Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm OD pedal

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Warm OD pedal

Hello all,
    I'm looking for a smooth Warm Crunchy OD. I currently run a Boss wazacraft Blues driver and stack it sometimes with a tc electronics Spark. I did the tone I get out of the Blues driver but I'd like to have something warmer more Crunchy then fizzy. I can dial in a really nice warm crunchy tone but I feel I can do better.
    What is on the market that has more of a mid range push and or better low end? Ive had the Mojo Mojo and Dark Matter from tc electronics and didn't really care for those pedals, I had a Tube steamer from Ibanez all the different models except the mini and didn't really care for how that sounded , they where nice but I found the Blues driver to better all those pedals. The Spark is awesome as it's warm clean beautiful and I think it's the best Boost pedal I've ever used plus it's gain structure is perfect but on it's own it's a bit light not to mention I like to use it as a boost most of the time. But it has that warmth I like and it's so well made. I wish it has a better gain structure meaning more gain then it would basically be perfect for what I'm looking for.
    I know there has to be something out there like it. I thought of picking up another Spark and just mazing out the gain , running it in Mid Push and seeing where that goes and make even using 2 of them together. That might work but if there is another pedal out there that could sound like that I'm all ears.
    I know Wampler is a good company to look at, any suggestions?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Warm OD pedal

OCD!!! Warm sounding, natural feeling response, both HP & LP midrange voices. Tone stays thick when boosting.
    I use mine solely as a boost, but love it...and I own and have tried ALOT of OD pedals.
    For the record, I also love and use the BD-2, and never got along with TS type pedals myself...
    Last edited by Van Noord; 03-11-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Marshall JVM 210H w/ EL34s
    Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s
    Paul Reed Smith MT15 w/6L6s
    Krank Revolution1 412 w/ V30/Vet30
    Mesa Recto Trad 412 w/ V30
    Schecter Solo II ATX w/ EMG 85/81
    Fender HWY1 Strat w/ Dimarzio Air Zone
    LTD Viper 301 w/ SD Black Winter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fulltone OCD or Plimsoul - great standalone pedals and stack really nicely with cleaner ODs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
    OCD!!! Warm sounding, natural feeling response, both HP & LP midrange voices. Tone stays thick when boosting.
    I use mine solely as a boost, but love it...and I own and have tried ALOT of OD pedals.
    For the record, I also love and use the BD-2, and never got along with TS type pedals myself...
    I find the BD-2W to be to loose for my tastes. It's great sounding don't get me wrong especially at low gain settings but when you turn up the gain it seems to get loose. A lot of guys love that loose sound, I prefer a tighter sound.
    The OCD it's funny you say that as I was just watching clips on it and that seems to be perfect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Mad Professor Simble.

Warm and crunchy although you can dial in super saturated tones if you want to.

Sounds like a Dumble amplifier.

The Simble and the Klon KTR are my two favorite OD pedals.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Warm OD pedal

Based on my observation, I’ve noticed you seem to favor Boss

How about the JB-2? You have the BD-2 inside and a nice crunch box. Plus you can switch between them with your es8 into the remote.

https://youtu.be/lA-_C5sS7Nk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JB-2 is on my short-list now! Love the stacked options.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A clean boost also works really well into an OCD

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    Based on my observation, I’ve noticed you seem to favor Boss

How about the JB-2? You have the BD-2 inside and a nice crunch box. Plus you can switch between them with your es8 into the remote.

https://youtu.be/lA-_C5sS7Nk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    LOL you noticed that. Yeah I grew up in the 70's and 80's learning guitar and Boss Pedals( as well as MXR) where what I used. I still favor them over most other companies and I venture out a lot.
    But today was a very good day. I ventured out and found exactly what I was looking for. It's those times in life that things come together. The OCD is incredible and exactly what I was looking for in a warm natural sounding clean OD pedal. I really enjoy it's tonal ability. I played with it for a few hours now and man I really like it.
    Another thing I learned about is the voltage. I have the CS-12 power supply which is awesome and has 18v DC out. So I used that on the OCD and man it sounds great. WOW guys I want to thank everyone who pointed me in that direction. It's exactly what I was after, I still can't believe it was that easy. It never is for me when I'm tone chasing.

