Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Default Re: 2019 Gibson Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Well sure. Get a quality instrument, then mod the hell out of it if ya like.

But we don't need "huge innovation" crap like Gibson's Firebird X, for instance.
    I completely agree. I was referring to strictly about switching between simple passive circuits.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

forget the push/pulls and mini dips...
    typically only one pickup is used at a time...rather than two or three pickups hard mounted to the guitar, why not have one really, really good pickup mounted on a track...it could be moved to the precise location for optimal tone...upgrade possibilities could include easy swap track mount pickups...just in case the really, really good pickup needs to be a different shade of really, really good...
    Gibson is obviously looking for wacky innovation...that is my contribution to the cause...
    Last edited by justFred; 09-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justFred View Post
    forget the push/pulls and mini toggles...
    typically only one pickup is used at a time...rather than two or three pickups hard mounted to the guitar, why not have one really, really good pickup mounted on a track...it could be moved to the precise location for optimal tone...upgrade possibilities could include easy swap track mount pickups...just in case the really, really good pickup needs to be a different shade of really, really good...
    Gibson is obviously looking for wacky innovation...that is my contribution to the cause...
    I vaguely remember somebody inventing this. Possibly in the late 80ís early 90ís. Iirc, it never caught on. Something tells me George Lynch was involved...?

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I vaguely remember somebody inventing this. Possibly in the late 80ís early 90ís. Iirc, it never caught on. Something tells me George Lynch was involved...?
    As far as I remember The Westone rail bass had a sliding pickup, not removable though.
    It was a headless Steinberger-esque 24 fretter.
    It was said to be a decent instrument but did not catch on.

Tone Member

I had a look at some of the LP models in a local store and walked away disappointed.
    They had about 8 different flame top LPs.
    One had a rather poor match on its top despite its £3500 asking price and another had a small knot in its grain on the lower half and not on its upper half.
    There was a great looking black SG with small scratchplate and trapezoid inlays there that I liked.
    To be honest I would sooner go for a bespoke Gordon Smith single cut over a Gibson any day of the week, a very comparable guitar with your own choice of woods/fittings/neck and body thickness plus a substantial saving.

Quote Originally Posted by evan47 View Post
    As far as I remember The Westone rail bass had a sliding pickup, not removable though.
    It was a headless Steinberger-esque 24 fretter.
    It was said to be a decent instrument but did not catch on.
    I just googled it and saw the guitars you were talking about.
    Seems there are a small number of other makers still mailing them as well.
    I couldnít find any reference linking Lynch to this idea...apparently I was mistaken about that.

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

There were several other makers with sliding pickups.... The Gibson Grabber bass had a sliding pickup. So did Washburn, Riverhead, and even a few Dan Armstrongs. As for guitars with sliding pickups... Early Ibanez Bob Weir models had a sliding middle pickup (H-S-H configuration). Had to be a few others, but I don't instantly recall them. Of course, the Rick Turner guitar has a pickup you turn.... Not the same thing.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar

$2000 for an ES-335 Studio. Allrightythen.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    That's the suggested retail price, not the actual price. What you end up paying can be anywhere from three quarters to half of that, depending on how good you are at breaking the salesman down.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Default 2019 Gibson Lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    That's the suggested retail price, not the actual price. What you end up paying can be anywhere from three quarters to half of that, depending on how good you are at breaking the salesman down.
    Iím afraid MSRP is actually $2,821.
    $1,999 is street price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-vintage-burst

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    I’m afraid MSRP is actually $2,821.
    $1,999 is street price.

That is pretty bad then, but I guess it's a step in the right direction anyway, it's definitely a bit overpriced, but it appears fairly well equipped for a Studio (quartersawn neck, brass plated saddles, and the examples I have seen have had decent tops).
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    That is pretty bad then, but I guess it's a step in the right direction anyway, it's definitely a bit overpriced, but it appears fairly well equipped for a Studio (quartersawn neck, brass plated saddles, and the examples I have seen have had decent tops).
    It is a nice guitar, and your previous point of being able to get a discount stands, just not as much.

