Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Reverend owners?

Tone Member

Default Any Reverend owners?

The clinic last night worked. Now I'm GASing for a Reverend Guitar. Anyone own one and can give some feedback?

Default Re: Any Reverend owners?

I have a couple - great guitars. Difficult to find better at the price point.

Iím actually listing one on Reverb at the moment to clear space for another!

Reverend Bayonet FM feat. Railhammer Nuevo-90 Pickups 2014 Wine Red Satin https://reverb.com/item/2984154-reve...m_medium=share

Message me here if youíre interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tone Member

Ohhhh that's a nice one!! I'm looking at the Airsonic W. It has a sweet blue-green finish like the old Cadillacs.

Reverend is going to be at the Great American Guitar Show this weekend in King of Prussia PA, so I'll get a chance to play one.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Ohhhh that's a nice one!! I'm looking at the Airsonic W. It has a sweet blue-green finish like the old Cadillacs.

Reverend is going to be at the Great American Guitar Show this weekend in King of Prussia PA, so I'll get a chance to play one.
    You wonít be disappointed - my main one is the Double Agent (HB/P90 combo, bolt on neck) - I really love playing it. The Bayonet is an amazing rock guitar, but it overlaps with other guitars I have so was spending more time in its case than being played - and, boy oh boy, itís made to be played - the Railhammer Nuevo-90s I put in are just about perfect.

All that said, Iím in no rush to move it on, so if youíre interested after youíve played some, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

reeves gabrels seems to love his

I have a cool USA Reverend -it was made as a prototype for my buddy when he was negotiating a signature model on Reverend. I believe they sent him several to compare based on his input. It looks like what you they would call a Sensei in their line today. It's a really great feeling guitar, the matte finish and binding everywhere make for a really smooth speeding agile feel. The neck is a sort of medium D with a nice flat SG style fretboard feel maybe 12" radius?.

It has no Made in USA Stamp or Mfg markings other than silver sharpie numbers and initials on it -presumably because it was not meant for sale. The 2 Humbuckers pickups are medium -sort of like a Gibson 490 but those were likely included by reverend just for evaluation of the feel of the guitar because the signature model would have a different pickup. The only thing that I could say I don't prefer is the Korina wood -it has a more hollow sounding tonality that sounds good and tight but a few frequency in the spectrum that seem missing, it's just not my preference.
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-08-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Silence Kid's Avatar

Didn't they initially have some weird Formica body? I think I lost interest after that stopped.
    - JBJ - JMBJ - SH-12J - SH-2n - SH-1b - SH-3 - SH-13 - SH-6 - STK-S4n - APS-1 Set - SJAG-1 Set - SJM-2 Set -

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

Over the last 6 months I have fallen in love with Reverend. I picked up a 20th year anniversary double agent og at a great price and imagined I would flip it if I didn't like it.

And now I can't imagine ever letting it go... It has replaced a parker hss, a fender strat, my zion strat and is competiting with my custom build mahogany L5. I can't get over how versital the Reverend is.

I've spent some time trying to figure out why it's so good and think its a mix of positives...

1. Excellent wood, build and hardware... Read up on the wood, its amazing how diverse this mix is.

2. I've always loved long scale maple necks with warmer bodies... That seems to.be the formula for going from strat to LP tones in one guitar.

3. The neck p90 is very good, but the railhammer bridge is among the best modern paf designs I have ever heard... Much of this killer tone apparently come from the mix off blades on the bass side and oversized slugs on the treble... As a result it goes from clear, clean, snappy bright to heavy fatness. I had designed my L5 to get these tones and I'm amazed that a nearly stock guitar has this range. Note that I have a mod to parallel the railhammer to itself and that is part of the incredible tonal range...

4. The bass roll off is incredibly versital... Another reason this guitar goes from tight and snappy to big and fat.

I roll off the bass to set my amp just below overdrive, and as I add back bass, it turns into a beautiful crunch.

One of the reasons ive made such a long post is that I'm going to AB compare the Reverend with my L5 at a gig tonight... I'll report back with results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zionstrat; 11-09-2018 at 07:06 AM.
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Mojo's Minions

Not really partial to Reverends body styles with the exception of the Sensei and the Volcano. And, I think it's the Manta Ray semi-hollow and a couple other semi-hollows that are very similiar to the Sensei's.

I find it interesting that they have gone to Blackwood Tech fingerboards on most of their models. It's a treated wood product so it is real wood (New Zealand Pine). Sustainable, which is good. But I'm betting the driving factor was that it avoids Cites and it definitely saves them money. That said, it wouldn't stop me from buying one.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silence Kid View Post
    Didn't they initially have some weird Formica body? I think I lost interest after that stopped.
    They did! Someone at the Greg Koch event brought their first ever Bass that he bought as a first run when the company started and the area where the pickups are is wood but the wings are Formica. Beautiful Bass.

