Thread: Slash set, ESP EC-II question

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Slash set, ESP EC-II question

Hello! As the title states, I have an ESP EC-II and have a question about the Slash set. Basically, will they fit? The long legs are what concerns me. The EC-II is an LP-style guitar, but it has a thinner body, and I don't know if the rout is deep enough to accommodate the long legs on the Slash set. I will not modify the guitar though, so if they don't fit, and have the ability for normal adjustment, no dice. That said, I'm not totally set on the Slash set; I wouldn't exactly be upset about just using the regular Alnico II Pro set in that guitar. It currently has the stock EMG 81/60 set, and I'm looking to go passive. I know I'll have to replace pretty much all of the electronics except for the switch (they're older EMGs that don't have the solderless setup, so it's a normal switch), any recommendations on pots and caps?

The EMGs don't sound terrible, but they just don't have the richness that I like, and, being active pickups, my fuzz pedals hate them. Thanks for any advice!

Joe

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Slash set, ESP EC-II question

The long-legged Slash set fit in my old PRS SE Singlecut (thin body too) and in my Ibanez RG570 fine. If you're in doubt, you can order them with short legs as Custom Floor models off a Duncan dealer. I'm 99.9% sure the standard long-legged set would fit your guitar, though. The only issue I've had with long-legged humbuckers is with shallow direct-mount routes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m sure someone here would be able to measure the depth of a long leg humbucker for you. Next time you change strings, pull one of the EMGs and measure what depth you have available.

On an unrelated note, how do you like that guitar?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"The long-legged Slash set fit in my old PRS SE Singlecut (thin body too) and in my Ibanez RG570 fine. If you're in doubt, you can order them with short legs as Custom Floor models off a Duncan dealer. I'm 99.9% sure the standard long-legged set would fit your guitar, though. The only issue I've had with long-legged humbuckers is with shallow direct-mount routes."

Thanks! I had a feeling it wouldn't be a problem, but finding accurate dimensions on things like this are near impossible for most guitars!

"I’m sure someone here would be able to measure the depth of a long leg humbucker for you. Next time you change strings, pull one of the EMGs and measure what depth you have available.

On an unrelated note, how do you like that guitar?"

Sadly, I don't have any tools for making those kinds of measurements, not with any real precision anyway. The guitar is very nice! It plays well and is gorgeous to look at. It's just the sound that never really did it for me. I bought the guitar online, pretty much expecting to swap out the pickups. Life got in the way, and I didn't have the time to play as much as I used to, so the swap never happened. After several years, I'm trying to work guitar back into my schedule and thought finally getting around to making that swap might add some motivation!
    Last edited by cobaltoctober; 06-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.