Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Metal pickups

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Metal pickups

You want to add that bass later in the signal generally (EDIT: this is assuming that tightness is a goal. For early '90s kinds of downtuned death metal, where you need it to be a bit looser to get the right feel, none of this applies). Instead of going with a more bassy pickup, you'll be better off either turning down attack on that PD or turning bass up on your amp. The reason more bass can make your tone loose has nothing to do with the amount of bass frequencies on their own (bass amps produce more low frequencies than a guitar amp ever will and stay tighter in general...), but rather how bass interacts with your various gain stages. If you add the bass after a majority of your gain stages, you'll stay tighter than if you added a similar-sounding amount of bass before them.

Ultimate Tone Member dxlxntxxlxr's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    If you thought the D-Activator had no balls in the low end, avoid the Ragnarok bridge or the Nazgul.

I mostly play six strings in B standard tuning. Pegasus works great down in that tuning.

Another option that's been discontinued but you can find used on EBay or Reverb on the cheap is an old Carvin M22SD. Loads of beef, high output, good clarity.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ZWoUGOL1AGHv15 -- here's some comparisons a friend and I did through my Twin Jet with his Ibanez loaded with a Pegasus in the bridge and my Kiesel with an M22SD in the bridge. Sorry for some of the awful playing (his Ibby fell out of tune right after I started on the "channel 2" track and I didn't feel like restarting the recording; also, I was having a hard time finding the bridge for palm mutes since I'd never played that guitar before and it was sitting a bit weirdly on me), but it should at least get you a tonal idea. Full signal chain was guitar -> Ibanez TS9 -> Bogner Twin Jet -> Bogner Uberkab -> SM57, direct mic'd, at edge of dustcap.
    The nazgul has a ridiculously huge low end idk what ur talking about. and the ragnarok isnt the same level of thinness as the dactivator
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    Fractal Axe-FX II Mark II
    Harley Benton Vintage 30 212 Cab
    Ask me about: BKP: Juggernauts. Duncan: Custom, Custom Custom, Alpha/Omega, Blackout Set, 59, Nazgul, Distortions. DiMarzio: Titan Bridge, Tone Zone, Air Norton, Crunchlab/Liquifire, Illuminators, FRED, PAF Pro. EMG: 81/85, Het Set.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Metal pickups

Yeah I initially used a bass at 5 on my amp with a tight pickup and subtle bit of TS9 but it may it lifeless and thin while dialling a lot of bass on the amp and using a very tight signal going in seems to give it a little more focus in the low mids and general punch, if I was playing in Drop C all the time Iíd dial the bright down to 40% but at the moment I alternate between having it between 50-70% and tweaking the treble on my amp accordingly.
    At the moment Iím also really enjoying the
    Precision running at
    Volume: Max
    Attack: Max
    Bright: 50%
    Drive: Min
    When the Engl in 20 watt mode is running somewhat in the region of
    Gain:6
    Bass:7
    Mids:8
    Treble:7
    Presence:8
    Channel Volume:2
    Master volume:5
    Edit:tweaked the attack back slightly to 5 out of 6
    Last edited by 6stringerguy; 04-24-2018 at 02:22 AM.
    Gear:
    ENGL Ironball 20 Watt Head
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)
    Ormsby Hype GTR 6 (Custom slanted Bareknuckles PAF style Neck/ Hi Gain Bridge)
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega)
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Jeff Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge)
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups)
    Ibanez XPT700 (Dimarzio D-Activator set)
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

since you mentioned feared you might as well get a set of seymour duncan solar pickups, or a distortion mayhem set (which is what i think ola based them off)

anyway, for the whole death and thrash thing you don't want to sound like the guy next door, and what a lot of guys from those genres have done (ola englund inlcuded) is start trying to nail a tone you love to hell and once there tweak it to make it yours, that last part is what i'm currently trying to do with the dimebucker and the stupid amount of drive pedals i have.

btw, thrash metal and death metal is the territory where a tube screamer set as a boost into a marshall or peavey can be rather determiental if you can't stand out in the crowd of ts boosted marshalls and peaveys, also using a distortion pedal with some gain onto an already driven amp is totally good

