Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brobucker

Default Re: Brobucker

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    magnet swapping doesnt require soldering usually

It does when HB's have covers.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    It does when HB's have covers.

Hense the term 'usually'.
    Playing:
    Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
    Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
    Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
    Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbazille1970 View Post
    I have a BroBucker and tried it in the bridge position of my Cort and I did not like it. Output was to low and the the highs a bit weak so I took it out put my heavily modded 500T back in. I measured the pole screws at 50mm and that is for the neck position , not the bridge. I put it aside for a few monthe and decided to use it in the neck position of my Epiphone SG Korina. First though I changed the center magnet to a RC A8 and added two half magnets to the outer sides , like Gibson did with the 500T. I put a 1/2 RC UOA5 on the pole scrw side and a polished 1/2 A5 on the stud side. The outer magnets are magneticly opposing the center RC A8. By doing this the output is increased substantially. I installed the BroBucker into the neck position of the Epiphone SG Korina with the pole screws facing the neck and the two coils wired in parallel and man this pickup sounds great and has found a permanent home in that guitar. It brings out the Korina bodys resonance beautifully and also brings out a bit of bridge harmonics and has a good high end. I hope this info helps somebody , good luck to all.
    What made you decide which coil to put each spacer magnet on? Iím strongly considering installing a ceramic spacer magnet on the screw side of a pickup but Iím not sure if thatís the coil I want.

Not too surprising IMO that the Brobucker has less output and highs than a 500T...
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

Tone Member

I just figured out the brobucker design. So it wouldn’t matter as only one coil is mostly hearing the strings.

I decided to use the RC UOA5 on the screw side because I intended to install the pickup with the pole screws facing the neck and the polished A5 on the slug side because I wanted the slug side a hair brighter because it would be facing the bridge and hopefully bring out some bridge harmonics which it did do , so I am pleased with the results.
    I hope this info is useful to all.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I just figured out the brobucker design. So it wouldn’t matter as only one coil is mostly hearing the strings.
    Just because the coils are mismatched does not mean it is a drastic difference in coil wind. The Brobucker still sounds very much like a humbucker.
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.

the coils are like 4.8 and 5.2 or something like that on mine. i took two of the original four i bought and made a double screw 9.6k and a double stud 10.4k. all three versions sound great and very humbuckery

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Just because the coils are mismatched does not mean it is a drastic difference in coil wind. The Brobucker still sounds very much like a humbucker.

Right, still sounds like a humbucker. With spin-a-split you can hear the the reduction in humbucker and increase in single coil as you gradually turn down the 2nd coil, until there's hardly any of the 2nd coil left. Hybrid HB's aren't paired with such drastic differences.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."