Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

Mojo's Minions

Default Re: Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

There are 2 way of running businesses.

One involves doing the job well and getting a lot of business (and therefore profit) through recommendation and a wider circle of clients.

The other just looks at the bottom line and goes - cut back costs everywhere you can.

There is only 1 of these scenarios that is a long term viable method. Gibson went down the other route and look where they ended up.

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

One involves doing the job well and getting a lot of business (and therefore profit) through recommendation and a wider circle of clients.

The other just looks at the bottom line and goes - cut back costs everywhere you can.

There is only 1 of these scenarios that is a long term viable method. Gibson went down the other route and look where they ended up.
    You have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

Mojo's Minions

^ Are you drunk??

Mojo's Minions

Establlshing reputation, customer loyalty and word of mouth marketing
    Vs.
    Hardcore cost- and corner-cutting

Yup.

And yes, one fertilizes the soil, while the other salts the earth
    Last edited by Adieu; 11-14-2018 at 10:39 PM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

^ Are you drunk??
    Since I don't drink, it's a good bet I'm not drunk.

The last time I spent $$$ in a GC was 1998.

That's 20 years ago.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Stop talkin' and start chalkin'

Guitaramped.com

Tone Member

The only thing i use guitar center for is checking their used gear. Honestly even then most of the prices aren't worth it.

I have purchased used guitars there, and bulk strings.
    And I sold some pedals for an estate.

On a side note....

I like to do my own setup work on my electrics, especially Fender style where everything is easily adjustable. On the acoustic front, take it to a good luthier. It’s worth it!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

PowerMetalRaph
    Dream Baron..... Excellence Level: EVH Tone

I remember ages ago my friends wife took his jackson in to get a setup with low action from this master luthier/service guy .

When he showed me the guitar after the fact the floyd rose was on a 45 degree angle and the strings about 10mm from the frets HA!

if you can string a guitar you can officially be a tech at GC.
    And the Meek shall inherit the Earth

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post

There are 2 ways of arguing on the internet -over simplify and generalized to bait people into one of 2 camps ONLY ..... or not. hahahaha

I got jokes.

Kill em all ...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Mark Cearlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
    Where do you guys live that your GCs have techs? When I was a beginner and didn't know any better, and needed the input jack on my guitar fixed + a setup done, the GC in Plano just gave me the business card of a local tech who didn't work for them (he did a decent job on the jack repair, and a fairly poor job on the setup).
    I've been to that one, 1/2 of it is a furniture store iirc.. Should have gone to Charleys.. lol
    Btw, if you haven't been, The Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney is Absolutely heaven..
    Guitars:
    2002 Gibson SG Special: Burstbucker lead pro /Burstbucker2
    2007 Fender Deluxe Player Strat, with 2017 Cp50's neck: Dimarzio protrack/chopper

Amps: 2003 Peavey XXX Super 40 112 combo
    Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Well, we don't have to get so drastic/dramatic as to even jokingly talk about killing someone who doesn't do things perfectly. If that were indeed the recommended solution to incompetence, then half of you guys would already be dead.

But seriously, yes if you are unsatisfied with service received, complain to the tech and to the boss. Eventually with enough complaints the tech will improve his service or he will get fired. The problem will get corrected if there are enough complaints. "Permanent elimination" of a tech is not an option that should even be joked about in our present social environment of mass killings, etc.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Mojo's Minions

Natural selection: why train some poor sod or only hire qualified candidates when you can just kill people until someone naturally talented/intuitive/previously trained eventually comes along by chance??

Also, the fatality rate alone SHOULD eventually restore prices to a sustainable level.

Win-win.

Next step: rinse and repeat with fast food workers, uber drivers, and UPS/FedEx employees. God bless capitalism!!!

As my dear departed grandma always said, "fewer folk = more oxygen (for the rest of us)"... and yeah it works better and rhymes in her native language
    Last edited by Adieu; 11-19-2018 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Natural selection: why train some poor sod or only hire qualified candidates when you can just kill people until someone naturally talented/intuitive/previously trained eventually comes along by chance??

Also, the fatality rate alone SHOULD eventually restore prices to a sustainable level.

Win-win.

Next step: rinse and repeat with fast food workers, uber drivers, and UPS/FedEx employees. God bless capitalism!!!

As my dear departed grandma always said, "fewer folk = more oxygen (for the rest of us)"... and yeah it works better and rhymes in her native language
    And what do you do for a living again?
    I am a automotive tech, and some days due to small overlooked things, I would be forced to off myself... lol oh well, that's why I double check things.
    Guitars:
    2007 Fender Deluxe Player Strat, with 2017 Cp50's neck: Dimarzio protrack/chopper

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cearlock View Post
    And what do you do for a living again?
    I am a automotive tech, and some days due to small overlooked things, I would be forced to off myself... lol oh well, that's why I double check things.
    That was reductio ad absurdum / sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    That was reductio ad absurdum / sarcasm
    10-4 Good Buddy!
    Guitars:

Quote Originally Posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Man..... Ninth Circle of Hell Music has got to eliminate their service hacks right fricking now!

Here in Wichita, they got rid of the last guy who ruined half the stuff he touched. Now they have a new guy, and he's even more lacking in skills, abilities, knowledge, and tools than the last guy. This clown is a troglodyte, I'm telling you.

The victim: a newish Martin Shenandoah.
    Client complaint: It's hard to play, and I let GC work on it first.

I eyeballed the thing, and the first thing I notice is frets 1, 2, and 3 are all much taller and wider than the rest. WTF?
    The second thing I noticed is the bridge saddle is flat on the top - as in flat as a pool table. The middle two strings are on the frets, and the outer E strings are way too high.

I ask: "How does it sound plugged in?".
    Client: "I can't hear all the strings".

OK, dismissed the client after picking out new strings, and put the poor thing on the bench to remove the old strings. The hack used epoxy on the 3 frets (which is fine), but it's still oozing out. Cleaned that up with a razor and some thinner. Spiffed up the whole fingerboard with some lemon oil.

There is a big epoxy run from the 1st fret dripping down the treble side. On the bass side, there is an epoxy run at the 3rd fret. I spot the GC hack's epoxy thumbprint right in the middle of neck behind the 5th fret. Removed all the epoxy, and lightly buffed the finish.

Leveled the 3 frets down to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, crowned them, polished them out. Took awhile, but it's cool now.

The bridge saddle is next. Why is it flat? OH. The GC hack installed the bridge saddle upside down in the slot! The curved top is sitting on the pickup, but it's been ground flat. I re-radius (from front to back), and install the saddle properly. Much better, I think.

Restring with new metal, and tune up to pitch. Adjust truss rod a smidge. Action at bridge measures great. Now for the nut... why is the action so high down there? OH. Because the GC hack put super glue in every slot to clear the tall frets he's installed. WTF AGAIN! Reset the action at the nut by filing out the super glue...

DAMN! This Martin plays great! Sounds good, too. My client will be thrilled, and I bet he never goes to GC again for service.

Guitar Center management, if you're reading this: Your service people suck, and that's why a lot of us hate you. Please die.

Signed, real service guy.
    And what would you recommend we do to the people who attend a concert by a group that we hate and think that their music stinks? Would you suggest we sit in an overlooking hotel room and off as many of them as we can?

Or should we just shoot all the bands we hate and then let natural selection take care of those who like that music?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.