I won't claim to know.

Default Re: Can I mix a CS 60's Neck and Middle with a SD Antiquity Surfer Bridge?

the surfer bridge is wound with smaller wire than the normal surfer and cs 60s. assuming you have the cs60's now, there is no reason you can just get the surfer bridge, it should work fine. i believe you will need to switch the wires on the bridge pup to make the phase relationship correct with the middle pup but thats it. the surfer custom bridge is a great pup, i have no experience with the cs 60's but i dont see any issue with this working out great

I would think the Surfer would be out pf phase with the CS 60, isn't that right?
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I would think the Surfer would be out pf phase with the CS 60, isn't that right?
    If it is, an Antiquity Texas Hot would not be. I really like those.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

OH THE GLAZE!

Ultimate Tone Slacker eclecticsynergy's Avatar

IMO the Surfer bridge has more cut than the Texas. It really doesn't sound overwound despite the DCR. Gives you a little extra drive without sacrificing the Strattiness.

Fralin Vintage Hot is another good option. It will be closer to the Lollar Blackface you like in your other Strat. That's good in terms of getting consistent tone using the same settings, not so good if you're looking for something different.

I have a Surfer bridge in one Strat and another with a set of Vintage Hots and I like 'em all a lot. Neither option would be a poor choice IMO.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."