Thread: JB and PG - Loss of Volume Problem

Default JB and PG - Loss of Volume Problem

I have a strange, puzzling situation with both my JB and PG pickups and am looking for any possible input (no pun intended). In my 1980 Les Paul, I have installed BOTH a JB and a Pearly Gates in the bridge position at different times, but have a strange problem with both. When wired directly from the volume pot to the output jack (no tone), I get great volume and full-range, bright tone from the pickups. However, when the volume pot is wired to the tone pot IN ANY FASHION, I immediately lose noticeable volume and high end. I initially thought it was a bad tone cap between the volume and tone pots, but that is NOT the case - even when I run a wire alone (no cap) between the volume and tone, I still lose the volume and high end. Mind you, everything is wired correctly, and I even tried the same experiment with the 59 in my neck position, and it worked fine - NO difference in volume/tone between running straight from the volume pot to output and running through the tone pot. I've replaced the caps, replaced the pots, but still have the same problem with the bridge pickup circuit, regardless of whether I use the JB or PG. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Default Re: JB and PG - Loss of Volume Problem

Have you measured the resistance of the pots you're using?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy_26 View Post
    Have you measured the resistance of the pots you're using?
    Thanks much for the reply, and you raise an interesting question - it may be that the volume is a 500K, with the tone at 250 -not sure, but I'll look into it and see what happens.

When stuff like that happens to me, one of the pots usually isn’t grounded correctly, is intermittent or has a weak solder joint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

I'd love to know what the issue is. Report back with what you find.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions/comments. I'd like to give you some really rare, exotic answer, but the truth is that I just simply replaced all four pots with CTS 500K, replaced the tone caps, and resoldered everything - problem solved. If I had to take a guess now, I think there actually may have been a problem in the volume pot, or perhaps a related cold solder joint. Anyway, $40 bucks, some solder and elbow grease later, all is well! Thanks again for the input!