Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boss WL-20 Wireless Units Review

Default Re: Boss WL-20 Wireless Units Review

Yeah, I do to...until I put it away last night because it looked like it was going to rain, so all non-essential gear was stored away.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I have a version of whatever Line 6 bought to make the Relay Series. XDS or something. It was on clearance because the Line 6 buyout was in the process of happening, and it's always been fantastic. I go through a 9-volt battery once a month or so just based on home use, really. It's nice to be able to hear the amp from somewhere other than up close.

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    I have a version of whatever Line 6 bought to make the Relay Series. XDS or something. It was on clearance because the Line 6 buyout was in the process of happening, and it's always been fantastic. I go through a 9-volt battery once a month or so just based on home use, really. It's nice to be able to hear the amp from somewhere other than up close.
    I had one of those XDS wireless systems. Great unit. Sold it after I left my last band and wasn't doing anything. I may get another one, possibly the Relay G30 or G50.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Dave, I think I know what you did...

I just charged my unit Saturday morning. Then I played in NPR for ~ 1/2 hour. Then I came home. Today I played at practice for 2 hrs. Charge held just fine.

However....one time I charged it up and had my kid bring it to a gig. So left at say ~3p, went on at 7p. Unit died right at the end of set 1 - maybe 8p. 5 hours later ????

Here is the difference: When I took it to the gig - I left plugged in. This week, they were separated and not plugged into anything. I think when they are connected they are signaling and humming away, instead of when no signal is happening. Just a theory....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Maybe... I think I charged it full like 2 weeks before the next gig, and then it only lasted about 45 min. I may have had it set up for an hour before that, so a total of an hour and 45. Now, I have charged it the night before a gig to full, and it lasted all night at the 4 hour show, including the set up time. So I just have to check the night before.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Another show down - probably 5 full hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Default Boss WL-20 Wireless Units Review

Iíve been using the Shure pedalboard mounted wireless with the built in tuner. (I donít remember the model) but that thing holds a charge for weeks.
    I use it about 4 hrs per week between band rehearsal and general playing/practice time.
    I played a gig yesterday with it and started with a full charge. At the end of the gig it was only 1 bar lower than full. It was on for about 5 hours straight.

While I am loving the WL-20, and it performed flawlessly at this week's show, its rating of 50' is generous. I played on a very big stage, and during sound check I walked around in front of the stage. I am getting around 30-40' line-of-sight. Usually not an issue at all, but something to keep in mind.

Tone Member

I know it's a zombie thread but I'm looking for a wireless and trying do decide between those.

1- Line6 G10S (new)
    Pros: rechargeable in the pedal, automatic pairing, 1/4" out and XLR out, 130' of range, 9v and USB powered, dongle transmitter so easy to swap between guitars/basses
    Cons: dongle transmitter sticking out of side mounted guitar jacks, limited lifespan as no replacement batteries for transmitter, most expansive of the 3

2- Boss WL-50
    Pros: rechargeable in the pedal, automatic pairing, input for a cable for emergencies, 9v and AA battery powered, dongle transmitter so easy to swap between guitars/basses, can get a WL-20 receiver for direct to FOH so it covers a lot of situation, affordable
    Cons: dongle transmitter sticking out of side mounted guitar jacks, limited lifespan as no replacement batteries for transmitter, only 65' of range

3- Line6 G30
    Pros: transmitter using AA batteries, 1/4" input on transmitter, longer lifespan as no built-in rechargeable batteries, small transmitter clipping on strap, 100' range, affordable
    Cons: bad reputation for broken battery door, have to recharge AA batteries, longer to swap between guitars/basses, only 9v powered

I play mainly at home, jamming with friends and 2-3 gigs a year. Your recommandations?