Thread: Help ID a bass - Elvis content

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help ID a bass - Elvis content

Hi guys, I saw this image on the interwebs - Elvis playing a bass. At first it looked like an old P bass (the fender logo is kinda visible), but on second look it seems to be shorter in scale. I'm not a bass player so I'm really not up with what's-what in bass land, so can anyone help ID what it is?

Its the top image on this site: https://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au...965-march.html

According to the site, the pic was published in a magazine called 'The Commercial Appeal' on March 7, 1965 - so we know the bass is mid 60's or earlier.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Itís a 1960ís P bass in Olympic white.

http://www.scottymoore.net/ep64PBass.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help ID a bass - Elvis content

Thanks David!

So it is a full sized bass. Must be just the image/angle that has me seeing a shorter scale. Elvis was apparently fairly tall too, so maybe that has something to do with it - proportions etc..

Anyway, thanks again!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, he was 6í tall. So the bass looks smaller.

Iím 5í5Ē, so I know all about basses looking big. lol

Same bass on me, back in the 80s. Lol

(Guild Thunderbass amp, and thatís the drummer from the Feelies playing with my band the Jetsonz.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love outdoor gigs, that one looks like fun!

One of my first gigs as a teenager was at a school football field on the back of a semi-trailer flatbed. My mum probably has some pics of it somewhere but I'm sure I looked like a goof..

I've always liked that shot of Elvis though; just chillin on the sofa with a bass.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AxlOz View Post
    I love outdoor gigs, that one looks like fun!

One of my first gigs as a teenager was at a school football field on the back of a semi-trailer flatbed. My mum probably has some pics of it somewhere but I'm sure I looked like a goof..

I've always liked that shot of Elvis though; just chillin on the sofa with a bass.
    Hereís the funny part... I have only a vague memory of it! It was a party, and I think we just played an impromptu set... thats not even my gear! I played a Ď73 Rick through a Peavey amp.

Someone that was there sent me the photo recently.

Iím sure it was fun but I donít look like Iím enjoying myself. lol.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it just me, or do those Elvis pics look "shopped"? In the "bass" pic, his hair is real sharp against the background, and in the 2nd pic, there's a strange "halo" all around his face. Most noticeable around his hairline.

Name:  Elvis.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  35.6 KB

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    there's a strange "halo" all around his face.
    Yes of course there's a halo - he's Elvis!

In all seriousness, given they were going to magazine print I'd say they were all touched up a little (airbrushed).

Not sure if any of you guys have visited Graceland, but its a LOT different to when these pics were taken.. I read a few weeks back that EPE just recently re-acquired that white grand piano though and it will soon be put back into Graceland.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're probably right. And yes, I did get to visit Graceland. But it was back in a bad time. Around late 80's IIRC. Leaves all around. All the tires were flat on the pink Cadillac. His aunt was still living in the house. Doors would close behind you as you toured through the house. It was surreal. I told my friend that all the people there looked like the people you'd see at White Castle at 3am on a Friday night. Unfortunately, I fit right in.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-07-2018 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would've been quite a strange tour.. I presume the upstairs area was still off-limits back then as well?
    So I've never been to a white castle - will put it on the to-do list for my next US trip though, after or during a big night out.

EPE have done a great job with Graceland though, the whole museum and precinct they've built is huge. I read that they're looking at developing portions of Elvis Presley Boulevard as well, so the whole journey from downtown Memphis to Graceland is a little better. Its a bit weird at the moment - drive out of the city, through a pretty shady area, then you kinda arrive at Graceland..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AxlOz View Post
    I presume the upstairs area was still off-limits back then as well?
    So I've never been to a white castle - will put it on the to-do list for my next US trip though, after or during a big night out.
    Yup. Upstairs was closed. The weird thing was his pool room. Flat black bottom, flat school-bus yellow top. Absolutely hideous. But I understood it. Elvis was raised poor. He thought it was cool. That's all that mattered. It was him.

White Castle up north, Krystal down south. Twin sons of different mothers. All sliders taste the same. Yummy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You mean Elvis' TV room? With the sofa and the 3 TV screens? That was all yellow and black, and had some mirrored ceilings and things going on. I remember a super weird monkey statue on the coffee table there also..
    I visit both north and south on the east coast. NYC is an amazing city, but as an Aussie I seem to feel more comfortable around southerners. We seem to be on a similar level of chill out.
    One thing I discovered last year whilst in the south - burnt ends - holy crap those things are good!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup. That was it. I vaguely remember a pool table, but that may have been a different room. With huge Indian rugs all over the place.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, thats his pool room - leads into the TV room. All part of his basement den area. So cool.