Thread: Help newbie select right amp

Default Help newbie select right amp

Hi people, my first post in this group, be kind.

I'm building a lap steel guitar, probably with neck and bridge P90 or Humbucker-type pups (See? I'm learning the jargon).

Anyway, I want a sound similar to Ronnie Wood's, Ry Cooder's, Lowell George's, and Paul Barrere's, et al. slide.

Any rec's for a good entry-level amp? Or can you direct me to another source for such info?

Thanks a heap,
    -jbb

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Re: Help newbie select right amp

Welcome to the forums!!

A few questions.

What's your budget? Where do you practice? How loud can you practice? Do you intend on playing with others in a band or jam setting?

These questions and your answers will help guide you to your potential choices.

Just FYI, Ry Cooder and Lowell George swear by Dumble amps. NOTHING sounds like a Dumble or costs as much!!! Dumbles started as modified Fender Amps, so based on your answers, I'm sure there is a Fender Amp out there that could fit your needs.
    Last edited by Old Guy; 10-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Welcome to the forums!!

A few questions.

What's your budget? Where do you practice? How loud can you practice? Do you intend on playing with others in a band or jam setting?

These questions and your answers will help guide you to your potential choices.

Just FYI, Ry Cooder and Lowell George swear by Dumble amps. NOTHING sounds like a Dumble or costs as much!!! Dumbles started as modified Fender Amps, so based on your answers, I'm sure there is a Fender Amp out there that could fit your needs.
    Thanks. My budget is entry-level, until I learn the instrument, so $300-$400 for starters. In the short term, I'll use it alone in my house until I get the basic technique, then play with friends but not perform; yet. I was a reasonable guitarist but can't use my left hand to fret anymore. I have played slide. And I'm just starting the build, so haven't committed to specific pups, bridges, tuning machines, &tc. yet.

Thanks again for the response
    -jbb

I would look at a Fender Mustang GT 100 I think it would have the vibe you want and is in your budget. The nice thing is you will have plenty of headroom when you want to jam with others. It is a portable but powerful amp. Most of the guys around here that play them swear by them, I havent heard too many complaints.

Ultimate Tone Member

Even with a good modeling amp like the Mustang GT line, not sure you'll really get close to those tones you're looking for. I would look for a used Fender Blues Jr. You may have to add a few bucks, but it is a great amp that will grow with you.

Little Pigbacon

I love the Blues Junior.

You could start with a Boss Katana 50 as you learn. It is small, light weight and for around $200 it won’t break the bank either.

Ronnie of course likes fender amps and I don't know if he uses separate amps for his lap steel but live he likes Fender Custom Vibro King amps, in studio it varies but he likes small fenders. Something with a fendery tweedy flavor will work, blues Jr included.
    If you get a modeling amp, a fender mustang type might be a great way to go,
    but I really like tube amps and if you learn to get the goods out of something like a blues jr I think it usually sounds better. Tube amps have a different feel that is more interactive and I think that would be best for slide.

My first thought is a Blues Jr as well, or something like a Peavey Classic 30 (or something in that family). I think you need a very dynamic amp for that, and not really many sounds, but one really great sound.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions

Look for a Peavey Delta Blues combo with the 15" speaker.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

I'm in the Blues Junior camp. Great little amp.

Thanks guys, discussions like this help me a lot.

I'm going to settle for the Dumble and Dumblebeater. Maybe I'll get lucky at a garage sale.

Thanks a heap, again.

-jbb

I'm fond of Peavey amps myself
    Lots of modeling choices in the VIP series
    Most modeling amps have headphone connections that let you sort out your sound before letting the world hear you mess up

Most have aux inputs for playing along with songs

I vote modeler
    Just cuz of the home practice thing

Once you get in a group of folks playing no one will notice.what you play through
    But they will notice if you ain't loud enough

So 100 watt modeler is my suggestion
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

If I am not mistaken....those cats also use some effects on their sound. Reverb (often plate?) or delay, and/or tremolo, depending on how swampy they want to get it.

I like that used Peavy Delta Blues Idea best, or the Classic 30.

That said, A Katana is NEVER a bad thing to have and that or the GT100 will have fx built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...