Tone Member

Funny im gonna post a NGD when i can about a Reverend I purchased used from guitar center. Loving it so far. Just need to take some good pictures when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by zionstrat View Post
    Over the last 6 months I have fallen in love with Reverend. I picked up a 20th year anniversary double agent og at a great price and imagined I would flip it if I didn't like it.

And now I can't imagine ever letting it go... It has replaced a parker hss, a fender strat, my zion strat and is competiting with my custom build mahogany L5. I can't get over how versital the Reverend is.

I've spent some time trying to figure out why it's so good and think its a mix of positives...

1. Excellent wood, build and hardware... Read up on the wood, its amazing how diverse this mix is.

2. I've always loved long scale maple necks with warmer bodies... That seems to.be the formula for going from strat to LP tones in one guitar.

3. The neck p90 is very good, but the railhammer bridge is among the best modern paf designs I have ever heard... Much of this killer tone apparently come from the mix off blades on the bass side and oversized slugs on the treble... As a result it goes from clear, clean, snappy bright to heavy fatness. I had designed my L5 to get these tones and I'm amazed that a nearly stock guitar has this range. Note that I have a mod to parallel the railhammer to itself and that is part of the incredible tonal range...

4. The bass roll off is incredibly versital... Another reason this guitar goes from tight and snappy to big and fat.

I roll off the bass to set my amp just below overdrive, and as I add back bass, it turns into a beautiful crunch.

One of the reasons ive made such a long post is that I'm going to AB compare the Reverend with my L5 at a gig tonight... I'll report back with results.

I was looking at the railhammer hyper vintage pickups for my reverend. Mine is an older model before those pockups were used. What do you think of the bridge? How woupd you describe the sounds it gets?

I dig the Reverend body style. Very sleek yet classy. I've picked up a few and really liked them. The Super Rev looks totally badass. I wouldn't mind one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeDante View Post

I was looking at the railhammer hyper vintage pickups for my reverend. Mine is an older model before those pockups were used. What do you think of the bridge? How woupd you describe the sounds it gets?
    My bridge is a very solid TOM design and I love it.

And yep, its the hyper vintage in the bridge that makes this reverend so amazing.

When clean, its clear, articulate and the good kind of bright with well defined attack..

But crunch isnt icepick at all.

When crunched its a whole different pup... Still well defined, but more bloom, and plenty of fat...

Very hard to compare to other pups... Pgates is probably the closest SD pup, but the clean is much more pure and the crunch is very similar.

Honestly, the closest pup I have experienced would be a classic bridge mini humb in a LP deluxe.

But the minis sound is mainly due to smaller string window while the railhammer is full size.

In comparison, the clean sounds are similar, but the crunch is much thicker with the railhammer.

I love everything about this pup! It pairs wonderfully with the neck p90 with the RH is parallel or in series with self.

I would never imagine that the mixed blade and monster pole pieces could make such a difference , but in the Reverend, I literally can't imagine a better bridge pup... Imho, its in a class of its own.

So I giged the Reverend against my extremely customized L5s prototype last night and the results were obvious.

As warm bodied, maple neck long scales, both cover tele/strat/LP tones very well. The center pup on the l5 provided a slight advantage over the Reverend for quack rhythms and it has noise reduction in all positions...

But that's pretty much the only advantages... Considering the L5 build cost at least twice as much (not counting all of the development time and cost), the value point for the Reverend is phenomenal...

It really makes case in point that it's extremely hard to create high end boutique builds that significantly out perform high quality mass production builds.

Of course that doesn't mean I'll do less mods in the future, but likely that the starting platform very well may be a Reverend.

I’d love a Ron Asheton sig

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Iíd love a Ron Asheton sig
    The only thing better than 2 p90s is 3 p90s

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    I’d love a Ron Asheton sig
    I absolutely LOVE that guitar. It's ****ing crazy how sexy it is.

Name:  262493-ash1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  18.6 KB
    Fender Telecaster / SD Hot for Tele set.
    Ibanez SZ320 Black / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    G&L Superhawk Tribute

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - V30+K100 / 1x12 - Eminence Wizard
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

WISH I had a Reverend. A few models I really dig...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    WISH I had a Reverend. A few models I really dig...
    I got to play some at the Guitar Show yesterday. SUPER nice and sound great through a nice clean tube amp. Wow. GASsing hard now.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I got to play some at the Guitar Show yesterday. SUPER nice and sound great through a nice clean tube amp. Wow. GASsing hard now.
    Which ones? I love the old and new doubles agents. Would very much like to try their 3 pup designs