Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Was thinking of buying a Les Paul Gibson but... they only sell the new models?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Was thinking of buying a Les Paul Gibson but... they only sell the new models?

I hate to come in here and be tarred as a Gibson defender, given the problems I have with the company on so many levels, but I have to say I've never had a problem with Gibson's fretwork (nuts, on the other hand...).

I've got four Gibsons, ranging from 1992-2010, and the only fret issue I've had was a high fret on one, but that could have been attributable to climate change/popping up a bit. It was like the 19th or 20th fret on an otherwise well-levelled and polished fretboard.

I'd probably join in with saying to play before you buy, but I feel that way about all guitars, not just Gibsons.

Default Re: Was thinking of buying a Les Paul Gibson but... they only sell the new models?

Quote Originally Posted by jmh151 View Post
    I also recently bought a 2015 Les Paul Standard SR.

What compelled me to buy a new Les Paul when I already have one? The 2015 was built sooooo much better and stays in tune much better than the 1986, the fret work is as good as my PRS and feels like a Mercedes or Rolex compared to older Les Pauls I've played in stores
    Glad to hear someone else likes the 2015 Les Paul. I bought three 2015's last year (Less Plus, Traditional, Special) because all three were amazing. They sound great and play well. I think a ton of people never gave the 2015's a shot because Gibson changed the specs, such as the wider fretboard/neck. Once you play one, you realize that the change is actually very beneficial and easy to adapt to. I don't get why there was all the hate without people clearly playing them. Gibson had the balls to change stuff and from a player's standpoint, it landed well. Too bad nobody bought them. I think the final setup at the factory also improved dramatically in 2015.