Thread: NAD: Marshall 2550

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default NAD: Marshall 2550

Finally got my dream amp!

It's pretty beat up but sounded really good even through a mediocre cab.

The owner however painted the tolex white! The caps are also 100muF instead of the original 50/50muF.

I want to try to remove the paint off the tolex, before I re-tolex it. Any ideas? A friend of mine recommended acetone, but I read online it would harm the tolex?

The current tubes are labelled "6CA7 USA", so hopefully these are NOS GE tubes. So I'm not planning on retubing this yet.

I do plan to do a re-cap with F&T 50/50

Thanks for your replies!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: NAD: Marshall 2550

Respray the tolex black (remove amp from shell first)

Or just leave it, doesnt look bad

PS are you sure? Most 2550's seem to be white tolex
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-15-2018 at 08:07 PM.

awesome I would just get new tolex put on of it were me

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Respray the tolex black (remove amp from shell first)

Or just leave it, doesnt look bad

PS are you sure? Most 2550's seem to be white tolex
    It's silver elephant tolex. Although some say it's silver levant, but looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like the original. The levant is better than the bronco, however

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    awesome I would just get new tolex put on of it were me
    I was thinking that as well. Silver levant is available from mojotone. Silver elephant tolex is available in many shops in Europe.

If I chose to re-tolex to silver levant, do I have to replace the corners as well?

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

I'm sure you can get the correct tolex from a Marshall dealer or Antique Electronics Supply can get it from Marshall. Marshall currently uses the correct elephant silver tolex on the 2555X reissue amp, and the min Jubilee series, so they have it. You may need to supply your amp's serial number. You can contact Marshall via email with your amp's serial number and they will put you in contact with their parts distributor in your country.

Your amp has already had some of the filter caps replaced. The purple ones are not stock. The big blue one is. If the amp works good and sounds great I wouldn't mess with it. I bet those USA 6CA7s really sound great in that amp.

You might end up replacing the corner caps because you have to drill out the rivets, and you might destroy them in the process. It's no biggy. Just use screws to put them back on or new ones on.
    Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 10-16-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    I was thinking that as well. Silver levant is available from mojotone. Silver elephant tolex is available in many shops in Europe.

If I chose to re-tolex to silver levant, do I have to replace the corners as well?

I would just go ahead and use the original corners untill they're broken.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    I'm sure you can get the correct tolex from a Marshall dealer or Antique Electronics Supply can get it from Marshall. Marshall currently uses the correct elephant silver tolex on the 2555X reissue amp, and the min Jubilee series, so they have it. You may need to supply your amp's serial number. You can contact Marshall via email with your amp's serial number and they will put you in contact with their parts distributor in your country.

Your amp has already had some of the filter caps replaced. The purple ones are not stock. The big blue one is. If the amp works good and sounds great I wouldn't mess with it. I bet those USA 6CA7s really sound great in that amp.

You might end up replacing the corner caps because you have to drill out the rivets, and you might destroy them in the process. It's no biggy. Just use screws to put them back on or new ones on.
    Tubesandmore actually have corners and rivets. They're not that expensive and I think replacing them is the right way to go. Although I was thinking if I can't get the silver elephant, I can probably opt to not replace the corners and just make the cuts around it?

Yes, the maroon caps are Nippon Chemi-con 100muF and I'm planning on re-capping them with F&T 50/50muF which they say is the closest to the original LCR?

I can't read the labels on the preamp tubes. I'm thinking of replacing them with JJs or Shuguang. You think it's worth it?

Marshall hasn't been very responsive when I asked them to confirm the pot values of based on the schematics I found online as well as the cap values

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    I would just go ahead and use the original corners untill they're broken.

But the rivets will have to be replaced right?

I can't read the labels on the preamp tubes. I'm thinking of replacing them with JJs or Shuguang. You think it's worth it?

That really depends on your tastes; I didn't like either of those in my 2555. The JJs sound pretty good on the lead channel, but the make the rhythm channel pretty dull and lifeless. If you're using the rhythm clip or only using the lead channel, I could see JJs working for that. Shuguangs on the other hand were almost painfully bright on the lead channel. I'm not sure what tube availability is like where you are, but I'm using a Tung-Sol in V1, a Sovtek 12AX7A in V2, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

But the rivets will have to be replaced right?

In that case I would just replace the corners
    I mean one should be able to drill that rivet out like he said but
    New corners would look good anyways. I just felt like the original corners would look good with the faceplate being worn too, not having the amp look exactly brand new or whatever.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    That really depends on your tastes; I didn't like either of those in my 2555. The JJs sound pretty good on the lead channel, but the make the rhythm channel pretty dull and lifeless. If you're using the rhythm clip or only using the lead channel, I could see JJs working for that. Shuguangs on the other hand were almost painfully bright on the lead channel. I'm not sure what tube availability is like where you are, but I'm using a Tung-Sol in V1, a Sovtek 12AX7A in V2, and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3.
    I don't want my 2550 to sound any brighter than it is already.

I can get EH and TAD here, but they're super expensive, locally. I usually order from tubesandmore or amazon for JJs.

I don't want my 2550 to sound any brighter than it is already.

I can get EH and TAD here, but they're super expensive, locally. I usually order from tubesandmore or amazon for JJs.

Do you use the rhythm channel for clean tones? If you don't, JJs are probably your best option. I've only started using the rhythm channel for clean tones in the last couple of years. Before that I just used the lead channel and turned down the guitar volume for clean tones.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Contact tubes and more (AES), they should be able to get the correct silver tolex from Marshall.

I replaced the LCRs in my 50 watt Jubilee with F&Ts. It was sounding kind of spongy and humming so I replaced them but the hum stayed. I later traced the hum down to another cause. The F&Ts sound good. They didn't ruin the original sound or anything. I have learned to leave old amps alone until there is an obvious need to replace something after a confirmed diagnose and only do one thing at a time.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Do you use the rhythm channel for clean tones? If you don't, JJs are probably your best option. I've only started using the rhythm channel for clean tones in the last couple of years. Before that I just used the lead channel and turned down the guitar volume for clean tones.
    I do use the rhythm channel for cleans. I also use my guitars volume control to clean up sometimes. I'm probably not gonna use the 2550 much where I need a clean sound. I have a DSL100H for that kinda stuff

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    Contact tubes and more (AES), they should be able to get the correct silver tolex from Marshall.

I replaced the LCRs in my 50 watt Jubilee with F&Ts. It was sounding kind of spongy and humming so I replaced them but the hum stayed. I later traced the hum down to another cause. The F&Ts sound good. They didn't ruin the original sound or anything. I have learned to leave old amps alone until there is an obvious need to replace something after a confirmed diagnose and only do one thing at a time.
    Tubesandmore finally got back to me and gave me the Marshall rep in the US.

The amp already sounds good with the Nippon caps, but I kept thinking this is probably not way it's supposed to sound?

Tubesandmore have premium kit for jcm800 which has the F&T 50/50 and spragues.