Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Morello

Last edited by texred; 10-11-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

Default Re: Tom Morello

Yep unplugging the guitar and using the lead feedback, scraping the strings behind the nut, altering the pitch of the string back and forth with the tuning key.

He really is incredible and is one of the leading guitarists of the modern generation.

He's a manic guy. Check out this video where he talks about playing with the E Street Band, demos some favorite Rage riffs and shreds like nobody's effing business...

Last edited by Van Noord; 10-11-2018 at 11:57 PM.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hey Van, THANKS!! I will watch. I knew he was badass, but not how much~

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Holy chit!!! Is it hyper or REALLY FKG HAPPY!!! I always listen to old stuff, I'm 57, so never knew RATM; on stage w/Bruuuuuce is the first time I saw him. I'm a huge Bruce fan, because he can do everything, and Tom Morello is the only guitarist I've ever heard appreciate him. Man, he is bad. Gonna go spend my allowance on RATM.
    Thanks so much for the education. I just picked up a Strat 2 years ago, and every week I find a new hero, but not usually this genre. Well, I guess he's his own genre.
    Was excited about Godin, Malmsteen, yet still just an "It's only rock n roll" girl. I still haven't gotten over Samantha Fish, and now this!! Springsteen sure can pickup whoever he wants (i.e. Lofgren quits his own band), but no guitarists I know have any respect for Springsteen, and knowing this guy loves him validates mine; nobody is a better singer/songwriter, even if he chooses to play 3rd guitar. Oh man-nothing like good music with a good story, or vice versa.

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

I always thought he was kinda overrated. But I saw him in an interview with Nikki Sixx and gained alot more respect for him
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I always thought him overrated, but I haven't really him that much either. Considering Rage Against... one of those awful 90's bands that killed rock'n'roll.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    I always thought he was kinda overrated. But I saw him in an interview with Nikki Sixx and gained alot more respect for him
    Yeah, you gotta look at stuff from different angles. I always liked Springsteen, then saw CNN doc, and found out he's actually, uh, pretty brilliant. I'm still LMFAO coz he almost fell out of his chair when asked if he thought Trump would get elected!! So, I'm lookin at Morello in the same light. I'll check out all angles. Was just watching RATM and as a woman, damn it sucks watching half naked sweaty men TEARING IT UP!!
    I think I will die happy.

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I always thought him overrated, but I haven't really him that much either. Considering Rage Against... one of those awful 90's bands that killed rock'n'roll.
    Yeah, what I said about old stuff. I love the 70's.

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Seriously, killed rock and roll? The man is a wizard on guitar, both shred-wise, rhythmically, and with the out there "DJ-ing" stuff that he does.

I had heard of RATM, but like you said, I never listened to no stinkin 90s music. Barely even 80s. Maybe we missed a few things? I am of the "video killed the radio star" bunch. Never, once, watched MTV, and 2 years ago started w/ YT coz I picked up a strat. And wham there's rnr stars everywhere and godin and malmsteen, and,and. . .

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
    Seriously, killed rock and roll? The man is a wizard on guitar, both shred-wise, rhythmically, and with the out there "DJ-ing" stuff that he does.
    fkna

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

What really gave me the respect for him was: A) he was saying how few pedals he uses. He learned to do his "effects" just with the guitar and mainly toggle switch. B) was asked to play for Springsteen and not only was he hugely humble about it, but said it about blew his mind having to learn Bruce's huge catalog of songs in like 2 weeks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

What really gave me the respect for him was: A) he was saying how few pedals he uses. He learned to do his "effects" just with the guitar and mainly toggle switch. B) was asked to play for Springsteen and not only was he hugely humble about it, but said it about blew his mind having to learn Bruce's huge catalog of songs in like 2 weeks
    Bruce is definitely the taskmaster. He expects from everyone else what he expects from himself; that's why he has the tightest band. Did you ever see Nils do a backflip playing? I can find the vid. Hurt my head. The effects IS what blows me away w/Morello. I mean, it's "money from nothin". You know who else does that chit only differently is Uli Jon Roth. I am just discovering all these guys, and I don't know if I'm inspired, or if I should just ditch it !!!

Peace, Love, Justice,
    And No Mercy.

Mojo's Minions

DJ-ing? Heresy

The only DJ we like is DJ Qualls, and that's apparently his legal name, not his profession

I didn't say Tom Morello specifically. Just said I haven't liked any of the music of RATM or their contemporaries I've heard, and they basically swept all the good rock music into underground.

Took 10 years until resurgance of power metal to get some really good rock music back in public conciousness.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Love me some RATM and Tom's playing.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Quote Originally Posted by texred View Post
    Holy chit!!! Is it hyper or REALLY FKG HAPPY!!! I always listen to old stuff, I'm 57, so never knew RATM.
    Really?!? I’m 61 and they are one of my favorite bands. You never watched the Matrix?

Bruce on the other hand.... nope. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)

This may be the single most ignorant post ever on this forum, and that's saying a lot because my stupid ass has been here for 17 years.

Rage kept rock music relevant in the 90s.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    This may be the single most ignorant post ever on this forum, and that's saying a lot because my stupid ass has been here for 17 years.

Rage kept rock music relevant in the 90s.
    Sorry, but I agree with the "ignorant" one

As to Mr. Springsteen, like many other aging big names, he made an unfortunate choice of who to associate with in a misguided attempt to "stay current". Googling seems to indicate he's since rectified the mistake....

Rage can go share a dumpster fire with Korn and their ilk

Nikki Sixx and the rest of Crüe aren't exactly the poster children for sophisticated intellectual guitar music

Also, radio was/is his JOB, he had to branch out and mix up a variety of guests to stay popular... doesn't mean the 80s crowd has mad respect for Morello or anything, just that his producers felt he needed to get some 90s people to appeal to a wider audience
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-12-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I saw Rage on the Lollapalooza tour in 93 and they were awful, in pretty much every aspect. About the same time, I read an article where he said that he hated the ways guitars sounded and wanted to make his sound like anything other than a guitar. It was funny listening to a Chris Cornell interview and hearing him talk about Morello and the other guys being adamant that the songs had to be in 4/4, no odd time or changes. Morello has always been on my criminally overrated list for decades.