Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laney Cub 10 speaker for Marshall sound.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Laney Cub 10 speaker for Marshall sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mxaniac View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me what affect 1 change can make. I pulled out V1 (Ruby) and put in an old suspect Mangavox branded 12AX7. I say suspect because I had an issue with my Guild and replacing it helped. Anyway with the tube swap even though the Laney might be "dark" it still has clarity, it isn't muddy. Even with the old Super Distortions which aren't exactly the brightest pup in the world it didn't loose all the clarity at high gain. Big improvement, I didn't really expect 1 tube to make that much difference.
    If you think about it, while understandable, it's a bit like saying I didn't expect the choice of beef or freshness of the vegetables or the mix of seasoning to make such a difference in the taste of the meal. Then it goes to another level when you pay a qualified experienced chef to prepare it for you. Music is like that also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a Legend 1058 in my Cub 10 for a while. It sounded nice, although I can't recall specifics on the nature you are seeking. I now have a new Jensen C10 something that came out of a Fender PRRI.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thebowl View Post
    I had a Legend 1058 in my Cub 10 for a while. It sounded nice, although I can't recall specifics on the nature you are seeking. I now have a new Jensen C10 something that came out of a Fender PRRI.
    A friend is going to loan me a 1058 to try. Do you like the C10 better? From all their sound bites I liked the jensen tornado the best. I liked the falcon the least.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    If you think about it, while understandable, it's a bit like saying I didn't expect the choice of beef or freshness of the vegetables or the mix of seasoning to make such a difference in the taste of the meal. Then it goes to another level when you pay a qualified experienced chef to prepare it for you. Music is like that also.
    Unlike speakers and pickups, tubes were intended to be made to specs and fully interchangeable though. I get your point and every manufacturer claims they have a better product, Energizer vs Duracell, GE vs Sylvania, Champion vs Autolite etc etc but electronics components made to an industry standard specification don't typically have that kind of variability my simple and untrained ears would pickup on.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that may be true but try a set of rca 6l6gc vs ge 6l6gc and youll hear a difference, at least i do

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend is going to loan me a 1058 to try. Do you like the C10 better? From all their sound bites I liked the jensen tornado the best. I liked the falcon the least.
    Well, I left the C10 in, and would up cannibalizing the Legend (long story). I use that amp several times a week. They both sounded nice. The Legend will generate some additional loudness. I think the Legend is a better speaker, although I also think the Italian Jensen's get a bad rap from a lot of people. Broken in, they are nice speakers for what they intend to be.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thebowl View Post
    Well, I left the C10 in, and would up cannibalizing the Legend (long story). I use that amp several times a week. They both sounded nice. The Legend will generate some additional loudness. I think the Legend is a better speaker, although I also think the Italian Jensen's get a bad rap from a lot of people. Broken in, they are nice speakers for what they intend to be.
    Well originally I was considering the MOD 10-70 which is an Italian Jensen. I have the 10-50 in my single EL84 amp and like it.

I put the 1058 in, it's more different with some guitars than others. As an example one of my guitars has a Custom Custom in the bridge and it sounded awful through the stock speaker, especially with the Crosley tubes. Too fat, perhaps too much midrange. On the other hand with a LP with the original DP103 it sounded pretty damn good. So now with the Legend 1058 the Custom Custom is much much better. I suspect the 1058 puts out less in the mids than the stock HH speaker. The DP103 on the other hand doesn't sound that much different, a tad brighter perhaps but not as much of a difference. Super Distortions have better clarity now too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Laney Cub 10 speaker for Marshall sound.

Well originally I was considering the MOD 10-70 which is an Italian Jensen. I have the 10-50 in my single EL84 amp and like it.

I put the 1058 in, it's more different with some guitars than others. As an example one of my guitars has a Custom Custom in the bridge and it sounded awful through the stock speaker, especially with the Crosley tubes. Too fat, perhaps too much midrange. On the other hand with a LP with the original DP103 it sounded pretty damn good. So now with the Legend 1058 the Custom Custom is much much better. I suspect the 1058 puts out less in the mids than the stock HH speaker. The DP103 on the other hand doesn't sound that much different, a tad brighter perhaps but not as much of a difference. Super Distortions have better clarity now too.
    How did you end up with a 1058? Isn't that vintage American sound? IIRC

Didn't you want a Marshall tone?

This is what happens when I leave a thread unnatended. Lol

To your general observation, yes, when you tweak a piece of the chain it sometimes makes you rethink the rest. The custom family is great for mag swaps. You may just need to put an A5 in the custom custom if you keep the speaker.
    Last edited by Blille; 06-15-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    How did you end up with a 1058? Isn't that vintage American sound? IIRC

Didn't you want a Marshall tone?

This is what happens when I leave a thread unnatended. Lol

To your general observation, yes, when you tweak a piece of the chain it sometimes makes you rethink the rest. The custom family is great for mag swaps. You may just need to put an A5 in the custom custom if you keep the speaker.
    Yeah I was looking for some Marshall crunch. With the 1058 it sounds better than the stock speaker. It doesn't sound like a Fender and it doesn't sound like a Vox. I'm not much of a player but I can get it to sound more like what I wanted now as is, Highway to Hell sounds more like AC/DC than any of my other amps so I suppose from here I should actually practice playing and quit screwing around with gear.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stock speaker is definitely the weak link in that amp, which is otherwise quite a bargain, IMO. And I think its British-designed circuits show their heritage. Good luck with it.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a followup based on the help from someone on freestompboxes I swapped capacitor C7 out for a 470 pF 100V thru hole capacitor and I like the amp is much better, meaning I don't just leave the tone control pegged on 10 for all guitars, all the time, anymore.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Transplant into donor or DIY 1x12 combo enclosure or cut it down to a head and buy/build a 1x12 cab with whatever UK Celestion it gets along with

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Transplant into donor or DIY 1x12 combo enclosure or cut it down to a head and buy/build a 1x12 cab with whatever UK Celestion it gets along with
    I already have a 1x8, this 1x10, and a 1x15 so OBVIOUSLY what I NEED is another amp, a 1 x 12 right?