Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Boss Ns-2 is a good idea?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Buying a Boss Ns-2 is a good idea?

I'm just using the noise gates of the ampsims BUT, this things cuts a lot of sustain and doesn't really get rid of all the noise, if i buy this pedal to connect it before my focusrite it will give better sustain with less noise?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Buying a Boss Ns-2 is a good idea?

Whatís your whole effects chain?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out Rocktron Hush. I have thread about mine below yours here.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Noise can be a problem with improper gain staging, or proximity to transformers or some types of monitors or lighting. I tend to avoid noise gates because they seem to always be a compromise. I try to eliminate the source of the noise.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Noise can be a problem with improper gain staging, or proximity to transformers or some types of monitors or lighting. I tend to avoid noise gates because they seem to always be a compromise. I try to eliminate the source of the noise.
    I agree. I avoided them, but just got enough of how noisy EHX pedals I'm using are.

In the end, that Rocktron turned out to be not an issue at all tonewise. It's not traditional noise gate, and my rig just sounds better with it on, though I can't or test say how much of that is because of the lack of noise.

I tried ISP Decimator and it was pretty much useless despite the hype.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree about the Decimator being way overhyped. I don't think it's useless. In my opinion, it does work, but then again, it's just a noise gate. There's nothing special about it. I don't think 100% transparent either. While the NS-2 seems to make everything a bit darker and fatter, the Decimator kinda makes everything very slightly brighter. If you have it in the chain, and it's turned off, everything's noisier than with it out of the chain too.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-08-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my effect chain is just amplitube 4, LOL

that rocktron is too expensive for me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I agree about the Decimator being way overhyped. I don't think it's useless. In my opinion, it does work, but then again, it's just a noise gate. There's nothing special about it. I don't think 100% transparent either. While the NS-2 seems to make everything a bit darker and fatter, the Decimator kinda makes everything very slightly brighter. If you have it in the chain, and it's turned off, everything's noisier than with it out of the chain too.
    My findings too.
    I sold my ISP a couple years back and don't miss it at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reigner View Post

that rocktron is too expensive for me
    Lol

So a gate will just cut off when there is no sound. Thatís great for moderate hiss. Do you have more of 60hz hum? Maybe what you need is an EHX Hum debugger.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would go with the ISP Decimator II G string. I've tried a lot of noise reducers and the pedal, and more so, the rack unit are the best by far. They don't color your tone at all, do exactly what you need, and address noise in front of the amp (from overdrive, distortion, etc.) and in the loop. (For high gain preamp noise) Well worth the money and extra cables.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

then keep things simple. Plug straight in and sort out the hum later when you are mixing.
    Also, try not to sit too close to your computer.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it's aimed more at the noisy high gain setups. In my setup I had to keep the level so low it didn't do nothing in order to maintain reasonable sustain.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I agree. I avoided them, but just got enough of how noisy EHX pedals I'm using are.

In the end, that Rocktron turned out to be not an issue at all tonewise. It's not traditional noise gate, and my rig just sounds better with it on, though I can't or test say how much of that is because of the lack of noise.

I tried ISP Decimator and it was pretty much useless despite the hype.
    Which version did you use?
    The G-String version is hands down the best pedal based gate on the market.
    If you used the regular version, it doesnít have the same feature set.
    The g-string tracks both in front of the amp for guitar signal noise and the Fx loop for preamp noise.
    Itís dead simple to operate. One knob. I typically have the knob set to about 10:30-ish. Works perfect.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Which version did you use?
    The G-String version is hands down the best pedal based gate on the market.
    If you used the regular version, it doesnít have the same feature set.
    The g-string tracks both in front of the amp for guitar signal noise and the Fx loop for preamp noise.
    Itís dead simple to operate. One knob. I typically have the knob set to about 10:30-ish. Works perfect.
    ISP Decimator II. Aside normal in and out jacks, it has two 3,5mm jacks that say link in and out? I have no idea what they are for.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    ISP Decimator II. Aside normal in and out jacks, it has two 3,5mm jacks that say link in and out? I have no idea what they are for.
    Iím not sure what the 3.5mm jacks are?
    But I can tell you for sure that the G-String is far superior. And far more expensive but IMO worth it.
    I had an issue with one of my input jacks. And of course it was out of warrantee as it was an older unit. I contacted ISP and they fixed it for me...not for free but it was only about $35. But I asked them to replace all 4 jacks and completely check the unit out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the standard Decimator 1 (non-G-string) pedal. Don't get me wrong, I use it, and it works. I simply don't find it to be the be all end all some people describe it as. JMO.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-12-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Buying a Boss Ns-2 is a good idea?

I have the standard Decimator 1 (non-G-string) pedal. Don't get me wrong, I use it, and it works. I simply don't find it to be the be all end all some people describe it as. JMO.
    Iím saying that the G-String version is the one to get. The prior versions are one trick ponies. Itís either in the loop or out front...the G-String is capable of both as is the NS-2.

I have 2 NS-2 units and they work great too. I just find that the ISP has a softer gate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it is chopping notes off I would play the input levels of your interface and with the settings and placement of the noise gate in Amplitube. Not sure putting a hardware gate in front will be any better than using the one in Amplitube. I haven't used Amplitube in years, but you might see if you can set the "sense" to the input and have the gate after the amp, like you would with a NS or a G-string.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never had any issues with my old original version Decimator. I used it with a Rectifier, 5150 II, Marshall DSL, and Fender Hot Rod and it did exactly what it was supposed to do; cut noise and not get in the way. I don't play without it on anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I’m saying that the G-String version is the one to get. The prior versions are one trick ponies. It’s either in the loop or out front...the G-String is capable of both as is the NS-2.

I have 2 NS-2 units and they work great too. I just find that the ISP has a softer gate.
    Does the G-string has actually two gates or is the loop for front of the amp only for picking up the signal (as I've understood)?

The Hush X2 I have does have two gates so I could use it to gate both, but having it at minimum setting before the fx loop return already cuts out all the noise perfectly well, so I haven't got a need for that.

I read about it and the 3.5 mm jacks are for linking two decimators together, so one in the loop and one in front work together in some way...