Here is a shot I had to throw it on the board , it lives in Loop 4 which I saved for a OD type pedal. Now If I can pick up a DD-500 I could free up another loop for something else LOL.
    So fun.
    Name:  IMG_4908.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  80.1 KB

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    A clean boost also works really well into an OCD
    Yes it does. I have the tc electronics Spark and it works very well with the OCD in front of it or behind it. With the ES-8 Switcher, I can move pedal order around at will , it's so damn good.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like you got the new version, the 2.0, which will apparently be Mike Fuller's last version of the pedal. I have the V1.7 myself...

https://legendarytones.com/mike-full...oduces-ocd-v2/

Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the 805 Overdrive has more gain range than most overdrives and allows you to have as much or as little bass as you want (and mid, and treble). Three-band active EQ is pretty awesome.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    the 805 Overdrive has more gain range than most overdrives and allows you to have as much or as little bass as you want (and mid, and treble). Three-band active EQ is pretty awesome.
    For me, at least, there is more to an overdrive pedal then amount of gain, bass, treble and mids. I can't quantify what exactly...Feel? Warmth? Response? Interaction? If gain and eq levels are akin to someone's physical appearance, then the other things I mentioned are their personality...I guess.

Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OCD or Keeley Red Dirt OD, I like them both...

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like you got the new version, the 2.0, which will apparently be Mike Fuller's last version of the pedal. I have the V1.7 myself...

https://legendarytones.com/mike-full...oduces-ocd-v2/
    On that link with the back covers off, I have the one on the right with the True Bypass Enhanced Bypass switch.

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I gotta take one of those for a test drive. You never ever can have to many drives. I may pull off the Boss Wazacraft Blues drive and let it go as the OCD is perfect but I'm now interested in checking out the SD 805, looks damn awesome.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i like a warm clear sound, timmy is my go to overdrive. very musical. volume and gain are self explanatory. bass is pre gain and reductive so turning it up reduces bass before it hits the drive circuit so you can keep the bottom clean and tight or fat and a little lose. the treble is also reductive but post gain so you can dial out any harshness or fizz you dont like. theres a switch for asymmetrical clipping or more gain and the chip is socketed so you can swap. i have two timmys and one has a swapped chip but i cant tell ya what it is off the top of my head since its been so long. its just a good solid overdrive that works great for me but there are plenty of others out there too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i like a warm clear sound, timmy is my go to overdrive. very musical. volume and gain are self explanatory. bass is pre gain and reductive so turning it up reduces bass before it hits the drive circuit so you can keep the bottom clean and tight or fat and a little lose. the treble is also reductive but post gain so you can dial out any harshness or fizz you dont like. theres a switch for asymmetrical clipping or more gain and the chip is socketed so you can swap. i have two timmys and one has a swapped chip but i cant tell ya what it is off the top of my head since its been so long. its just a good solid overdrive that works great for me but there are plenty of others out there too
    I have the V1 Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive which is supposed to be a Timmy clone circuit. (So much so that they had to cease production, change the circuit and release V2)
    Have you tired one before? Wondering how close it is since I've never played a Timmy. The TOD is a great pedal though.

Coincidentally, I also the V1 Cool Cat Drive pedal, which also had to be changed because of it's apparent straight copy of the OCD circuit. It's a nice sounding pedal, and is...close to the OCD. (But who knows what version they copied) It does have more gain than the OCD though.

Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look for a Visual Sound Open Road. It's a very warm, amplike
    OD. It's not transparent, but it's very pleasing to the ear.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One mention of Visual Sound which has turned into Truetone. You might look into their dual OD - the VO-XO. This pedal has a bass control. The left side is more open and with the gain down acts like a good booster. The right side has more gain compression. Both sides work very well together. Most of the youtube videos don't do this pedal justice.

Back to Fulltone.

Try running a Fulldrive 2 into the OCD.

The FD2 is a "Super TS'er" and the left side has a three position toggle switch which yanks the diodes out of the circuit [ Comp Cut ] , cuts the mids [ FM ] or gives the mids in the down position. The right side is a boost. So you can turn the left side into a booster and the use the right side booster.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.