Thread: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Default Re: stripping a 1981 gibson flying v

Might sound obvious but cut a piece of cardboard out the shape of the body

Hit it with silver and then practice your burst on there til you nail it

You're doing a great job so far

Mojo's Minions

???A template??

Bursts are all done freehand, the problem is probably the can....in that they are aimed at coverage, not a nice gradual spray with small particles on the edge of the spray pattern

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8j3CFz70I

And this one from about 14mins in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaIx2r0kDA
    Last edited by AlexR; 06-03-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Might sound obvious but cut a piece of cardboard out the shape of the body

Hit it with silver and then practice your burst on there til you nail it

You're doing a great job so far
    Yea, that's what I'm talking about. The examples I saw looked a bit too much like a hard line but after my last attempt I'd prefer that to a super splattery job like I did

Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    ???A template??

Bursts are all done freehand, the problem is probably the can....in that they are aimed at coverage, not a nice gradual spray with small particles on the edge of the spray pattern

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8j3CFz70I

And this one from about 14mins in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaIx2r0kDA
    yea, totally get it. Just not going to invest in an airbrush

Finally got some silver back on this thing and I am going to attempt the burst w/ a template this weekend. Pray for me.

I have also been distracted w/ this other project that is nearing completion and looking mighty fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	99868

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

Oh, man - I LOVE that thing! That pickguard is PERFECT for that axe!

They have those inexpensive airbrush kits that hobby shops sell. Just a small cheezy unit for $15. or so, and you buy an aerosol propellant can. the caveat is how model paint might respond with whatever clear coat you're using.

the template is giving me some good results but still having a couple issues.

Using some taped up stacks of pennies to support the template. I'm getting a dusting of black paint across the body and the stacks of pennies are leaving little circles once removed. I think I can get past this by supporting the template in a different way. On the front I can just use wood in the pickup cavity to keep it up. The back I'll have to figure out.

I also need my black burst to be a bit thicker. Could prob kill 2 birds with one stone if I just cut the template down a bit more and committed to only spraying the paint on at a 45 degree angle. Kinda gets too fuzzy if you do that tho. Here is what I did today but will go over w/ silver and take another pass. Not bad but getting there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	100010

I can't be sure, but I think you are spraying straight at the body, correct? When using a template, I always got good results by shooting from the center of the guitar body out over the edge of the template to hold down overspray. About a quarter inch off the body should work for you. Keep at it, and the axe will be *****in.

ya that's basically what I was saying. I need to do 45 degrees so it doesn't kind of mist under the template. Almost there. At least I'm on a path that is getting better. Freehanding was nuts.

update--attempt #2. I was able to get rid of the ghost circles from the previous time but the template jumped when spraying and it's a mess.

Going back in for #3 soon. This is fun.

You're learning....

I am! I'm fine with it. That was the whole intent in taking on a project like this that had been gutted & tweaked so many times.

I do think I am a bit overly critical of my own work so far. I keep wanting the burst to look perfect but layering on clear and then sanding & buffing I think it will all look good in the end. I've gone thru and examined a lot of pics of silverbursts from the same era and they are for sure not perfect.

Keep on rocking. It will be awesome.

Maybe you'll realize at some point that the small investment in a sprayer is REALLY worth the cost. No need for templates (free-hand spraying). No starting over many times. No hard-edged bursts...much better looking results.

Pretty good videos posted by AlexR.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

There's a learning curve with templates or not... And he's having fun.

I don't own a real spray gun, but I would have just done that burst freehanded with a hobby airbrush (after lots of test runs on scrap). I wouldn't finish a whole guitar with one, but for a burst, especially a simple two-tone one so close to the edges, it'd work fine. Rattle can bursts are extremely hard to get looking decent. An airbrush would allow you such excellent control.

I have a Paasche V and a Paasche H. The V is dual action, and that's great for things on which you need to be able to very smoothly change your spray pattern as you are spraying. But for this purpose, something single action like the H would be preferable IMO. For this purpose, you want to pick a spray pattern and have it fixed, not worry about accidentally changing the spray pattern as you press the spray button (which is very easy to do on the dual action V). I believe there are also gravity feed models as well, which would probably be preferable for painting bursts. I just don't know the model names off hand.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-01-2019 at 02:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

No problem with learning or having fun. But it's also very satisfying to create a great looking finished product WHILE you are learning and having fun. Every time you look at your guitar for years to come you will either be happy and feel very proud of what you accomplished, or you will regret that you didn't do a little more to make it better. It's night and day. That's a choice that you make during the creation process...long before you see your completed guitar standing next to your amp begging to be played.

It only INCREASES the fun and decreases the frustrations to do the job well.

A suitable air brush can be had for the cost of a movie, popcorn and drink. Yet, unlike a movie, the enjoyment lasts long past the completion of it's first paint job. And yet you still have it available to do the next job. It's an investment in happiness, not an expense of painting a guitar.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Okay, I'll buy that. I have a single action Miller I bought for $19 (with the compressor) at K-Mart back in the late 70's. Made a lot of money with it in the last 40 years, so yeah - good investment. Made a lot of people happy with it, too.

I still have a few cans of paint left so I have no issue just trying until I get it right w/ the materials I have. This is only my 3rd refinishing project and first attempt at a burst so it's not like I'm looking to start my own shop in my garage.

That said, if you have some great videos or advice on what I'd need to get a spray gun setup I'd love to hear it. High fives.