Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Default Re: The Official April 2K18 SDUGF Modding Contest

Great, I like your guitar, your style!

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    I present to you “The Phoenix.”

For the record, even though she has a very unique finish, I didn’t perform that work so the only things I’ll talk about are the modifications I’ve actually made myself.

“The Phoenix” is a 1985 Westone Spectrum LX which I purchased used in 1987. The short story is that in 1995 I almost lost her in a house fire but couldn’t bring myself to throw her away. The finish was ruined, the electronics fried, and the hardware became corroded and unusable after being soaked by the firemen and then just sitting for years. In about 2004 a buddy refinished her and did his best to clean up the hardware. It became barely usable at that point, with only the bridge pickup working and the tremolo being squeaky and rough. He did a great job on the finish though and it was at that time that I named her “The Phoenix” after the mythical bird that rose from the ashes.

So here’s where MY modding begins.

It is so funny ! I just purchased a Westone just for a modding project, not started yet (but mine is a 1982 "Concord III").
    It is nice that you gave it this bird name, rising from the ashes...
    I gave a birdname as well to my new Westone : "The ugly little duck" as I expect it to become a Swan after pickup changes.

So what you think of the wood quality of thoses Spectrum ?

Westones from that era were made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan and are VERY solid instruments in terms of build and playability. That guitar is still the one by which I compare all others. Funny thing about it, though, is that it’s a maple body with a maple neck, and even has a JB in the bridge... and it’s STILL a relatively dark sounding guitar. I’m tempted to swap pickups again, but knowing that the JB has a reputation for being too bright I can’t help but wonder if there’s something about the wood (because of the fire?) that makes it sound dark no matter what.

I’ve never played a Concord, but I would love to get my hands on one. From what I’ve read it’s a very nice playing guitar and should make a great project for you. Make sure to post a thread about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    Westones from that era were made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan and are VERY solid instruments in terms of build and playability. That guitar is still the one by which I compare all others. Funny thing about it, though, is that it’s a maple body with a maple neck, and even has a JB in the bridge... and it’s STILL a relatively dark sounding guitar. I’m tempted to swap pickups again, but knowing that the JB has a reputation for being too bright I can’t help but wonder if there’s something about the wood (because of the fire?) that makes it sound dark no matter what.

I’ve never played a Concord, but I would love to get my hands on one. From what I’ve read it’s a very nice playing guitar and should make a great project for you. Make sure to post a thread about it!
    Yeah I was also wondering whether the fire would have affected the wood ?

I like the Matsumoku guitars. My first good guitar was built there so lately I did some research about that on the net. Their high end models are wonderful.
    Lately I met a guy here in France that has collected more than 70 (!!!) guitars from the Matsumoku factory (as there are not expensive).

For the Concord, at first sight I was not attracted but then I was surprised by its neck (one single piece of maple with rosewood fretboard) which reminds me the profile of a 1965 Fender Electric XII neck or Fender Custom/Maverick... Or also maybe a Jazzmaster but I haven't played one for years.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred