Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about Harley Benton Guitars

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Tell me about Harley Benton Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Anyone have an idea who Harley Benton *is*? It sounds like someone's name.
    I think it's supposed to sound American and vaguely vroom-vroom motorcycley to Europeans
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Doubtful...what between the "thermally treated" (baked) maple fretboard and the "Roswell" pickups

Fun fact: if they didnt bake the maple, I mightve been tempted
    Not saying they were made from the same parts and woods, but maybe at the same factory since many brands have outsourced to Indonesia and Vietnam. So what's to stop those factories from making Bentons for money? Thomann brands Joyo pedals as Harley Benton at the Joyo factory.

Baked maple seems to be one of the choises since the CITES regulation.

Just to make it clear for our forum bros on the other side of the pond. Harley Benton is a house brand. Not a new amazing Les Paul alike maker.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
    Not saying they were made from the same parts and woods, but maybe at the same factory since many brands have outsourced to Indonesia and Vietnam. So what's to stop those factories from making Bentons for money? Thomann brands Joyo pedals as Harley Benton at the Joyo factory.

Baked maple seems to be one of the choises since the CITES regulation.

Just to make it clear for our forum bros on the other side of the pond. Harley Benton is a house brand. Not a new amazing Les Paul alike maker.
    I meant that the examples provided had different specs, so they weren't straight up rebadges like the japanese factories did with their no-headstock "Ibanez" (order a minimum # and they'll write whatever name you ask for) catalogs of the 1970s

Ultimate Tone Member

I wonder what they uptick in price would be if they got an American distributor. I need to put my hands on one before spending any money. Especially if it's a PITA to send it back as I'm reading it is.

Beyond unknown tariffs

The shipping , from what I hear , is 35 bucks whether you get a single item or several

I want one of the celestian loaded 2x12 cabs for 250 bucks
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Tone Member

Europe and Japan are A LOT richer than America.... not in a meaningless average distorted by a few trillion net worth residing within a mere several square miles of SF Bay Area and NYC, but in the much more meaningful median. Average folk with money to burn.

That means more uninformed amateurs who walk into a chain store and drop $600 - 1000ish on a prospective new hobby, purely following the "helpful" salesperson's recommendation

No serious gearhead would ever recommend Ibby Premium over an 80s RG or a Jcraft with a few battlescars, or a new Grassroots over a 90s ESP
    An 80s RG or a 90s ESP that's been played regularly is going to have some mega fret-wear by this point. It'd be a risk to buy one of those, because you'd never know if it played well or not until you already bought it and shelled out for a re-fret.

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post

The shipping , from what I hear , is 35 bucks whether you get a single item or several
    Yeah, up to three guitars is a flat $35 rate. Then another $35 per additional guitar.

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    An 80s RG or a 90s ESP that's been played regularly is going to have some mega fret-wear by this point. It'd be a risk to buy one of those, because you'd never know if it played well or not until you already bought it and shelled out for a re-fret.
    Yeah that affirmation is just dumbass and entirely based on gut feeling rather than ration. How the fk would an 80s RG be better than a Premium? Lol...

The locking nut of 80s and 90s RGs are locked from the back of the neck, which led to crack. This is commonplace. Some complain about the 1 mm diffence in the width of the neck of todays Prestiges but that's only valid if your hand is the size of Leprechaun.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    Oddly....no, they don't.

Wxtreme use probably means they get refrets, although I've never seen a used market guitar with obvious signs of it

I've never seen a Fujigen Ibanez or Japanese ESP with badly beaten frets. At worst, a couple small marks along the G string.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Yeah that affirmation is just dumbass and entirely based on gut feeling rather than ration. How the fk would an 80s RG be better than a Premium? Lol...

The locking nut of 80s and 90s RGs are locked from the back of the neck, which led to crack. This is commonplace. Some complain about the 1 mm diffence in the width of the neck of todays Prestiges but that's only valid if your hand is the size of Leprechaun.
    Have you...compared em?

Btw, forget Premium, even the reissue RG550's from the same Japanese plant are a pretty sad sight vs. Old 80s and 90s examples.
    Last edited by Adieu; 10-30-2018 at 05:15 PM.

tonewood instigator

Oddly....no, they don't.

Wxtreme use probably means they get refrets, although I've never seen a used market guitar with obvious signs of it

I've never seen a Fujigen Ibanez or Japanese ESP with badly beaten frets. At worst, a couple small marks along the G string.

Have you...compared em?

Btw, forget Premium, even the reissue RG550's from the same Japanese plant are a pretty sad sight vs. Old 80s and 90s examples.
    Just curious, what exactly is your ratio of Japenese to non-Japanese guitars? You seem to like them a lot.
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Have you...compared em?

Tell me exactly in what ways the 90s RGs are far more superior than the new ones (Japanese or Premiums). Give me like a list of strengths and weaknesses or something.

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Just curious, what exactly is your ratio of Japenese to non-Japanese guitars? You seem to like them a lot.
    All but 1 or 2 japanese, depending on how you count mixed partscasters and one guitar of unclear origin

Oh and the 1 clearly non-japanese is a fretless bass I don't use (yet?), which was bought more or less out of curiosity / just to have one on hand, on a whim simply because it cost 90 bucks and that doesn't happen very often

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Tell me exactly in what ways the 90s RGs are far more superior than the new ones (Japanese or Premiums). Give me like a list of strengths and weaknesses or something.
    Neck build, feel, and yes profile is radically different...although I don't actually like gloss necks per se, I strongly prefer the old laminated maple gloss necks, vs the current bubinga striped and and thin finished ones.There was a specific point they switched at, it was well-documented by the metalheads on sevenstring

They also had much better wood on the old laminated maple designs, and that's even before we get into the "glorious old rosewood is dark and glorious" debate.

Fretwork was also superior. Far superior.

And the old Edge / LoPro Edge trems were the penultimate Floyds, period. The "updated" versions, not so much.

As to Koreans and Indos, they also suffer from a whole lot of tonally dead wood cobbled together any old way. The old Japs are hella resonant, meanwhile.

I meant that the examples provided had different specs, so they weren't straight up rebadges like the japanese factories did with their no-headstock "Ibanez" (order a minimum # and they'll write whatever name you ask for) catalogs of the 1970s
    Straight up rebadges they aren't. Maybe in this time of possible lawsuits the guitars have to be just a bit different so they can claim to be their own model, but close enough to look like the real thing. So these are targeted to someone who does not have or want to spend too much money on them or wants to own a large collection of guitars. Like these ones.

Name:  314901.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  10.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	preview_1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	93642

The end of the headstock almost reverse and a different horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I wonder what they uptick in price would be if they got an American distributor. I need to put my hands on one before spending any money. Especially if it's a PITA to send it back as I'm reading it is.
    Thomann is a one large store and they don't have distributors. They do online sales to other parts of Europe and possibly overseas. I've bought three guitars (2 Epis and a Vintage) from them and pedals (just online photos) and didn't have any problems with them.
    Last edited by Lovegun; 10-31-2018 at 01:39 AM.

Ultimate Tone Member

David Wallimann on YouTube just did a blues vid with a LP copy by HB. It sounded AMAZING. Looked great, too. May have to pull the trigger just to see what they are about...

Tone Member

Neck build, feel, and yes profile is radically different...although I don't actually like gloss necks per se, I strongly prefer the old laminated maple gloss necks, vs the current bubinga striped and and thin finished ones.There was a specific point they switched at, it was well-documented by the metalheads on sevenstring

They also had much better wood on the old laminated maple designs, and that's even before we get into the "glorious old rosewood is dark and glorious" debate.

Fretwork was also superior. Far superior.

And the old Edge / LoPro Edge trems were the penultimate Floyds, period. The "updated" versions, not so much.

As to Koreans and Indos, they also suffer from a whole lot of tonally dead wood cobbled together any old way. The old Japs are hella resonant, meanwhile.
    In what universe were the old necks better?!?! Those things had a horrible tendency to warp, it's why they changed the profile to be thicker on the "Prestige Wizard" profile, and then added the titanium rods in the first RG550 reissue, and then went to maple/bubinga necks on the most recent "thinner" Wizards.

Fretwork on an old guitar is irrelevant; either the guitar wasn't played much because it was a POS overall, or it was played a lot and the frets are either worn to nothing or have long since been replaced.

I don't follow Ibby much (I don't like the Wizard profile), and I favor fixed bridges anyways, but I thought that Ibby had gone back to the original Edge in the last few years? Also, "penultimate" doesn't mean what you think it does.

I ordered the HB TE90-QM. I paid $220. to my door with padded gig bag. It did get banged up in shipping. The neck came off (at the neck pocket) and yes as someone else had said...Thoman will replace the guitar. But, sending it back would have been a real pain. So, I repaired it myself...easy fix. Then I did some modifications. Hipshot locking ratio tuners, brass saddles, and Les Paul style knobs (cant stand the small chrome nobs). I like the guitar I would not have done any upgrades. The Roswell P90 PUs are not bad. The Pots are good...not the small ones you get on cheap guitars. However the cap on the tone pot needs to be replaced...get very dark and muddy. I think a different cap would help the pickups. They are quiet for P90s. Says they are ALNICO V...not sure cause I have not take them out of the guitar. The neck is Maple with Dark Maple fretboard. Frets were nice...But I still polished them while I was doing the upgrades. There were some complaints about the F holes not having black paint covering the entire cavity. Mine was well covered. The nut is some type of materiel. Looks like bone but not bone...works good and doesnt grab the strings. I would buy again...and do the upgrades allover again. Its not a high end guitar...but with lil TLC (Polish the frets, condition the fret board) it plays great. I have many guitars and I did this for fun. And it was fun.