Ben1962

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    I tend to agree. Gibson (and to a lesser extent Fender) are both inundated with the same old things theyíve been making for 50-60 years. Thereís no need to get rid of the old, but neither has innovated anything in years. The robo-tuners, for instance, are a great idea. Maybe Gibsonís die-hard ďfansĒ should pull their heads out and stop whining about everything. Thereís no reason in the world that a company like theirs couldnít offer products for the traditionalists AND the people looking for something new and exciting.

Technology has progressed... what possible reason could someone WANT outdated systems except to corksniff?
    Because guitar players are goofy LOL. Soon as something is no longer made or improved, they swear the older one was better almost EVERY TIME. I have one Gibson and a slew of EPIs, and one of my epis is something special. Stays in tune for days, just has some magic. But I still wanted a Gibson, simple as that

Ben1962

after further review and consideration conclusion is that this is the best lineup for Gibson 2019...
    Gibson knows their guitar business better than anyone...according to sources available: they are profitable and growing their business in their market segment...
    reportedly the lineup was carefully reviewed by a committee of girls and mandolin players (perhaps they came up with the tangerine Les Paul Studio)...this is where the growth is according to studies or at lease a quote from Fender's CEO...
    regarding quality issues that seem primarily related to poor set up on receipt of guitar...
    there are three major customers:
    I.ones that have been playing guitars for years...these typically would go through a set up on any new guitar they buy so Gibson's set up doesn't matter;
    II.ones who are at a skill level that they can't tell the difference anyway...
    III.the small group who find this a problem and go storming around the internet claiming Gibson is a mess and doesn't know how to build good guitars anymore...
    as for robo-tuners...it seemed like a good idea at the time...but honestly, if you have been playing for some time, have good quality tuners/hardware (which Gibson does provide) and strings does the G string going a little flat occasionally really require a robotic system to keep you in tune???
    And 4, guys that know the best Gibson is still THEE BEST. No PRS sounds as good IMO. Yea, they made many mistakes, but you find the right Gibson, its better than gold. Not to mention they do own Epi dont they? Tell me you cant get a killer Epi on the cheap.

Ben1962

forget the push/pulls and mini dips...
    Many smooth jazz guys may disagree. Same with Greeny fans

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Blille View Post
    I’m afraid MSRP is actually $2,821.
    $1,999 is street price.

And just 3 short model years ago MSRP on that Studio was $1,999.

For years many Gibson models have been incredibly overpriced.

Every year, their prices go up. Are you getting more value for your $$$? In many cases, due to Gibson's declining QC, you're getting less.

The solution is to stop fuggin' buying Gibson products.

They have been riding their name brand (and riding their customers) for far too long.

Vote with your wallet.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Unseen

Gibson...have a headstock that does not really work, the sollution?!
    Robotuners....the strings still hangs in the nut due to idiotic angle from tuner to nut...and so on...
    Why not do a subtle redesign?? No no we know best...that is the whole deal in a "nutcase"

Quote Originally Posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
    Gibson...have a headstock that does not really work, the sollution?!
    Robotuners....the strings still hangs in the nut due to idiotic angle from tuner to nut...and so on...
    Why not do a subtle redesign?? No no we know best...that is the whole deal in a "nutcase"
    A simple fix for the nut angle issue (really only on the G and D strings) is to round off the back corners of the nut slot where the string goes over towards the tuner. It removes any binding points. I did this on a buddy's Les Paul and it took care of it. But in the grand scheme, a redesign with the string going straight out the slot to the tuner (oh yeah, Heritage did this) would solve it altogether.

IMO, based on what I've seen in person, Gibson QC overall is better today than it was 10 years ago.

Unseen

...Ah dunno about that...the fretboards still look like a joke...and the bindings still has plenty of paint smears and bad fits...and their friggin' PLEK'ing...oh well.
    Then again to me that company is all what you should not be doing....
    Yep made enough LP nuts in my life....I never wanna see one again

And don't get me started on their acoustics.....

I know alot of people love their guitars...and it is all very sentimental and such....
    I have owned one Gibson in my life....sold it almost as quickly as I got it
    But I have setup mountains of them, and repaired just as many....old to new....liked a few of them, and the good ones sounds very nice.

I dig those who gets great sounds out them, and I certanly get what impact they have made....but I also saw how much they have lived of their name/brand....