Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Metal pickups

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Metal pickups

Quote Originally Posted by dxlxntxxlxr View Post
    go ragnaroks. Just cause even the highest output bare knuckles tend to be super clear, super versatile, and have that airy top end that cuts without being super bright.
    Fair enough, every play-through Iíve seen of them has sounded awesome theyíre pretty pricey but I know they are worth the cost.
    Ragnaroks are what Iíll go for if the blackout doesnít work well.
    Gear:
    ENGL Ironball 20 Watt Head
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)
    Ormsby Hype GTR 6 (Custom slanted Bareknuckles PAF style Neck/ Hi Gain Bridge)
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega)
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Jeff Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge)
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups)
    Ibanez XPT700 (Dimarzio D-Activator set)
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

go ragnaroks. Just cause even the highest output bare knuckles tend to be super clear, super versatile, and have that airy top end that cuts without being super bright.
    I had no idea that Bare Knuckle Pickups were so good, usually high output starts to get muddy with most manufacturers. Now I am wanting to try a set of theirs!

Ultimate Tone Member dxlxntxxlxr's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 6stringerguy View Post
    Fair enough, every play-through Iíve seen of them has sounded awesome theyíre pretty pricey but I know they are worth the cost.
    Ragnaroks are what Iíll go for if the blackout doesnít work well.
    blackouts r decent when it comes to actives. They kinda sound like an invader but less boomy and clearer. Crazy high output, not as tight as emgs, but also not as dry and ****ty as emgs. If ur gonna go active with super low tunings (lower than drop c), id avoid blackouts
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR (Duncan Custom B/DD Distortion N)
    Ibanez RGT42FXQM Mystic Sea Green Burst (BKP Juggernauts)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    Laney Ironheart Studio
    Joyo banTamP zoMBie
    Harley Benton Vintage 30 212 Cab
    Ask me about: Duncan: Custom, Custom Custom, Alpha/Omega, Blackout Set, 59, Nazgul, Distortions. DiMarzio: Titan Bridge, Tone Zone, Air Norton, Crunchlab/Liquifire, Illuminators, FRED, PAF Pro. BKP: Juggernauts. EMG: 81/85, Het Set.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

blackouts r decent when it comes to actives. They kinda sound like an invader but less boomy and clearer. Crazy high output, not as tight as emgs, but also not as dry and ****ty as emgs. If ur gonna go active with super low tunings (lower than drop c), id avoid blackouts
    Agreed with everything but “****y EMG’s”
    -Mike-

Quote Originally Posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks to this thread now i know that i want the black winters for my jackson js22-7

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Balck Winters are remarkable for many different tunings and gain levels.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SrDeMaFp View Post
    Agreed with everything but ď****y EMGísĒ
    I recently pulled the Blackouts out of my LP in favor of EMG 81/85 set. The Blackouts weren't as clear, and had a more blunt attack. They were also too hot, and I like hot pickups. They also added extra lows, which I don't need and likely contributed to their more blunt attack. My guitar, amp and cabinet already sound fat, I don't need it from my pickup too. I like EMGs much more, but I'm sure Blackouts would sound better in the right guitar though.

Marshall JVM 210H
    Peavey JSX 120
    EVH 5150 III 50w
    Krank Revolution1 412
    Mesa Recto Traditional 412
    Schecter Blackjack Solo w/ EMG 81/85
    LTD 350 Horizon w/ EMG 57/66
    Fender HWY1 Strat w/ Dimarzio Air Zone
    LTD Viper 301 w/ SD Black Winter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: the topic of "Pegasus vs. Nazgul for brutal death/thrash/black metal", I'd go Pegasus over Nazgul for oldschool downtuned death metal any day. The Nazgul is all top-end grind, no bottom-end chunk. The Pegasus has the body you need for the early-to-mid '90s sounds.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i would go with a dimebucker on the bridge and a pearly gates bridge on the neck slot, i do play thrash and death, specially SODOM and Death, but i also love the texas spice on my chainsaw, so for people less attached to such tone and with your guitar specks i would narrow down reccomendations

bridge pickups worth looking at are:
    Lace Deathbucker, Duncan Distortion, Railhammer Anvil, Duncan Black Winters, DiMarzio Dactivator, Lundgren M6, DiMarzio Dactivator, duncan parallel axis distortion

neck:
    Duncan Jazz, Duncan 59, Duncan Pearly Gates (the bridge model is raunchy and bright, the neck model is sweet and deep), BareKnuckle Riff Raff, Wilde L90 (2.8H inductance), railhammer cleancut (it's a split p90 and it's full humless), Lundgren heaven 57, lundgren black heaven, Duncna parallel axis original neck

active pickups you can go get a set from any of the main guitarists of the big 4 (except scott, he uses passive pickups) mustaine, hetfield, king (his set is just a normal emg set with a booster but still a sig set...)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EDX View Post
    i would go with a dimebucker on the bridge and a pearly gates bridge on the neck slot, i do play thrash and death, specially SODOM and Death, but i also love the texas spice on my chainsaw, so for people less attached to such tone and with your guitar specks i would narrow down reccomendations

bridge pickups worth looking at are:
    Lace Deathbucker, Duncan Distortion, Railhammer Anvil, Duncan Black Winters, DiMarzio Dactivator, Lundgren M6, DiMarzio Dactivator, duncan parallel axis distortion

neck:
    Duncan Jazz, Duncan 59, Duncan Pearly Gates (the bridge model is raunchy and bright, the neck model is sweet and deep), BareKnuckle Riff Raff, Wilde L90 (2.8H inductance), railhammer cleancut (it's a split p90 and it's full humless), Lundgren heaven 57, lundgren black heaven, Duncna parallel axis original neck

active pickups you can go get a set from any of the main guitarists of the big 4 (except scott, he uses passive pickups) mustaine, hetfield, king (his set is just a normal emg set with a booster but still a sig set...)
    Out of the bridge pups you mentioned Iíve only had extended play with the dactivors and hated them to be honest, never tuned them lower than d standard though, never had an balls or low end.
    The only bridge pups you mention Iím interested in is the black winters and the lundgrens, the Pegasus/sentient set looks rad as does the BareKnuckle Ragnaroks set just hoping someone whose had experience with this pups in the drop C, C standard and Drop B range chimes in a letís me know.
    Gear:
    ENGL Ironball 20 Watt Head
    Zilla 2x12 (V30 w K100)
    Ormsby Hype GTR 6 (Custom slanted Bareknuckles PAF style Neck/ Hi Gain Bridge)
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega)
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Jeff Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge)
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups)
    Ibanez XPT700 (Dimarzio D-Activator set)
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set)