Ultimate Tone Member dxlxntxxlxr's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Distortion set isnt great in terms of clarity, plus theyre crazy high output. Solar is based off a custom 5/59 set which is insanely scooped
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    Fractal Axe-FX II Mark II
    Harley Benton Vintage 30 212 Cab
    Ask me about: BKP: Juggernauts. Duncan: Custom, Custom Custom, Alpha/Omega, Blackout Set, 59, Nazgul, Distortions. DiMarzio: Titan Bridge, Tone Zone, Air Norton, Crunchlab/Liquifire, Illuminators, FRED, PAF Pro. EMG: 81/85, Het Set.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíll make clear of some pickups that I dislike, the d-activators are a little weak in my opinion, tweaking the pole piece height remedied that though, still a little weird in my opinion,just doesnít have enough punch.
    On the other side of the spectrum the invaders are a flubby mess in anything below drop D in my experience, d-activators sound a hell of a lot better in D than E for example.
    Alpha/Omega and the modern BareKnuckle tone are my main favourites at the moment
    Gear:
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't say the Dactivator is necessarily weak in the low-end, it just isn't overly thick or boomy like other modern high output bridge pickups can be. Its a clear, cutting, hot bridge pick up modeled after the 81, not a fat sounding sledgehammer type pickup.

Marshall JVM 210H w/ EL34s
    Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s
    Paul Reed Smith MT15 w/6L6s
    Krank Revolution1 412 w/ V30/Vet30
    Mesa Recto Trad 412 w/ V30
    Schecter Solo II ATX w/ EMG 85/81
    LTD 350 Horizon w/ EMG 57/66
    Fender HWY1 Strat w/ Dimarzio Air Zone
    LTD Viper 301 w/ SD Black Winter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

D-Activators aren't weak, but they are unforgiving of slop.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    D-Activators aren't weak, but they are unforgiving of slop.

I feel that theyíre great for things like thrash, but not much else in my opinion, love the neck pickup though.
    Iím not going to claim Iím a fantastic player, i am rather sloppy.
    Gear:
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If your chops are perfect, the D-Activator is great for technical stuff. I actually don't consider it great for thrash, it's too tight. I think that it as a huge low end, but not much low mids.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringerguy View Post
    I feel that they’re great for things like thrash, but not much else in my opinion, love the neck pickup though.
    I’m not going to claim I’m a fantastic player, i am rather sloppy.
    They excell at downtuned modern metal too. Lots of players like the 7string versions too because they handle the added low-end from the beefy strings and low tuning with ease. Lots of clarity, sharp attack, even leveled midrange and fast tracking.
    But I agree that they can sound and perform unfavorably in standard or half step down tunings. But it does shine once you tune lower to a whole step down, 1 & 1/2 steps down or use a 7 string.

Marshall JVM 210H w/ EL34s
    Peavey JSX 120 w/ 6L6s
    EVH 5150 III 50w w/ 6L6s
    Paul Reed Smith MT15 w/6L6s
    Krank Revolution1 412 w/ V30/Vet30
    Mesa Recto Trad 412 w/ V30
    Schecter Solo II ATX w/ EMG 85/81
    LTD 350 Horizon w/ EMG 57/66
    Fender HWY1 Strat w/ Dimarzio Air Zone
    LTD Viper 301 w/ SD Black Winter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
    They excell at downtuned modern metal too. Lots of players like the 7string versions too because they handle the added low-end from the beefy strings and low tuning with ease. Lots of clarity, sharp attack, even leveled midrange and fast tracking.
    But I agree that they can sound and perform unfavorably in standard or half step down tunings. But it does shine once you tune lower to a whole step down, 1 & 1/2 steps down or use a 7 string.
    If you say itís good for the low tunings I may replace with a X2N and use it for the Drop B guitar.
    Gear:
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

also you could go with something unorthodox like a pearly gates or whole lotta set and just crank some extra boost, i'm a defender of high output pickups but those 2 sets are really some of the very few low output vintage toned pickups that sound brutal for metal