Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY amp build: Done with the headshell ..now comes the tough part :p

Default Re: DIY amp build: Done with the headshell ..now comes the tough part :p

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    I like LOUD

Oh but wait - why do LOUD when you could do bedroom levels; running your tube amp's volume at .25 and "stacking" distortion pedals to get your gain?

Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Default Re: DIY amp build: Done with the headshell ..now comes the tough part :p

Very nice and very unique.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Yeah, the very one

Well. two actually ..I bought another one of them as back-up/or maybe to use in a future project.

Are you running the 65V version as well? I think they have a couple of others ..55/60/70V etc..

Any problems/issues with your monoblocks ..heating..noise.. anything? I've run my circuit quite a few times now & it runs cool/seems real solid.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Very nice and very unique.
    Thank you

The design is something that just literally popped into my head one day & funnily enough (for once lol) turned out exactly the way I envisioned it

Pretty sure it's not going to appeal to conventional tastes haha, but I've always thought if you're going to do something ..do it your way

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Yeah, the very one

Well. two actually ..I bought another one of them as back-up/or maybe to use in a future project.

Are you running the 65V version as well? I think they have a couple of others ..55/60/70V etc..

Any problems/issues with your monoblocks ..heating..noise.. anything? I've run my circuit quite a few times now & it runs cool/seems real solid.
    I've got the one in my link. It's the 70V version. I also have two , one for each channel amp.
    I found the fans got noisy pretty quickly and had to change them. The ones I changed them to were better but still a bit noisy for me. I'm just about to try some that are a bigger depth and hopefully quieter.
    Don't ever directly connect your input positive to ground. I don't know why but if you do the module starts overheating.
    I had a volume pot connected that did that at one end. When turned to that end it muted it [ as it should ] and immediatly started overheating. I disconnected the ground point on the pot and it still gives plenty of volume cut.

I use it in my sound system and it gets plenty of use. I run a pair of boxes on it that both have two 150 watt 10" Drivers in them and high wattage tweeter horns. 300 watts @8Ohm. The modules should be delivering 280 Watts.
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 10-13-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have the master volume (10K audio taper pot) between the last preamp stage (active mid boost/EQ) & the power amp input as well, though I have'nt yet hooked it up. I'll keep the ground thing in mind.. Are you using 10k pots for your volumes?

That's pretty cool..must have quite a thump to it

I think they were advertised as having a 500W output @ 4 ohms. Presumably about half that at 8 ohms..

But there's no way to measure actual wattage/output is there
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-13-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have the master volume (10K audio taper pot) between the last preamp stage (active mid boost/EQ) & the power amp input as well, though I have'nt yet hooked it up. I'll keep the ground thing in mind.. Are you using 10k pots for your volumes?

That's pretty cool..must have quite a thump to it

I think they were advertised as having a 500W output @ 4 ohms. Presumably about half that at 8 ohms..

But there's no way to measure actual wattage/output is there
    possibly..

I've got 100k pots but the effective range is pretty much up one end. Something around 10>20k is probably more suitable. I did put some 1Mfd/63V electrolytics on the inputs as coupling capacitors.

I've finally got something loud enough to jam to without drowning it out with my guitar amps.

Regarding fans, I read somewhere that it's good idea to remove the little onboard one or use rubber washers to mount it. I've got this thing that will go on top behind the large air vent..but mines got black fans and a pair of black metal "finger protection" grilles on top...

It'll be going where the two black holes/circles are..

Name:  IMG_1376.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  199.8 KB

Pardon the ****ty pic..that's my dinky plastic camera with dead batteries
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Youtube

Bandcamp

I experimented. Turn off the fans and those modules get very hot very quickly. I mounted a digital temp sensor/switch underneath the heatsink. I quickly came to the conclusion the fans need to be going constantly. My modules are mounted with rubber grommets at the corners, no bolts. I've got some pics of the amp on another computer .I'll dig some out later.

All I have going right now is the dinky fan on the amp module and it's been quiet/not had any heating issues (at least out of the box) so far, but then Ive only tested it a few times & not for more than an hour or so. But could the extra heat have something to do with your running a 70V board vs. my 65V? I think 70V is the very maximum that it will handle.

Youtube

Bandcamp

All I have going right now is the dinky fan on the amp module and it's been quiet/not had any heating issues (at least out of the box) so far, but then Ive only tested it a few times & not for more than an hour or so. But could the extra heat have something to do with your running a 70V board vs. my 65V? I think 70V is the very maximum that it will handle.
    No, I was just pointing out that those fans on the module, although small, are needed. There's no extra heat happening, just the operational heat.

Oh ok..I'll keep it on there then...maybe slip some rubber washers in between the fan & heatsink or something. Rubber grommets for mounting seems like a cool idea. I'm going to be using nylon L shaped mounts & spacers for my boards.

Would love to check out those monoblock pics if/when you can post them

Youtube

Bandcamp

Oh yeah another thing..are you running your extra fans of the 12V auxiliary power outlet on the power supply board (top right)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Power board.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	93278

I guess "OV" would be the fan's neutral wire?

Youtube

Bandcamp

Oh yeah another thing..are you running your extra fans of the 12V auxiliary power outlet on the power supply board (top right)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Power board.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	357.5 KB 
ID:	93278

I guess "OV" would be the fan's neutral wire?
    Yes

There's no extra ones, just the module fans.The fans are running from the modules as they first were but that's a thought. They seem to run at a constant speed , no temp sensing and speed adjustment happening so connecting them to the PS is a good idea. I hadnt really thought of it, easier than resoldering fan connections. My case layout and case probably breath more than yours. I'll get some pics up later.

AH, I have my temp sensors/switches running off the PS 12V.
    My camera has a scratch on the lens which causes the haziness in the pics.
    The last pic is with a board from an old stereo power amp. One channel that outputs about 400 Watts. An old world equivalent to one of these modules.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	93282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2453.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	93283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2456.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	93284  
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 10-13-2018 at 10:29 PM.

With it's cover on. The bottom part of the case is reverse the top so there are ventilation grills at the back on the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0674.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	93285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0677.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	93286  

Very cool!

So it's the two amp's run in stereo in one chassis ..not separate monoblocks. That's a reasonably spaced out fit. Looks pretty neat. Mine's pretty cramped in comparison even with the single amp/power supply.. (Technically two PS's , cause I have a tranny running the tube preamp).

I think my enclosure measures about 12(w)x4(h)x9(d) inches or so. I've had to use SMD-sized sealed pots & other space saving methods. The thing that's in the way right now is the 3 way selector switch that sticks out and causes space problems in the panel area. Hopefully I can work around it...

ie..one of these.

They look cool though

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-13-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Youtube

Bandcamp

With it's cover on. The bottom part of the case is reverse the top so there are ventilation grills at the back on the bottom.
    Looks sweet..plenty of ventilation. I'm thinking of drilling some holes in the base (chopping board ) of mine too..lets see how things work first though..

Youtube

Bandcamp

The last pic is with a board from an old stereo power amp. One channel that outputs about 400 Watts. An old world equivalent to one of these modules.
    lol, what kind of amp was that

My dad had a coupe of old monsters too ..weighing in at 30-40 kgs each

Youtube

Bandcamp

lol, what kind of amp was that

My dad had a coupe of old monsters too ..weighing in at 30-40 kgs each
    It's from the 70's, an Inkel 910, 400>450 Watts a channel . It's a PA power amp, it's large and has a transformer in it that weighs like a block of blue stone rock.
    It's almost too heavy for me to lift.

Last edited by GoldenVulture; 10-13-2018 at 11:54 PM.