Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: School me on cabinets.

  1. #1
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default School me on cabinets.

    Hello all!

    Quick question: If I'm using an amp rated at 450w @ 8ohms, what wattage cabinet should I be looking for?

    Ideally, I'd like to find a 2x10 cab (for portability) that can stand up to the power of my amp.

    Thanks in advance!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Tone Slacker dave74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Illi-ana line road, USA
    Posts
    2,630
    Likes (Given)
    2073
    Likes (Received)
    1067

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    This a bass rig?

  3. #3
    Raging BB Gunologist some_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river.
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,313
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    545

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    Hello all!

    Quick question: If I'm using an amp rated at 450w @ 8ohms, what wattage cabinet should I be looking for?
    One that'll handle 450+ watts.

    You sure it's 450w into 8ohm and not 4 ohm?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

  4. #4
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    This a bass rig?
    Yessir!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  5. #5
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    This a bass rig?
    Yup. The head is a SWR 750X. According to SWR:

    425w @8ohms, 750w @4 ohms and 950w @2ohms
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Tone Slacker dave74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Illi-ana line road, USA
    Posts
    2,630
    Likes (Given)
    2073
    Likes (Received)
    1067

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    Yup. The head is a SWR 750X. According to SWR:

    425w @8ohms, 750w @4 ohms and 950w @2ohms

  7. #7
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Lol Very likely. I just want to be able to play this thing without having to lug around a 8x10 cab!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  8. #8
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    38
    Posts
    15,890
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    2175

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    That’s a lot of power for a 2x10”. What about a 4x10”? A used Fender, SWR or Hartke would work well.

    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgL_QPD_BwE
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  9. #9
    Li'l Junior Member MetalManiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Marked Side of the Dune
    Posts
    15,537
    Likes (Given)
    1847
    Likes (Received)
    2254

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    I'd go French Provencial if you have the resources .

    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

  10. #10
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    That’s a lot of power for a 2x10”. What about a 4x10”? A used Fender, SWR or Hartke would work well.

    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgL_QPD_BwE
    May have to go that route, tbh. I just wish there was a smaller solution than a 4x10.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  11. #11
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    I'd go French Provencial if you have the resources .

    Thass noice...
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

  12. #12
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,744
    Likes (Given)
    1940
    Likes (Received)
    921

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    If you're ok with DIY or a rather expensive pre-build cab, fEARful may be of interest to you. They're 2-way or 3-way boxes depending on whether you want a horn. They're also designed to allow the woofer to hit x-max, so the cabinet WILL NOT fart out no matter how much power / low end you hit it with. I found a 12/6 cube on craigslist here a few years ago and longcat has been using it with her SVT-3Pro ever since; that cabinet sounds a lot bigger than its size and it only weighs 35-40lbs. You'd be getting close to your power limits with a single 12, but the 15" version should handle that no problem. The only real downside is cost; you're looking at around $600 for a kit or $1100 for a pre-built box.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  13. #13
    25's Nemesis Benjy_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    12,454
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    106

    Default Re: School me on cabinets.

    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    If you're ok with DIY or a rather expensive pre-build cab, fEARful may be of interest to you. They're 2-way or 3-way boxes depending on whether you want a horn. They're also designed to allow the woofer to hit x-max, so the cabinet WILL NOT fart out no matter how much power / low end you hit it with. I found a 12/6 cube on craigslist here a few years ago and longcat has been using it with her SVT-3Pro ever since; that cabinet sounds a lot bigger than its size and it only weighs 35-40lbs. You'd be getting close to your power limits with a single 12, but the 15" version should handle that no problem. The only real downside is cost; you're looking at around $600 for a kit or $1100 for a pre-built box.
    That's awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •