Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

  1. #1
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    After a few months of prep, my band is ready to enter the studio on Sunday to record the first track for the upcoming As Follows album! This will be a unique session in that we will be recording the basic tracks live off the floor and it is largely an improvised piece. Stylistically, the song, titled DEAD SLOW AHEAD, is in keeping with the more synth-forward songs I have recorded to date, Galactic Entropy (18 minutes long) and Megalith (23 minutes long). This piece will be a bit longer and more involved than both of those.

    We will be recording at Rivington Music in NYC. I will be producing and engineering the session as well as playing guitar, synths, and percussion.

    I will be using this thread to document the process of prep, set up, and recording a 30+ minute song in a 9 hour session!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  2. #2
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,704

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Recording a 30 minute song kinda sounds like it would be an ordeal. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  3. #3
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Recording a 30 minute song kinda sounds like it would be an ordeal. :P
    It can be! When you venture into these kinds of waters you really have to know the lineup and its capabilities. You also need to have scheduled breaks AND TAKE THEM or you risk burning everyone out.

    I spent the past week working out the equipment list and refining it. I packed all of the equipment yesterday and made a few last minute adjustments. Since this is going to be self recorded I need to bring everything needed for both playing and recording.

    This includes:
    Laptop, recording interfaces
    Monitoring for everyone
    Guitar, effects pedals
    Synthesizers (about six of them for this project)
    Sequencers and MIDI controllers
    Foot controller for bass pedal synth
    Lots, and lots, and lots of cables

    Name:  F20424C2-3A53-4535-A3CA-A7D9945CD7EE.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  84.0 KB
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  4. #4
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Synthesizers being used on this session:
    Yamaha TX7
    Roland JP-08
    Arturia MiniBrute
    Moog Mother-32
    Modular voices from 2hp, Studio Electronics, Expert Sleepers, Make Noise, Erica Synths

    Effects pedals being used:
    TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Prophet, Flourescence
    BOSS RV-3, Space Echo
    strymon DECO
    Mooer Re Echo
    Hartman Tommy Bolin fuzz

    Recording stuff:
    Audio Interface is a Focusrite 18i20/Octo Pre combination (16 tracks simultaneous recording)
    SSL channel strip
    Neutrik patch bay
    Audix D2 microphone for hand percussion
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  5. #5
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    The session went great yesterday!

    We had five hours to write and record and were able to get the first part of the song to the point where we could play it live. We recorded three takes, all live off the floor. The third take was the keeper, running around 16 minutes long.

    On the Minus side we only got to record half of the song; on the Plus side, we got to record half of the song!

    Overall it was a relaxed session with plenty of time to get set up, trouble shoot, and jam. One more session and we should have the whole thing recorded!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  6. #6
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,704

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    You don't do your writing prior to recording?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  7. #7
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    You don't do your writing prior to recording?
    Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Depends on the project, who's involved, and how complete a vision I have for a piece. This time round I wanted to keep it open. I had four 'themes' that were basic sketches, much like a jazz song where you have the head and then a repeating chord sequence with improvisational bits. I did the same thing but applied to a prog/rock setting. It was a gamble but even if we walked out with only a good demo and some solid ideas it was worth it. Fortunately I have the pleasure of jamming with some very creative people and once we got started the piece evolved in a very organic fashion.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  8. #8
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Reamped the guitar tracks today and added the tambourine track. No vocals yet, but here's what we have thus far:



    The guitar track is my '62 Fender reissue with a DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge.
    Pedals used: Catalinbread Naga Viper, MXR micro flange, Hartman Tommy Bolin Fuzz, MXR Phase 90 (Script), BOSS Space Echo (in fx loop).
    Amp used: EAST Studio 2
    Cabinet used: 1970s Hiwatt 4x12
    Bass is a Steinbeger 5 string fretless into an MXR bass di+ into an SSL channel strip
    Synths used: Yamaha TX7, Moog Mother-32, 2hp Pluck
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  9. #9
    Mojo's Minions Ascension's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham Alabama
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,872

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Depends on the project, who's involved, and how complete a vision I have for a piece. This time round I wanted to keep it open. I had four 'themes' that were basic sketches, much like a jazz song where you have the head and then a repeating chord sequence with improvisational bits. I did the same thing but applied to a prog/rock setting. It was a gamble but even if we walked out with only a good demo and some solid ideas it was worth it. Fortunately I have the pleasure of jamming with some very creative people and once we got started the piece evolved in a very organic fashion.
    Cool and good to see someone else here doing stuff like this. I work in a circle of folk who do spontaneous stuff regularly. We are doing worship stuff so it's a little different environment but the same concept. I record regularly because you just never know when something cool is just going to come.
    Your clip reminded me of some of the older Floyd stuff and also some of the old Hawkwind stuff man and yes I did listen to the entire track.
    Some of the cooler true off the cuff spontaneous pieces from over the years I have captured.
    https://app.box.com/s/hi3so3xhrf4m758wxbvw
    https://app.box.com/s/si1y0vger50vph3b2no0
    https://app.box.com/s/fma3sagx3wfc04k9mmds
    https://app.box.com/s/q6u4nggyksy02m4mttdr
    https://app.box.com/s/hcffmbpity6127puiafl
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...songID=6790849
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...songID=6777974
    https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...songID=9154872
    Rare to see folk doing this kind of stuff man!!
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-18-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, 99 Mex modded Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

  10. #10
    Sock Market Trader GuitarStv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13,704

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Reamped the guitar tracks today and added the tambourine track. No vocals yet, but here's what we have thus far:



    The guitar track is my '62 Fender reissue with a DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge.
    Pedals used: Catalinbread Naga Viper, MXR micro flange, Hartman Tommy Bolin Fuzz, MXR Phase 90 (Script), BOSS Space Echo (in fx loop).
    Amp used: EAST Studio 2
    Cabinet used: 1970s Hiwatt 4x12
    Bass is a Steinbeger 5 string fretless into an MXR bass di+ into an SSL channel strip
    Synths used: Yamaha TX7, Moog Mother-32, 2hp Pluck
    I like the synth sound you're getting. I feel like some of the the lead guitar is overpowering the rest of the song in parts (around 11:37, 11:51, etc.). It's a decent song, kinda a Pink Floyd meets Stranger Things vibe.

    :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

  11. #11
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Cool and good to see someone else here doing stuff like this. I work in a circle of folk who do spontaneous stuff regularly. We are doing worship stuff so it's a little different environment but the same concept. I record regularly because you just never know when something cool is just going to come.
    Always a good idea!

    Your clip reminded me of some of the older Floyd stuff and also some of the old Hawkwind stuff man and yes I did listen to the entire track.
    LOL -- that's what I said, but also reminds me a bit of Tangerine Dream, too. Thanks for listening and commenting!

    Thanks for sharing, I will check them out!

    Rare to see folk doing this kind of stuff man!!
    Agreed.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

  12. #12
    Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    9
    Posts
    12,555

    Default Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I like the synth sound you're getting. I feel like some of the the lead guitar is overpowering the rest of the song in parts (around 11:37, 11:51, etc.). It's a decent song, kinda a Pink Floyd meets Stranger Things vibe.

    :P
    Thanks for listening and commenting! This isn't mixed yet; there are lots of imbalances and such that need to be worked out!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •