Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Practice Through Fatigue?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Silence Kid's Avatar

Default Practice Through Fatigue?

Or stop and rest?

I've come to realize my hand-strength just isn't what it was when I used to have a guitar in my hand constantly; and I can wear myself out pretty quick when I practice more intense things. In other words- My playing after 5 minutes sounds a LOT different than my playing after 15 minutes.

Should I just play for 15 minute spurts then? Or is that just something I need to work through? To specify - 'fatigue' doesn't so much equal pain, but a sort of generalized slow-ness that develops to my responses. I don't *think* it's anything I need to see a doctor about, and it doesn't really manifest anywhere in my life except for where I'm working on more complex guitar parts.
    - JBJ - JMBJ - SH-12J - SH-2n - SH-1b - SH-3 - SH-13 - SH-6 - STK-S4n - APS-1 Set - SJAG-1 Set - SJM-2 Set -

Default Re: Practice Through Fatigue?

I do 15 minutes at a time, and take breaks. I keep a guitar out and ready to go at all times, and pick it up several times a day. I don't play in pain, but my attention span is more focused in 15 minutes than minute 45 in an extended practice session.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    Or stop and rest?

I've come to realize my hand-strength just isn't what it was when I used to have a guitar in my hand constantly; and I can wear myself out pretty quick when I practice more intense things. In other words- My playing after 5 minutes sounds a LOT different than my playing after 15 minutes.

Should I just play for 15 minute spurts then? Or is that just something I need to work through? To specify - 'fatigue' doesn't so much equal pain, but a sort of generalized slow-ness that develops to my responses. I don't *think* it's anything I need to see a doctor about, and it doesn't really manifest anywhere in my life except for where I'm working on more complex guitar parts.
    Little known trick:

Switch to bass, run some exercise patterns all around the fretboard (good time to drill at alternate picking if that trips you up, too), and go watch an episode of TV so the mindless repetition doesn't zone you out

Dunno if it's the gauge or the spacing or whatever, but unless your wrist is literally cramping up, bass and guitar don't "share" fatigue types. Your guitar speed and accuracy mightve slowed to a crawl, but if you switch to bass you'll be near-100%, and when you switch back your guitar readiness will be 90+% as well

If you got a week of idleness at home to burn, you'll have fingernail-sized callouses and be able to alternate back and fortth for 24 hours straight if you wanted to by the end of it
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-24-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

I personally try to make the session gradually increase in intensity and then switch between kinds of exercises (scales, chords, improv etc) and that way I can avoid fatigue most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Little known trick:

Switch to bass, run some exercise patterns all around the fretboard (good time to drill at alternate picking if that trips you up, too), and go watch an episode of TV so the mindless repetition doesn't zone you out

Dunno if it's the gauge or the spacing or whatever, but unless your wrist is literally cramping up, bass and guitar don't "share" fatigue types. Your guitar speed and accuracy mightve slowed to a crawl, but if you switch to bass you'll be near-100%, and when you switch back your guitar readiness will be 90+% as well

If you got a week of idleness at home to burn, you'll have fingernail-sized callouses and be able to alternate back and fortth for 24 hours straight if you wanted to by the end of it
    This is great. Never thought of it. Im trying this today.